Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

6 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I honestly think the purple jersey will have the black removed from it next season. This just feels like one of those legendary uniform blunders that will be remembered for years to come. Up there with the 1984 Browns, the Islanders fisherman, you get what I'm saying.

Well according to the Nike NBA systems we're getting a new statement jersey about every two seasons. Prepare to be disappointed again in 2020. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Name any recent example that would make you "honestly think" that.

Arizona Diamondbacks. Los Angeles Rams (kinda, with the navy jerseys at least).

Also, I’ve seen the replicas in the stores and no they’re NOT the same shade of gold as the originals. They’re still slightly banana yellow. Dammit, Nike.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

Yellow shorts, white calf socks, and black high tops are straight out of grandpa's summertime wardrobe.

He might as well be wearing sandals with those white calf socks. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Still a shame he went to LA, but better than Boston...

Anyway, glad to see they have the side panels on the shorts, but that was probably confirmed already. Overall, nice update of the showtime look, though I'm not sure I prefer it to the modern set they've been using. 

10 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The Edmonton Oilers got rid of the shoulder yoke on their white jersey in 1997, one year after they switched to navy.

14 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The current Cleveland Browns? They would've changed uniforms if not for the NFL rules.

I don't know the exact thoughts of Lakers management but I do know Lakers fans aren't into the purple jersey at all.

bSLCtu2.png

40 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Guys. It's yellow. Not gold.

Why don't people get this?? It's the same yellow as last year. Lakers fans complained about this last year with the switch to Nike and the Lakers acknowledged it but did nothing about it. It seems like Nike wanted to save money and just use the yellow in stock. 

18 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Still a shame he went to LA, but better than Boston...

Anyway, glad to see they have the side panels on the shorts, but that was probably confirmed already. Overall, nice update of the showtime look, though I'm not sure I prefer it to the modern set they've been using. 

It was time for a change with the set they previously used for the past 20 years. Once Kobe retired and the Lakers literally had to start all over, a new set is something I was praying for, especially to usher in a new era. 

If not for this stupid association/icon crap and those horrid purple uniforms, these uniforms would’ve been perfect for this current team. 

22 hours ago, M4One said:

The Edmonton Oilers got rid of the shoulder yoke on their white jersey in 1997, one year after they switched to navy.

21 years ago is not recent.  Different era in terms of merchandising and marketing.  Also no league-wide contracts.

18 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The current Cleveland Browns? They would've changed uniforms if not for the NFL rules.

I don't know the exact thoughts of Lakers management but I do know Lakers fans aren't into the purple jersey at all.

So your example of why you think a team will change next year is a team that wanted to change but can't.

So basically, there's no reason to think they're going to change.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

21 years ago is not recent.  Different era in terms of merchandising and marketing.  Also no league-wide contracts.

So your example of why you think a team will change next year is a team that wanted to change but can't.

So basically, there's no reason to think they're going to change.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it would qualify. 

However, I do think if the hate is enough for the black panels, it's either going to be changed immediately, or quietly disappear and worn only a minimum number of times.  Even with contracts, Nike and the NBA are in the business of making money.  If none is being made on these jerseys, then there's a reason to drop them as quick as possible.

2 hours ago, M4One said:

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it would qualify. 

However, I do think if the hate is enough for the black panels, it's either going to be changed immediately, or quietly disappear and worn only a minimum number of times.  Even with contracts, Nike and the NBA are in the business of making money.  If none is being made on these jerseys, then there's a reason to drop them as quick as possible.

The only even semi-recent example I can think of is the Lightning's no-back uniforms, and even then, all they did was add black to the numbers, which didn't really require modifying any part of the jerseys that had already been produced, so that's still pretty different.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived