Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

It says 32, has Showtime in the pinstripes, it's clear what this is about even if it doesn't fit what it should be but you have to ask yourself what the hell should it be then? Do we blow up Magic's face and put it on the front of the jersey? Do we have it say Lakers in an old school Michigan State script? Do we have a Magicians hat's as an all over print? Maybe they shouldn't of done this at all? I don't know.

bSLCtu2.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Digby said:

Okay, but is printing SHOWTIME on a jersey a successful tribute to a legend of the 80s? I’m leaning no. They could have printed SHAQ or RAMBIS in place of that and it’d be no different.

That’s it exactly.  

These “tributes” are as generic as possible.  They don’t actually reference Magic Johnson in any meaningful way, and any other player could be substituted in his place with the most minor of adjustments.   

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The only thing that qualifies would be a jersey that has his face or image sublimated on it.  Pinstripes with words don't "honor" Magic Johnson.

They made a uniform first, then tried to backfill a story.  That's how it seems that a lot of these Nike designs work.  Why the F do they even need a Magic Johnson jersey?  The whole idea is silly.

Seems painfully obvious. 

I’m usually very reluctant to use the word “lazy” in uniform design.  But that’s really the only word that fits here.  If they really want us to believe that this uniform was designed to honor Magic Johnson, then they really did pick the laziest way to do it.  They slapped a bit of text on a totally unrelated uniform and called it a day. 

And to be clear I think that there are ways of making this “tribute” uni idea successful, divorcing that from whether the concept on the whole or the Nike scheme works.

the snakeskin/Black Mamba thing worked. Someone in this thread — forgot who, apologies — proposed a Kareem tribute in UCLA colors, which makes sense on like four or five levels.

But I can’t say any permutation of the Lakers having two purple jerseys with mostly black accents in one year makes sense.

(the kicker is: I actually kinda like the leak here, but I object to a) the regular purple jersey having that horrid black stripe, and b) painful awkward attempts at marketing nonsense as we see with the Magic tribute crap.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I agree with you all in the sense that it isn’t the clearest or most prominent way to honor Magic with a uniform. If anything, I think it’s more of a lazy tribute than it is a bad-looking uniform. Last season’s Kobe version was an infinitely clearer and better-executed tribute — designs like that are what make me think you can design a new uniform referencing a former player without an overwhelming majority of people hating it. 

On 10/12/2018 at 1:09 PM, Conrad. said:

Looks better than their normal purple unis, but i'm not completely sold. I prefer last season's City uni to this one for the Lake Show. I would have to like to have seen purple and black reversed in this new uni, though I guess maybe it'd be too close to last season's look and wouldn't sell as well.

Black and purple reversed would just look too much like the BFBS Hollywood Nights jerseys.

Related image

8 hours ago, Quillz said:

I can't wait for the Celtics to honor Brian Scalabrine with a yellow-and-red pinstripe jersey.

The Scalabrine jersey will have a sponsor patch for Newports. Nike introduces the first performance scally cap as an accessory.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

As I said in the general Lakers thread, the notion that this is somehow a Magic Johnson tribute is farcical.  It’s empty press-release puffery that keeps getting regurgitated without anyone questioning its silly premise. 

I’m usually very reluctant to use the word “lazy” in uniform design.  But that’s really the only word that fits here.  If they really want us to believe that this uniform was designed to honor Magic Johnson, then they really did pick the laziest way to do it.  They slapped a bit of text on a totally unrelated uniform and called it a day. 

11 hours ago, daveindc said:

Black and purple reversed would just look too much like the BFBS Hollywood Nights jerseys.

Related image

These were hated at the time, but they’re so much better than any alternate that has come since. But then I’m not a big fan of the “throwback” overhaul for the Lakers to begin with, I think what they had was superior..

12 hours ago, Quillz said:

I can't wait for the Celtics to honor Brian Scalabrine with a yellow-and-red pinstripe jersey.

Hire me, Nike. 

7cS7wv6.png

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

As long as I’ve been on this site I’ve yet to figure out how to install images but here’s my idea on what I thought a Magic Johnson tribute would look like. 

In the early 2000’s, the Orlando Magic had jerseys where they had faded star graphics included throughout the design.. I thought the use of stars was going to be a given for this jersey, considering the name Magic. 

I thought they would use the use of blue somehow someway on the shorts as a tribute to the blue knee pads Magic wore throughout his NBA career. 

I would’ve been fine with the pinstripes (had they been the right color - purple) as a tribute to Magic’s business endeavors off the court, but I don’t work for Nike. They’re failing right now, and it’s quite annoying. 

Has as anyone seen the new Oregon uniforms with the gigantic numbers??? Yeahno

6 hours ago, projectjohn said:

These were hated at the time, but they’re so much better than any alternate that has come since. But then I’m not a big fan of the “throwback” overhaul for the Lakers to begin with, I think what they had was superior..

I actually always loved those jerseys, except for these renditions ...

kobe-sleeves-2.jpg

#DeathToSleevedJerseys

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, d11king said:

As long as I’ve been on this site I’ve yet to figure out how to install images but here’s my idea on what I thought a Magic Johnson tribute would look like. 

In the early 2000’s, the Orlando Magic had jerseys where they had faded star graphics included throughout the design.. I thought the use of stars was going to be a given for this jersey, considering the name Magic. 

I thought they would use the use of blue somehow someway on the shorts as a tribute to the blue knee pads Magic wore throughout his NBA career. 

I would’ve been fine with the pinstripes (had they been the right color - purple) as a tribute to Magic’s business endeavors off the court, but I don’t work for Nike. They’re failing right now, and it’s quite annoying. 

Has as anyone seen the new Oregon uniforms with the gigantic numbers??? Yeahno

And, the jersey doesn't have to be very fancy. I think the template with the current Statement purple jersey with the sublimated stars would work perfectly -- that's Showtime. And, Magic was Showtime. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

16 hours ago, SuperNerdToTheRescue said:

nu6kc37ru7s11.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

From the Lakers subreddit. I prefer the LeBron photoshop that removed the "Los Angeles" wordmark.

The yellow socks and presumably yellow leg sleeves/compression pants (I personally prefer black) may help it’s case. I envision Nike going to try and make them wear this on Staples Center where the jersey may not look as bad?

The fact that the Lakers have two purple jerseys, and neither are the traditional road jersey they should have is going to be hard for me s personally to let go of, as a Laker myself lol. 

Already can’t wait for next year. 

On 10/13/2018 at 3:29 PM, SuperNerdToTheRescue said:

"They have always had a more traditional aesthetic," Montoya says. "This was an opportunity to look at something more progressive." They toyed with the idea of enlarging the ball in the team's primary logo and blowing up the logo itself -- a play on the Lakers being "larger than life," Montoya says. They showed Bryant mock-ups of orange, sunset-themed jerseys that would hint at L.A.'s weather and glamorous nightlife.

"It was about embracing Los Angeles -- embracing the nightcap, and the sunset," Montoya says. "Seize the game, and seize the end of the day. That was compelling."

vXVyTwd.png

Archived