Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

On 8/5/2018 at 10:01 AM, pepis21 said:

By the way where is that tweaked logo? Anyone see it?

It doesn't exist. The team's new unis have the logo on the waistband, and it's the same one they've been using since 2001.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It doesn't exist. The team's new unis have the logo on the waistband, and it's the same one they've been using since 2001.

Yes, I know, but there was a rumors about new logo so what happened? It was a fake news or Lakers ditched the idea or what?

4r2eer.png

19 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

Not a fan of that 3D block type of numbering. Especially on the yellow Jessie’s which have a white shade behind the numbers 

I like it because I think it's just enough to be noticeable but doesn't go overboard. Looking back at the Showtime era jerseys, the drop shadow was way, way too extreme. It might have had its charm, but that was wisely left in the past. I think what the Lakers are doing now is pretty good, a nice little effect without being overly distracting. (Oddly enough, the drop shadow style they're using is really simple to do. In something like Illustrator, just copy the number, put it on a lower layer, then drop it down like 30-35 tics or so).

4 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Yes, I know, but there was a rumors about new logo so what happened? It was a fake news or Lakers ditched the idea or what?

Someone made a mistake while reporting it. 

The fact that the new uniforms use the logo thats been in use since 2001 says to me that the current logo was meant to be utilized with the new uniforms from the start. 

Any new logo would have been too integral to the new look to scrap. Which means there was no updated logo. Someone was either lying or made a mistake while reporting something they had heard. 

Simple as that. 

@colortv I think it’s going to be a little darker than the banana but I presume the jersey will still be as light as the yellow on the Lakers floor. 

The jersey looks good, but I really hope they don’t wear white and black accessories. Last year I thought we (yes we) looked best with the purple leg sleeves and purple socks (gold uniform). Not sure if Stance still does the NBA socks but they had some pretty dope patterns two seasons ago. 

I honestly think the purple jersey will have the black removed from it next season. This just feels like one of those legendary uniform blunders that will be remembered for years to come. Up there with the 1984 Browns, the Islanders fisherman, you get what I'm saying.

bSLCtu2.png

Well wasn't the going theory last year that Statement (third) jerseys would be changed every other year, and City (fourth) jerseys would be changed every year? Assuming there's some truth to that -- even if it's just that Statement jerseys will change relatively frequently if not literally every other year -- and given that the apparent rigidity of the classification system means white and yellow are the primary two Lakers jerseys, then I think we're destined for a series of purple jerseys that change frequently just for change's sake. At least until some sanity is regained in the Nike era.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I honestly think the purple jersey will have the black removed from it next season. This just feels like one of those legendary uniform blunders that will be remembered for years to come. Up there with the 1984 Browns, the Islanders fisherman, you get what I'm saying.

Name any recent example that would make you "honestly think" that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, d11king said:

Not sure if Stance still does the NBA socks but they had some pretty dope patterns two seasons ago. 

They do, but the on-court socks are by Nike.

On 8/5/2018 at 9:46 PM, Quillz said:

Parity in the NBA has also always bugged me... Haven't something like half the teams in the league not even won a championship? But I think so much of it has to do with the nature of the sport. Basketball is perhaps the one sport where the individual can have the largest influence on the on-field events. The NBA has always been defined by superstars, and there are only so many and so many teams they play on.

NBA has 16 unique franchises with championships since the NBA-ABA merger(1976), where as the NHL has 19 in the Stanley Cup era(1915).  NFL has 20 different teams with championships in the Super Bowl era(1966).  Just added their 20th this year(Eagles).  So parity isn't really a problem.  But one NBA team can be lifted for years by one superstar(Russell, Jordan, Duncan etc) and stay in contention for much longer than an NFL or NHL team, due to there only being 5 players on the court and the fact that the superstar plays both ways.

Here’s another look:

DkH_-FTUwAANBzW?format=jpg

And before anyone comments about the gold looking like banana yellow in this shot, there’s a pretty obvious filter that’s likely making it appear that way. 

Also, the more I see of the new gold uni, the more I think this is a pretty significant upgrade (except for the purple set, obviously). I think it’s a pretty good mix between the Showtime Lakers unis and the Kobe-era set of the last ~20 years. There are still some flaws, such as the solid purple trim on the back of the neck, but overall I think it’s a pretty tasteful update to the classic Lakers look (again, except for the horrible purple uniform). Frankly I felt like the last set was looking pretty dated 5-6 years ago, so going back to a more classic and retro look was a smart move IMO.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

9 hours ago, Webfooter said:

After seeing these on actual players now, I'm starting to not like the retro design as they just feel dated after the modern unis they had for nearly 2 decades.

Agreed. There is not a single element that is an improvement over the last set.  Sure the wishbone collar needed a replacement, but these bastardized showtime uni's are clunky and muddled. Showtime yellow unis should have been a throwback and that's it.

Archived