Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be so overly funny, if it wasn't so sad.

Part of me feels malicious satisfaction and gloat over the fact that you got that black side panel on the purple jersey for wanting to meddle with the absolutely perfect set that they had in exchange for something retro. On the other hand, it's a blasphemy, how all the tradition was flushed down the toilet just like that with the addition of that black side panel. Seems like nothing is sacred and untouchable anymore.

Another funny out-there thought that pops in my head, is that Nike added that black panel to crap on the purple uni in order for us to swallow the new model of white at home and yellow on the road for the Lakers, since we won't see the purple uni as usable anymore.

What comes to the yellow and white sets - well, they're okay, I guess, but apart from a couple little details that don't make the look, it's the same Showtime look brought back. And, as ScubaSteve said what I had gone through in my mind over and over again lately:

20 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

Just because it's from their classic jerseys doesn't mean it makes sense, design-wse

...Just because something was done before, doesn't mean it's good and has to be brought back. It had been changed for a reason. The previous Kobe-era set worked great and was relevant in its design and didn't need changing. This new set is retro for retro's sake - the new craze in the NBA - joining the likes of the Sixers brand and unis, the Hawks' logo, Pistons' logo, and many others.

I guess on the bright side if they never wear the purple jersey and just keep wearing gold on the road we never have to see the side panel. 

spacer.png

I'd have to see the full uni, but I don't think the purple panel is that bad, though as previously stated, it clashes with all the white on the front of the jersey.  

Don't get me wrong - it's such a departure from the classic Lakers aesthetic that I don't think they should ever have even considered it, but out of context, it's not terrible.

What is tragic (from a uni standpoint) is that the purple is barely in their rotation anymore.  IMO the yellow should only be worn at home, and on the road, it should be purple (if the home team is wearing white) or white (if the home team is wearing their dark.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Listen - 2 out of the 3 jerseys are absolutely fine. I thought the purple was the weakest one just looking at it from the front anyway. For the fact that the two most commonly worn jerseys will be OK, and that the purple is now essentially an alternate, I’ll give NIKE and the Lakers a B- for this. 

That said, can someone Photoshop the black side panel purple? 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I will say I think the double trim on the purple would have worked better on the gold and white uniforms. It has a nice scale relationship with the drop shadow on the number, and it avoids looking like an old Jazz uniform, which is what the three-color trim reminds me of.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The thing that really bugs me about the black side panels on the purple uniforms is that, if they were yellow, the purple set would look gorgeous (aside from the yellow numbers) and would be a nice mix between the fauxback look of the white and gold uniforms and the Kobe-era set. And that way it’d still be different from the white and gold sets, but would also still look like the Lakers. That said though, they really should’ve just had the purple set follow the same template as the other two.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I did some "man on the street" questions today with a combination of friends and co-workers. (Not exactly a large sample size). The reaction was pretty much what it has been here: nearly everyone I talked to liked the gold and white jersey, and didn't mind the purple jersey in of itself, but felt it wasn't much like the Lakers. Compare this to, say, the Clippers, were even John Q. Public reaction was almost immediately negative. I guess that means this is, overall, a pretty decent upgrade. Most of the issues are with the purple jersey and certainly aren't things that can't be fixed up (though I doubt they will be, since in Nike's eyes, there is nothing broken).

After sleeping on it. I like the purple but not for the Lakers. They have too iconic of a history to be adding black to their standard purple uni. Now, if they add another purple city uni without the black all will be forgotten. 

White

Yellow

Purple

Purple/black

12 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

It's a combination of Showtime era shorts and Kobe era shorts.

DjeluKyU8AEouq-.jpg:large

The white shorts should just be a color-swapped version of those. Here’s what the purple shorts look like:

l57UqbM_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fff_3004690alt3_full.jpg&w=600

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

The white shorts should just be a color-swapped version of those. Here’s what the purple shorts look like:

l57UqbM_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fff_3004690alt3_full.jpg&w=600

Thanks for sharing; the shorts, though, are disgusting.

I like that the black stripe carries into the shorts.  I don't like that the yellow (and presumably white) shorts will have a stripe that isn't carried up to the jersey.  The inconsistency is maddening.

TBH, I'd be fine with the black on the purple jersey if the white and yellow jerseys had a similar contrasting stripe.  

Yellow w/ purple stripe

White w/ yellow stripe

Purple w/ black stripe

Not my first choice, but it strikes the balance of modern and classic, while remaining coherent and consistent.

That's not an inconsistency. Every sport has uniforms with stripes on the pants but not on the jersey. The only inconsistency is that that the purple uniforms have those awful side panels while the others don't.

17 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

It's a combination of Showtime era shorts and Kobe era shorts.

DjeluKyU8AEouq-.jpg:large

I think it's pretty obvious they wanted the gold unis to look really sharp. Those shorts look good...just a simple update of the 80s shorts.

The purple set..."Meh, let's play around with it".

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

28 minutes ago, Ark said:

That's not an inconsistency. Every sport has uniforms with stripes on the pants but not on the jersey. The only inconsistency is that that the purple uniforms have those awful side panels while the others don't.

Tha'ts what I'm talking about.  The purple jersey has the black side panel that carries down to the shorts.  The yellow and white don't, but they still have shorts stripes.  They should have picked one design or the other. 

The presence of the side panel on the purple jersey annoys me more than the color of the side panel.

Archived