Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never thought I'd see the day where even the Lakers themselves ask that stupid "Did Magic Johnson play for the Magic?" question. The Magic's City uniforms this year are black - watch them end up black with purple and gold as a "Magic Johnson tribute".

Or "This uniform is Lakers colors for the lasting tradition of centers who were taken with the #1 pick going to the Lakers". That's our never-ending cycle: be bad, get lucky with the 1st pick, get a center, said center dominates, we go to the Finals one year and the ECF the next, and then that center leaves for LA and takes a huge dump on the city in the process. I guarantee that if we got the first pick this year and took Ayton, that's exactly what would've happened.

ExJworW.png

On 10/6/2018 at 3:04 AM, Ice_Cap said:

Nike. Stop. It's the Lakers. The Lakers. Stop. It's disgusting.

Nike shouldn't get all of the blame. The Lakers were wearing black before the changeover.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

48 minutes ago, colortv said:

Not on the classic uniforms.

Yeah, but there was no need to add black to their color scheme in the first place. That started the whole thing.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

5 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

Yeah, but there was no need to add black to their color scheme in the first place. That started the whole thing.

Black was already a team color but mostly for the logo and the court. They can wear black, I don't mind it but I do mind when the black is on the main uniforms like they are now. They ruined the purple uniform and it upsets me. I don't mind the City uniform being wacky because that's what it's for but if I had my choice, I'd just have a black version of the white jersey for it like last time.

I was into this because it stayed within the "Lakers Uniform Rules" for lack of a better term. It's a Lakers jersey but this time it's black. That works.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2013%2F1128%2Fla_ua_you

Then you have the current Statement uniform which basically craps all over the idea that the Lakers should look like the Lakers. They look like the 1999 Knicks and you know what's funny about that? The Knicks uniform looks better.

R5fQCxu.pngT4Q3iwg.png

bSLCtu2.png

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Black was already a team color but mostly for the logo and the court. They can wear black, I don't mind it but I do mind when the black is on the main uniforms like they are now. They ruined the purple uniform and it upsets me. I don't mind the City uniform being wacky because that's what it's for but if I had my choice, I'd just have a black version of the white jersey for it like last time.

I was into this because it stayed within the "Lakers Uniform Rules" for lack of a better term. It's a Lakers jersey but this time it's black. That works.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2013%2F1128%2Fla_ua_you

Then you have the current Statement uniform which basically craps all over the idea that the Lakers should look like the Lakers. They look like the 1999 Knicks and you know what's funny about that? The Knicks uniform looks better.

R5fQCxu.pngT4Q3iwg.png

Unpopular opinion: I LIKED that Knicks look, both home and road.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

The Hollywood Nights jerseys that the Lakers had a few years ago were actually pretty cool. What I liked about them is that they served as an alternate while preserving the primary road and home jerseys. That's what Nike should've done: create a black, purple, and gold alternate based on the Hollywood Nights jersey. I know it's BFBS, but I get what they were shooting for. It's one of those things that can work if it's tastefully done. Just leave the primaries alone.

And for the record, black worked really well as a tertiary color for the Knicks.

I'm with @Old School Fool on this one. I'm fine with the black. It works as an alternate jersey. But, yeah, I hate that they crapped it all over the purple Statement Jersey. I hate it even more than their shade of yellow/gold.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived