Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

5 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

. What is a Magic Johnson tribute uniform *supposed* to look like?

It shouldn't look like anything.  It shouldn't exist.  The fact that the question even has to be asked is a testament to that. 

I don't mind alternates or special jerseys, as long as they serve to enhance or extend the brand.  When there's 5 or 6 jerseys in all different colors per team, that dilutes, erodes, and devalues the brands.

The Lakers brand is partially based in their traditional uniform set, and especially the gold at home.  When they introduced white, I'm sure it was controversial, but I liked it.  I felt the way they used it actually enhanced the brand.

Very few - if any - of these "city edition", "earned", "whatever" jerseys were designed with the team's brand in mind.  THey were designed with Nike's brand in mind.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The Lakers brand is partially based in their traditional uniform set, and especially the gold at home.  When they introduced white, I'm sure it was controversial, but I liked it.  I felt the way they used it actually enhanced the brand.

Very few - if any - of these "city edition", "earned", "whatever" jerseys were designed with the team's brand in mind.  THey were designed with Nike's brand in mind.

Disagree on the first, agree on the second.

I remember when the Lakers introduced white and I thought it absolutely devalued their brand. Prior to the white, the Lakers were the only team in the NBA allowed to wear a non-white jersey at home. That was pretty special. By that point, the home/road designation had begun to erode with so many alternates that teams wanted to show at home (understandably), but the Lakers gave up something when they introduced white. Plus Kobe's 82-point game was in white which never sat well with me.

To the second, I really, really don't like that Nike has gotten people to use made-up words to discuss uniforms. I was more or less okay with home/road/"city", but "earned" is stupid and I refuse to learn what it means and how it applies.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

27 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I refuse to learn what it means and how it applies.

It means that it's a special jersey for teams that qualified for the playoffs in the previous season (i.e. they "earned" the right to wear it). This is why the Lakers don't have one but the Warriors do.

2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I have to disagree, I don’t think its progressive to just let any design go by without judgement, although it’s not the worst, a design like this shouldn’t be passed off like it’s untouchable because it’s different

Do i like the black? It’s not the worst but it’s still bad  Do i like the pinstripes? It’s not the worst, but it’s still bad.

If it was unveiled back when’s magic plaed it would still be bad, i understand you’re point, but this isn’t more of us being close minded and more the creators and designers made a mistake and this shouldn’t be something worn on the court in 2018.

Atleast in my opinion that is, were all entiled to our own.

I think we agree — my point that “all new design is not necessarily good design” seems to align with your first sentence here.

Also, I don’t think disliking designs of individual uniforms is closed-minded — we all have different tastes. I think the closed-mindedness (in this thread, and perhaps moreso the NBA Changes thread) applies to people who can’t articulate their dislike for any reasons other than “it’s new, it’s different, I don’t like it.”

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It shouldn't look like anything.  It shouldn't exist.  The fact that the question even has to be asked is a testament to that. 

I don't mind alternates or special jerseys, as long as they serve to enhance or extend the brand.  When there's 5 or 6 jerseys in all different colors per team, that dilutes, erodes, and devalues the brands.

I’m not sure I follow — teams can have alternate or special uniforms as long as they enhance or extend the brand, but this Magic Johnson uniform shouldn’t exist and only serves Nike’s brand?

It honors a former Laker, uses the team’s traditional purple and gold color palette, retains the team’s traditional wordmark plus numeral font and drop shadow, and roughly adheres to the simple collar-and-armhole trim jerseys with waistband-and-side panel trim shorts. Diversions from the historical Lakers brand include the use of black, though not entirely new, the inclusion of pinstripes, and the additional “LOS ANGELES” wordmark. 

I agree that some of Nike’s recent NBA designs dilute and erode the teams’ original brands, but I struggle to see it here. How exactly are you supposed to enhance or extend a brand?

1 hour ago, SuperNerdToTheRescue said:

That was just in 2013, and I don't really count that one since Adidas just slapped the entire logo onto that jersey.

2013, my mistake. I'd actually count this, because full logo or not it has LA on it.

BTW I always thought their "Hollywood Nights" jersey should have and old Los Angeles wordmark on it, it would look so much better than with Lakers.

4r2eer.png

The white jersey the Lakers introduced was dope.. the fact that they’ve only worn them on Sundays and originally Christmas, made it even special. (On top of the fact that the were created in honor of Chick Hearn). Lakers stuck to tradition, the only jersey really designed after that was the Hollywood Nights jersey.. 

If Nike had kept the original purple jersey, and made these City uniforms, I don’t think the Lakers would be getting this heat. The City uniforms would’ve just been another failed attempt by Nike with City uniforms. Only like 5 jerseys, if that, were good. 

If these City uniforms were black with purple striping and numbers, the Lakers would have the best jerseys in the league. 

9 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

It seems like an overwhelming majority of people on this site insist on all 30 teams having just two uniforms - one light (strictly referred to as the "home" uniform and worn for all 41 home games), one dark (strictly referred to as the "away" uniform and worn for all 41 away games) - with designs created multiple decades ago that will never be changed. Obviously this is a bit hyperbole, but for the most progressive professional sports league on the planet it baffles me how seemingly regressive and closed-minded so many people on this site can be. I'm not suggesting all new design is good design; however, certainly not all change can be this bad.

For example, I understand the uproar over the Lakers' new purple Statement Edition uniform -- the black side panels are unprecedented, without reason, and inconsistent with the white Association Edition and yellow Icon Edition uniforms. 

But I don't quite get the backlash over a Magic Johnson "Lore Series" City Edition uniform. What is a Magic Johnson tribute uniform *supposed* to look like? Should it just be a carbon copy of an exact uniform he wore? I personally don't think so -- that's what Classic Edition uniforms are for, after all.

Anyways, all that said, I think these will look surprisingly sharp once we see them in action.

I agree 100%. As much as I love the "traditional set". I've always love even more one-off alternate uniforms to mix it up from time to time.

When I play as my Bulls, or sometimes the Pacers on NBA 2K, I utilize the entire uniform catalog. It adds more variety appeal.

shado_logo.gif

15 hours ago, Lights Out said:

As a Clipper fan, it feels good not having the worst uniforms in LA anymore. Thanks, Nike!

You're not going to get away with posting this. The Clippers uniforms are still crappy. My main issue with the Clippers uniforms is that the font they use isn't very good and I preferred the script font. That script font made them look like the Clippers to me.

USATSI_6822192_149008644_lowres.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

16 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

I’m not sure I follow — teams can have alternate or special uniforms as long as they enhance or extend the brand, but this Magic Johnson uniform shouldn’t exist and only serves Nike’s brand?

It honors a former Laker

How?

Seriously - I see this claim repeated a lot without anything to support it.   How is this specific design supposed to honor Magic Johnson?

19 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

How?

Seriously - I see this claim repeated a lot without anything to support it.   How is this specific design supposed to honor Magic Johnson?

Exactly. I still don’t understand this claim yet and haven’t seen anything that explains it. I don’t recall Magic ever wearing pinstripes at any level. I don’t recall him ever wearing a substantial amount of black on a uniform or even black accessories at any level. He never, to my knowledge, wore a uniform that said the full team name on it or even simply “Los Angeles” for that matter. The only three things remotely “Magic” about it are the fact it’s purple, says “Lakers”, and the numbers are drop shadowed. And if THAT’S the only justification for it, and the rest is just an excuse to roll out a poor fashion jersey for the sake of it, then this thing is extremely lacking in execution and purpose fulfillment.

The Kobe Black Mamba uniform made perfect sense and did what it was designed to do - this, unless there’s some extremely obscure references that I and a whole lot of others just aren’t getting, is the polar opposite. It’s not bad because it’s new, folks; It’s bad because it makes no sense. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Exactly. I still don’t understand this claim yet and haven’t seen anything that explains it. I don’t recall Magic ever wearing pinstripes at any level. I don’t recall him ever wearing a substantial amount of black on a uniform or even black accessories at any level. He never, to my knowledge, wore a uniform that said the full team name on it or even simply “Los Angeles” for that matter. The only three things remotely “Magic” about it are the fact it’s purple, says “Lakers”, and the numbers are drop shadowed. And if THAT’S the only justification for it, and the rest is just an excuse to roll out a poor fashion jersey for the sake of it, then this thing is extremely lacking in execution and purpose fulfillment.

The Kobe Black Mamba uniform made perfect sense and did what it was designed to do - this, unless there’s some extremely obscure references that I and a whole lot of others just aren’t getting, is the polar opposite. It’s not bad because it’s new, folks; It’s bad because it makes no sense. 

This 2017 ESPN feature on last year's Kobe-inspired jerseys implied that Nike was just going to get Kobe's final approval on a jersey that had nothing to do with his career until he asserted himself into the process.

But with four jerseys unlocking so many new options, Nike had the chance to shoot for something out of the box with a uniform the team might wear only a handful of times. They could reinvent the brand without really reinventing it.

"They have always had a more traditional aesthetic," Montoya says. "This was an opportunity to look at something more progressive." They toyed with the idea of enlarging the ball in the team's primary logo and blowing up the logo itself -- a play on the Lakers being "larger than life," Montoya says. They showed Bryant mock-ups of orange, sunset-themed jerseys that would hint at L.A.'s weather and glamorous nightlife.

"It was about embracing Los Angeles -- embracing the nightcap, and the sunset," Montoya says. "Seize the game, and seize the end of the day. That was compelling."

They ran every mock design past Bryant. He liked the sunset theme, but his mind kept going back to the black mamba. "We talked about playing off the weather and the sunset -- all this gimmicky s---," Bryant says. "But it all felt like trying to talk ourselves out of the simplest idea. In the end, you have to get right to the truth of it." The Lakers and Nike might return to that sunset theme in future alternates, but everyone agreed to go with the snake motif.

10 hours ago, truepg said:

Did anyone notice the Lakers yellow looking the right "golden" shade in the last night's game against the Warriors?

From Oct 10th game in Vegas:

Warriors-Lakers-04.jpg?w=620

Doesn't look like bananas.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

How?

This comes back to one of my original questions: what does a Magic Johnson “Lore Series” City Edition uniform look like? You and others insist this isn’t it....but what is? Is it possible to create a new uniform design to honor a former player? Or is the only option to trot everybody out there in the ‘80s Lakers throwbacks with short shorts and blue knee pads?

The ‘SHOWTIME’ pinstripes and ‘32’ belt buckle logo are certainly more subtle than the all-over snakeskin print for last season’s uniform tribute to Kobe Bryant, but those are pretty clearly included in reference to Magic Johnson.  

18 minutes ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

This comes back to one of my original questions: what does a Magic Johnson “Lore Series” City Edition uniform look like? You and others insist this isn’t it....but what is? Is it possible to create a new uniform design to honor a former player? Or is the only option to trot everybody out there in the ‘80s Lakers throwbacks with short shorts and blue knee pads?

The ‘SHOWTIME’ pinstripes and ‘32’ belt buckle logo are certainly more subtle than the all-over snakeskin print for last season’s uniform tribute to Kobe Bryant, but those are pretty clearly included in reference to Magic Johnson.  

Okay, but is printing SHOWTIME on a jersey a successful tribute to a legend of the 80s? I’m leaning no. They could have printed SHAQ or RAMBIS in place of that and it’d be no different.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

28 minutes ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

This comes back to one of my original questions: what does a Magic Johnson “Lore Series” City Edition uniform look like? You and others insist this isn’t it....but what is?

The only thing that qualifies would be a jersey that has his face or image sublimated on it.  Pinstripes with words don't "honor" Magic Johnson.

They made a uniform first, then tried to backfill a story.  That's how it seems that a lot of these Nike designs work.  Why the F do they even need a Magic Johnson jersey?  The whole idea is silly.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived