Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, henburg said:

Agreed- in a vacuum they really wouldn't be that terrible as the old Knicks proved. It's just very odd seeing a team like the Lakers look so...different. 

My issue (bfbs aside) is that the color balance is so off. The last knicks uniforms that included black did it much better. 

These have very bright white and yellow embellishments and piping and the black sidepanels just come out of nowhere and that makes them look even more out of place. 

If they had black strokes or dropshadows on the numbers these would look better. Also the lack of arm piping makes the sidepanels look even stranger. 

usa_today_11510217.0.jpg

usatsi_11510470.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

I think of all the new NBA jerseys this year, these will probably be the most polarizing. Even over their City Jerseys "honoring" Magic Johnson. But, after watching the highlights from the game I feel like I can give my full assessment ...

I don't like them.

The black side panels are completely unnecessary and the white drop shadow under gold numbers just looks bad. It looks muddled. I really wish it just mirrored the white and gold jerseys.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

8 minutes ago, kimball said:

usa_today_11510217.0.jpg

usatsi_11510470.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

I think of all the new NBA jerseys this year, these will probably be the most polarizing. Even over their City Jerseys "honoring" Magic Johnson. But, after watching the highlights from the game I feel like I can give my full assessment ...

I don't like them.

The black side panels are completely unnecessary and the white drop shadow under gold numbers just looks bad. It looks muddled. I really wish it just mirrored the white and gold jerseys.

Yep, I agree with everything you said here. And if they really felt the need to make the purple uniform different than the gold and white sets, then they should’ve just made the side panels gold to make ‘em somewhat reminiscent of the Kobe-era purple uniforms. And you’re right, the gold numbers with white drop shadows really do look muddled. White with gold drop shadows would look so much better, and would follow the scheme of all of their previous purple sets (white numbers, gold shadow/outline).

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The design is fine. There’s nothing inherently wrong with the design. The black, on the other hand, is so forced and needless. It does not fit in at all and does not look like the Lakers. Also, the white outline on the wordmark really muddies it up. The two colors blend together to make a blob of a script and the numbers look hazy. The color balance is very poor. The white and yellow sets use a purple wordmark which contrasts very clearly against the light yellow and white. While the yellow Lakers script is traditional, I really think a white number would help restore some order to this uniform. 

16 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Do you have a credible source for this rule? The 76ers returned to previous marks when they initially brought back the red and blue identity. Likewise, the Jazz brought back the note logo.

The 76ers added the square. The Jazz changed the color. It's a rule but it's a rule that's easy to get around.

NBA rules that discarded logos go under league control and are marketed separately under what the NBA calls its “Hardwood Classics” brand.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article10287971.html

I write on this thread specifically hoping someone who has access to those who make the unis or close to the Lakers read this but those jerseys are just awful. The design isn’t that bad, and the jersey looks a lot better on the court but so much is happening within the jersey that’s so distracting. 

The bright white (omgggggg) and bright yellow combined with the dark purple and black are like two sides of the opposite spectrum and, the white and yellow are a very bad eyesore when watching the game. 

Add in the yellow wordmark and yellow numbers (should definitely be white) and it’s going to be prettt hard to watch the Lakers in the jersey on the road with the other teams colors surrounding. 

I just cant believe Nike didn’t deem the purple jerseys a thing last year, when the jerseys were normal, only to give us this... the same exact jersey with a different spin. 

I’m writing this in the hopes of someone who works for the organization or for Nike to bring back the default purple Showtime next season. (Along with the blue 1960 uniforms :) )

15 hours ago, upperV03 said:

So close to being a good look...

DqUcOr5V4AArBa3?format=jpg

...but those side panels are all kinds of disgusting:

DqUg11dU4AYWTKl?format=jpg

Saving grace of the unnecessary black stripe, it breaks up the purple shorts and leggings. Black leggings may work better

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Yep, I agree with everything you said here. And if they really felt the need to make the purple uniform different than the gold and white sets, then they should’ve just made the side panels gold to make ‘em somewhat reminiscent of the Kobe-era purple uniforms. And you’re right, the gold numbers with white drop shadows really do look muddled. White with gold drop shadows would look so much better, and would follow the scheme of all of their previous purple sets (white numbers, gold shadow/outline).

Lakers purple jerseys have never been my favorite for this reason, the mixing of the white and yellow on text elements -- I am surprised at how jarringly worse it looks with yellow numbers and a white shadow, though.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, TaylorMade said:

The 76ers added the square. The Jazz changed the color. It's a rule but it's a rule that's easy to get around.

NBA rules that discarded logos go under league control and are marketed separately under what the NBA calls its “Hardwood Classics” brand.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article10287971.html

Aha! That makes sense. I figured the Jazz and 76ers cases must have been modified enough because I do remember someone in the know (team employee, I think?) saying here like a year or two ago that the league wouldn’t allow the Hornets to bring back original Hugo when they rebranded. I can’t remember for the life of me who it was or which thread it was in, but I do remember that. 

Surely the Hornets could have modified Hugo a la the Jazz and 76ers, but probably saw a window for something new and went with it after original Hugo got denied. That’s just an assumption though, I have no inside on that (or anything, for that matter :P) 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The NBA has/had some really stupid branding rules. Old logos & uniforms are entirely off-limits unless you change them a ton (imagine if the NHL had that rule), changing your primary logo entirely cost more than just recolouring the existing one, back when they gave a damn about home & away the home had to be white (except for the Lakers because grandfather clauses), and now this "every team has 4 uniforms that they wear when we tell them to, one of which we'd really like them to change every single year" thing. It's silly.

Shoot me, but I still love the gold numbers on the purple. I really do.

But as others have said, the black is just unnecessary. There is zero need for it. There's no other word to describe it for me than unnecessary. It's not straight up bad, but it does not need to be there. At all.

If the black stripe wasn't there, I'd already own this jersey. But I can't with the black stripe.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

17 hours ago, Danny said:

They don't look anything like the Lakers.

I think the uni's themselves look very good/visually appealing. But I agree that these just don't look anything like the Lakers (sans Wordmark + number font)

I think this design would look great for another team with purple, black, yellow as their primary colors

I don’t mind the purple jerseys at all. It’s not the Lakers per se, but as a design it’s not bad. That said it not being the Lakers is a big deal so I get the hate.

I know that NBA/Nike wanted the statement jerseys to be a little more out there, but I don’t see why it couldn’t just have been a purple version of the gold. Purple could very much be considered out there as the team has demoted it to a third color behind gold and white. Thus making it more special and rare when worn.

8 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

getty-images-1053159706.jpg

Without the identifying marks on the shorts and front of the jersey, I would not have believed this was a Lakers uniform.  It just doesn't have that "feel" of the Lakers purple. The striping down the sides may be the biggest reason. Not even the black, just the yellow/white stripe that goes down the sides and blends into the shorts. It's possible that it is due to the black supplanting what had become the gold stripe on the sides.  But this looks like the uniform of a purple/black team with yellow as a secondary/tertiary color.  It's lacking that Lakers feel.

I really hope someone at the Lakers HQ is reading these comments and are discussing this internally. Hopefully they now realize this was a mistake too. 

On 10/25/2018 at 6:32 PM, logos are cool said:

I really hope someone at the Lakers HQ is reading these comments and are discussing this internally. Hopefully they now realize this was a mistake too. 

They'll read sales receipts before they read our comments.

I think the Nike cut is also hurting the purple jersey, since the side panels go all the way up to where there would normally be shoulder trim.  It's not great, but OK on the Sixers jerseys, but with black, it just kinda creates a black hole effect, where the front and back of the jersey look completely disconnected when viewed from certain angles.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived