TJSC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, colortv said:

Apparently the logo will be undergoing minor tweaks,

https://mobile.twitter.com/fv4hunnid/status/1015330997162766336/photo/1

Also:

I was going to post this earlier. There’s also one they did with Lebron. It makes me think they know something, and are doing this right now as feelers and to study what fans are saying. Chris’s mock ups are almost spot on to what I think we’ll get. 

New wordmark and a more modern stripe on the shorts. 

4 hours ago, TJSC said:

So going by the above the home uniforms will have purple numbers but going by the below they would be white with purple dropshadow.

3 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

I’d be cool with this.

DhhVW0FVMAADC8M?format=jpg

To me, the drop shadows are essential to their look. The Lakers look so ordinary without them. I compare it to the NY Rangers. The drop shadowed wordmark on their sweaters is iconic. For awhile they wore darker blue "New York" alternates. The wordmark wasn't italicized and it didn't have drop shadows. Why veer from a famous and beloved look?

They can alter the logo but they shouldn't stray away from the general iconic look. Here's an old version of the current Lakers logo when they still were a blue and white team. Upon seeing the Lakers wordmark on this logo, you can clearly see the resemblance to water here.

bA0ounI.png

bSLCtu2.png

26 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

They can alter the logo but they shouldn't stray away from the general iconic look. Here's an old version of the current Lakers logo when they still were a blue and white team. Upon seeing the Lakers wordmark on this logo, you can clearly see the resemblance to water here.

bA0ounI.png

Wow, I’ve never seen that before. I always assumed all the lines were meant to convey motion, which I never understood. 

6 hours ago, dont care said:

Am I the only one that sees that as just a photoshop of the old Cavs jersey to try and look like a lakers one? I am surprised they didnt use the old gold alternate though. 

It’s clearly a photoshop...but the number font with the drop shadow is definitely part of the new unis. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

22 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Is it?  Or is it a later logo recolored?

where'd you get it?

It's a real logo from a Lakers program around 1966 that I found on Google. There's a bunch more from the same era with variations on the logo. Nothing seems to have been set in stone on what the official version of the logo was but the general idea was there.

unD9H5o.jpg

nba-playoff-program_los-angeles-lakers_1

nba-program_los-angeles-lakers_1965-66_1

5153HO%2BpFkL._SL1000_.jpg

lf?set=path%5B1%2F4%2F7%2F0%2F1470673%5D

Once they began playing at The Forum with the purple and gold, the current logo as we know it started being used.

1967-los-angeles-lakers-san-diego_1_5fe6

Also I want to say, in the NBA 2K video games for awhile, they used this logo for the 1964 Lakers. I've never seen that one before.

xI4nfCm.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

6 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

bA0ounI.png

This is what they need; to go back and find an old, if not original version of the logo and re-build it digitally.

If you look at several teams with older logos in the present day, many of them were done quite poorly when they were first converted to vector art, and that poor facsimile of the original artwork goes on to live as truth, sometimes for decades. Go back to the originals, though, and you can find much better, cleaner, and well constructed artwork. Just look at this Lakers logo and how much nicer the letterforms and spacing/alignment are compared to the team’s “official” logo.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I love the last set, but these will probably be an improvement.  I don't see any drop shadow on the leaks, but some people have been saying that they do.

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

Great news that they are updating the logo too. Finally! Updating it doesn't mean losing its integrity at all, just improving the shapes to bring the design to this day and making it look clean and professional, while keeping the same basic shape. Something that was long due. Btw, kerning and baseline inconsistencies are least of its problems.

A shame if they are changing the jersey wordmark indeed to the one that is seen on the practice jerseys, on the other hand. Say what you want, but the wordmark used on the jerseys to this day is far superior and better designed, and I'd like to see the new logo be based on that script.

Either way, I'm eager to see what they will come up with.  

I just hope they go with gradients and sublimation. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

46 minutes ago, truepg said:

A shame if they are changing the jersey wordmark indeed to the one that is seen on the practice jerseys, on the other hand. Say what you want, but the wordmark used on the jerseys to this day is far superior and better designed, and I'd like to see the new logo be based on that script.

Either way, I'm eager to see what they will come up with.  

I can’t agree there. The current uniform wordmark is really just an updated version of the older one, with some fixes like an L that’s the same angle as the other letters, more even spacing, and cleaner forms, but it’s still very clunky if you look at it with a critical eye. It needs a lot of refinement that is already done in the logo wordmark, like the weight of the E and fixes to some head scratching design decisions, like chopping off the top serif on the crossbar of the E.

magic_johsnon_worthy_fb.jpg

lonzo_ball_starting_point_guard.jpg

Rather than update the non-matching jersey wordmark yet again, I think it’s the right move to use the classic lakers script from the logo (minus the splash/motion lines), provided it’s crisp and elegant like the original shown above.

I’m willing to bet the original uniform was supposed to look like the logo, but whoever was hand-cutting the letters at the time just didn’t do a great job matching it. It doesn’t really look like a purposeful mismatch like, say, the Tigers had for so many years.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived