Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/25/2018 at 7:32 PM, logos are cool said:

I really hope someone at the Lakers HQ is reading these comments and are discussing this internally. Hopefully they now realize this was a mistake too. 

I forgot about the black when I said they were ok.  I retract that.  The black is so forced.   

The other thing I'd say, about Lakers HQ or whomever that's not the manufacturer, is this: 15 or so years ago the Lakers rolled out a white jersey, as their Sunday alternate, fine, whatever. But then they used white as the base jersey color for their marquee Christmas Day games, their Latinx promotion games, basically all the special ones. And the black jerseys started rolling out in the Adidas era. So sure, Nike is probably culpable for arbitrary classification of their traditional colors, and arbitrary timelines for the purple(s), and the inexplicable neon yellow material. But the team and the league greased that track away from what we think of as the Lakers brand for some time now.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 10/30/2018 at 1:42 PM, Digby said:

The other thing I'd say, about Lakers HQ or whomever that's not the manufacturer, is this: 15 or so years ago the Lakers rolled out a white jersey, as their Sunday alternate, fine, whatever. But then they used white as the base jersey color for their marquee Christmas Day games, their Latinx promotion games, basically all the special ones. And the black jerseys started rolling out in the Adidas era. So sure, Nike is probably culpable for arbitrary classification of their traditional colors, and arbitrary timelines for the purple(s), and the inexplicable neon yellow material. But the team and the league greased that track away from what we think of as the Lakers brand for some time now.

Lakers always wore white on Christmas before the Christmas Uniforms became a thing so there was precedent for it. The thing about the uniforms you bring up is that they all were within the classic Lakers uniform template mostly so they looked like the Lakers. This new purple jersey does not look like the Lakers and neither does the City uniform. I would've been more open to the Statement and City uniforms if they resembled typical Lakers uniforms, hell even the Black Mamba jerseys resembled what a Lakers uniform looked like.

You could argue that if these uniforms were executed better, maybe it would've been more accepted but even then I'm not sure if I would be completely in love with it.

bSLCtu2.png

They look like a bunch of dip :censored:s, and if you read social media, no one likes that black stripe.

0 stars.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

8 minutes ago, truepg said:

What are the odds it was LeBron's wish to add the black?

Not very high. These types of things usually take 2 years. (obivously some tampering coulda been going on..)

But i would imagine this was likely in response to the black alts selling well. 

2 hours ago, truepg said:

What are the odds it was LeBron's wish to add the black?

Zero point zero percent. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 minutes ago, truepg said:

The white unis they played in last night don't look like the Lakers at all because of the purple side-panels instead of yellow, like on the previous set. What a trainwreck this uniform update has been.

The blue era of the early 60's had blue side panels on the shorts so there is sort of a historical precedent for this color distribution. I'm fine with it because it's more of a swap of the yellow jersey now than it previously was. The yellow always seemed kind weird on the white jersey.

nba_g_baylor2_400.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

Imagine what they’re gonna do the Yankees once Nike gets a hold of MLB. 

What they’ve done to the Lakers and NBA is a serious crime. All these games have become a huge visual distraction and I can’t enjoy it al all. 

XM4KeeA.png

6 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

Imagine thinking Nike has the final say on these designs and that it’s not a collaborative effort between the company’s designers and the teams. 

Imagine thinking Nike doesn't push new designs as hard if not harder than other manufacturers.

Of course it's a collaborative effort.  But that doesn't mean all manufacturers have the same approach, or that we can't hold some slightly more accountable for it.

I mean, the relatively recent switchover in the NFL is the perfect test case, isn't it? Some teams have thrown caution to the wind and come out with wild new designs in consultation with Nike; other teams wouldn't let Nike touch as much as the collar construction when they switched.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived