Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Quillz said:

I don't even get it... What did Nike have against purple? Especially given its the Lakers, *the* team you think of when you think of purple (I would assume, maybe the Vikings are just as commonplace). I'm not necessarily of the belief that any given identity is "untouchable," but to me, the Lakers wearing purple on the road is about as set in stone as the Yanks wearing pinstripes. I really would have thought Nike would have respected that.

Hopefully the Lakers simply choose to wear purple on the road more often than not. Again, I'm not sure how the new uniform system works, maybe they can't do that.

There isn't exactly a system. Nike chooses. They schedule it out.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Just now, Still MIGHTY said:

There isn't exactly a system. Nike chooses. They schedule it out.

Really? The team can't choose at all? That's pretty awful. I actually really like how baseball does it now: pretty much any jersey you want as long as it doesn't clash (and the team can choose, or the starting pitcher, etc.)

Curious why Nike hates purple so much.

black side panels

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Like everyone says the black stripe on the purple uniforms are terrible. However the white and gold jerseys look pretty good.

The only things I would've done different is the pattern in the neckline. It should go white purple white on the gold uniforms. And white gold white on the purples.

And besides removing the black stripe on the purples the numbers should be white with gold dropshadow just because it feels like too much gold on the purple.

1 minute ago, KevinJohnsonThaTruth said:

And besides removing the black stripe on the purples the numbers should be white with gold dropshadow just because it feels like too much gold on the purple.

And it just contrasts much better. I forgot this is how it was on the old purple jerseys, and it looked good. I believe the A's are another team that puts yellow directly against white and it just doesn't have any contrast to it. I wonder what testing is done (if any), because I honestly feel anyone looking at the jerseys would have noticed the very poor contrast. Some colors just don't work against white.

Thank God Laker fans are gonna hate the purple jersey so much AND the fact that it’s an Alternate now that they’ll get a new purple jersey next season...

the Gold should be the Association since that’s all our association has ever worn smh. 

Purple should be the ivon. Nothing more iconic than watching the Skyhook win the championship on the parquee floor or the Boston Massacre... 

I’ll start the petition my damn self. 

3 minutes ago, d11king said:

it’s an Alternate now that they’ll get a new purple jersey next season...

Okay, this kind of scares me. Maybe the striping color will change and that's it, because I do like the purple jersey for the most part and don't want to see it get bogged down with "gimmicks" (i.e. various scripts, different number fonts, etc.)

This is what those who wanted Nike get. People didnt learn their lesson with the nfl and now we suffer through everything nike has ruined now. Yeah the sleeves jerseys were ugly in most/all cases. But Adidas never :censored:ed teams main home and road looks. Also there were actual home and road looks. 

The swoosh isnt the end all be all.

1 hour ago, lbj273 said:

Lmao the Lakers just went full Knicks on the Purple unis

True...

image.png

Someone forgot to tell the designers that the whole adding BFBS to quote/unquote enhance color schemes is a fad that's been dead since the late 2000s.

2 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Am I alone when I say I like the stripe...

be nice

No, I really don't mind it. Black feels pretty forced on the Lakers, but the design in of itself doesn't bother me too much.

19 minutes ago, d11king said:

the fact that it’s an Alternate now that they’ll get a new purple jersey next season...

Statement jerseys are supposed to once every two years ... or that's at least what the Nike narrative told us last year. 

Their city jersey will (or should: see Jazz) change year to year.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

My hot take ...

• I don't mind the look on it's own. But, it's not the Lakers.
  • Being the statement jersey so of course it's going to be somewhat different, but they should have just kept the same template as the Icon and Association jerseys -- that's the Lakers. Don't mess with that. Mess with the City Jersey.
  • I kind of wish there were side panels on the Icon and Association jerseys -- it does feel like it's missing something.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

20 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

True...

image.png

Someone forgot to tell the designers that the whole adding BFBS to quote/unquote enhance color schemes is a fad that's been dead since the late 2000s.

IDK i think we are still going strong with BFBS and we are approaching heavy GFGS as well 

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Archived