Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Imagine thinking Nike doesn't push new designs as hard if not harder than other manufacturers.

Of course it's a collaborative effort.  But that doesn't mean all manufacturers have the same approach, or that we can't hold some slightly more accountable for it.

True, but the result of the final product ultimately falls on the team. They can either allow Nike to do whatever they want or limit their influence to the addition of a few alternate uniforms without any bold and/or off-brand designs. Just look at the Celtics and their Statement and City uniforms as a prime example. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody’s letting the teams off the hook.  But the league’s contract with the manufacturer means that they don’t have the ability to resist entirely.  There’s plenty of blame to go around.

And I’m not sure I’d use all-black or all-gray uniforms as an example of a team resisting manufacturer-driven trends.

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

But the league’s contract with the manufacturer means that they don’t have the ability to resist entirely.  There’s plenty of blame to go around.

It would be really nice if we had access to that contract.  It would make these discussions go a lot easier, because we'd know exactly how much the teams still control about their brands.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

And I’m not sure I’d use all-black or all-gray uniforms as an example of a team resisting manufacturer-driven trends.

But how is Nike be responsible when Celtics wore gray uniforms, as well as uniforms with black accents, before the company was the NBA’s manufacture? 

I was speaking about Nike, though, since the initial comment was “what [Nike is] gonna do the Yankees once [they] get ahold of MLB” and most of the conversation (or rather complaining) in this thread and the NBA thread revolves around the idea that Nike is the sole reason why teams currently look the way they do. I used Boston as an example, too, because the team has been pretty conservative when it comes to uniform design and it was another manufacturer that ushered in the Celtics’ gray and black-accented uniforms.

I'm calling BS on the notion that teams are unwilling hostages to manufacturers. There is no reason to believe anything other than designs being team-driven and that they have the ultimate yes or no. I imagine that the extent of the manufacturer's influence is probably proposing some ideas based on what's currently popular( like grey or black) that the team can either use or scrap.

In the end both entities know exactly what they're doing. For a team like the Celtics, the city uniforms are the perfect opportunity for them to cash in on modern trends while still reserving their classic look for most games, and that's how nearly every team is using those sets. If you don't like some of the things you see being made, blame the consumers first and then the teams. If we're looking past the NBA, teams like Alabama prove who has the ultimate control in the manufacturer-team dynamic. 

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Good.

Because nobody is saying that.

"Imagine thinking Nike doesn't push new designs as hard if not harder than other manufacturers."

"But that doesn't mean all manufacturers have the same approach, or that we can't hold some slightly more accountable for it."

"But the league’s contract with the manufacturer means that they don’t have the ability to resist entirely."

"You offered the Celtics as an example of “limiting the influence” of manufacturers, which kind of falls apart when you consider those two uniforms." 

You pretty much say it, if not at least strongly imply it a few times. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make if that isn't what you mean. If Russell were the official supplier of the NBA, the Celtics would still have made black and grey sets. 

To be clear, I'm not saying that Nike or any other manufacturer is devoid of blame for a bad design, but I don't like the notion of Nike bullying teams into wearing designs that has seemingly grown popular around here lately. Teams are driving the creative directions of these sets a vast majority of the time based on what's trendy or popular. We don't have to always like it, but it's true. 

spacer.png

26 minutes ago, henburg said:

You pretty much say it, if not at least strongly imply it a few times. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make if that isn't what you mean. If Russell were the official supplier of the NBA, the Celtics would still have made black and grey sets. 

If Russell thought they could sell more jersey and shirts by outfitting the Celtics in black, then yes.  That’s what I’m saying.

The manufacturers push to make changes that will help at retail, and therefore justify the large contracts they sign with leagues.  That’s really not in question.  It’s not a Nike thing, except that Nike is very good at it.  And in Nike’s case, we do know that they originate some of these changes.  They approach clubs under contract, not the other way around.

I have repeatedly insisted that we also have to hold teams responsible for going along with it. Manufacturers aren’t forcing them, they are persuading them.  There’s plenty of blame to go around, including to teams like the Celtics for chasing the fads of BFBS and GFGS.

I would love to know who originally suggested the notion of “statement”, “city”, and “earned” uniforms.  Just as I would love to know whether the sleeve idea originated in the NBA’s office or Reebok’s. 

Man the Whites are side panels away from a real clean set. The Purples are horrible. Black panels aside, the white outline/shadowing on the yellow number and wordmark makes them hard to read. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I would love to know who originally suggested the notion of “statement”, “city”, and “earned” uniforms.  Just as I would love to know whether the sleeve idea originated in the NBA’s office or adidas (FTFY) 

I feel confident in saying the idea originated with the manufacturer in both situations, but it’s not as if the manufacturer subsequently created uniforms without approval from the team or significant design input from the team. 

Not to unnecessarily merge threads/sports, but rather to use as example, I know a lot about Ohio State’s alternate uniforms and the design process behind each one. From the very beginning (2009), Nike suggested an alternate uniform and Ohio State contractually agreed to wear them for a certain number of years. It’s since just become a standard part of the contract for recruiting purposes, but the first few iterations (as well as the black set worn in 2015 and last weekend) involved a collaborative effort where both sides suggested different things, but it ultimately had to be approved by Ohio State — and a board that includes Archie Griffin and other high-ranking people in the athletic department. And now, Ohio State is simply contractually obligated to wear at least one alternate per year and tells Nike exactly want it wants to do.

I understand things don’t always work the same across leagues and/or sports, but I feel confident in saying there’s no way Nike is forcing designs on a team unless the higher-ups simply don’t care or have said they would take whatever was presented. 

9 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

I understand things don’t always work the same across leagues and/or sports, but I feel confident in saying there’s no way Nike is forcing designs on a team unless the higher-ups simply don’t care or have said they would take whatever was presented. 

True, but I really don’t see anybody saying that.  The manufacturers are pushing designs they think they can sell, and sometimes the teams agree.  Now, the manufacturers do sign agreements with the leagues that obligate teams to wear the fashion designs x times a year. But leagues are just collections of owners, so again that deal goes back to the teams as well.

And yeah, there probably are teams that just blindly take whatever’s offered to them by the manufacturers.  But for every one of those I would wager there are ten who are actively involved in the design process, even if it wasn’t their idea to begin with. 

And thanks for the adidas/Reebok catch. ;) 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

If Russell thought they could sell more jersey and shirts by outfitting the Celtics in black, then yes.  That’s what I’m saying.

The manufacturers push to make changes that will help at retail, and therefore justify the large contracts they sign with leagues.  That’s really not in question.  It’s not a Nike thing, except that Nike is very good at it.  And in Nike’s case, we do know that they originate some of these changes.  They approach clubs under contract, not the other way around.

I would love to know who originally suggested the notion of “statement”, “city”, and “earned” uniforms.

Adidas had stupid names for the alternates too like Stretch, Flex and pride(sleeves were mandatory on the pride sets). So I assume the nba is the main one pushing this.

Just now, JELKK said:

Adidas had stupid names for the alternates too like Stretch, Flex and pride(sleeves were mandatory on the pride sets). So I assume the nba is the main one pushing this.

Could be, but I wouldn’t necessarily make that assumption.  Every manufacturer has their own long list buzzwords for their own technology, and clever names for their templates. 

The Lakers are wearing their :censored:ty purple set at home again tonight, this time with black accessories (purple socks and tights still, though):

Drc70rzV4AAMrlW?format=jpg

Drc4ecZV4AIXIum?format=jpg

Drc6ft_VsAUfhhw?format=jpg

Also, in case it’s not clear from that last picture, LeBron is wearing a headband tonight:

DrcyRaUU8AA4Ipg?format=jpg

Kind of weird to see him in a headband again after not wearing one for the past few years.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 11/6/2018 at 4:23 PM, Pengin. said:

Man the Whites are side panels away from a real clean set. The Purples are horrible. Black panels aside, the white outline/shadowing on the yellow number and wordmark makes them hard to read. 

I wish the white jersey had gold numbers instead, I feel like that jersey has too much purple; or use gold wordmark. But that jersey looks dope af. 

This purple one is really bad but since we’re stuck with it, I wish they’d wear black accessories (including leg sleeves). Ditch these next year and match the templates. 

Since the conversation is also on the plenty of blame to go around, which I do agree with Goth, who would you point at for the gold now being banana yellow? I feel like that would be more on the organization right? 

1 hour ago, d11king said:

I wish the white jersey had gold numbers instead, I feel like that jersey has too much purple; or use gold wordmark. But that jersey looks dope af. 

This purple one is really bad but since we’re stuck with it, I wish they’d wear black accessories (including leg sleeves). Ditch these next year and match the templates. 

Since the conversation is also on the plenty of blame to go around, which I do agree with Goth, who would you point at for the gold now being banana yellow? I feel like that would be more on the organization right? 

There are so many things wrong with this Lakers uni set probably the worst set the Lakers have ever had IMO. Ultimately this all falls on the Lakers since they were the ones that approved them even if Nike were pushing them to change because of low jersey sales or whatever. As far as the banana yellow goes this was an issue last year as well so perhaps the Lakers only caught the color issue too late, however they had over a year to ask Nike to fix the color for this year and didn't. Once again THEIR fault!! It's funny when you see a Laker gold shirt next to a Laker banana yellow shirt. Did they not think we would notice?? SMH

6 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

In a vacuum, that Lakers set is really good - even the purple. However, this isn’t a vacuum, this is the Lakers. They’re one of the few teams that anyone could name. They need to look like the Lakers when they wear purple.

They don’t even look like the Lakers wearing yellow. 

Archived