Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

47 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I can’t agree there. The current uniform wordmark is really just an updated version of the older one, with some fixes like an L that’s the same angle as the other letters, more even spacing, and cleaner forms, but it’s still very clunky if you look at it with a critical eye. It needs a lot of refinement that is already done in the logo wordmark, like the weight of the E and fixes to some head scratching design decisions, like chopping off the top serif on the crossbar of the E.

lonzo_ball_starting_point_guard.jpg

Nah man, not seeing it. The only part that I could find fault with after looking at it thoroughly was the width of the stem of the E, which is narrower than the stem of the K and R. Doesn't really pop either, though. Other than that, a rock-solid execution. The R-S connection is solved just perfectly and in a beautiful way. The L connects to the A just right too. The chopped off top of the crossbar of the E works really well there visually with those letterforms (to the extent that I hadn't noticed it right up until now), and is an interesting touch, actually.

I'd argue this jersey wordmark comes close (if already isn't) in terms of being as iconic as the wordmark in the logo, since it has had all this exposure being on the front of the jersey all these years.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Teal said:

Shocked to be honest. I thought the Lakers and Nike would make everyone buy a LeBron jersey in the current set and then switch it up in 2019/20.

They didn’t just decide to change them now, this has been in the works for at least a year. When are people going to realize you can’t just change a pro sports uniform on a whim.

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

I think that confirms it's legit. Otherwise, they woulda said it's fake.

Nah man, I just removed the links so a man wouldn't lose his job over this, I'm 100% sure they're real though since the photos seem to come from a retailer catlog

Anyways, I'm betting that the logo retweak will involve the removal of the motion/water lines and will look more like the South Bay Lakers logo in terms of modernization

1 hour ago, truepg said:

Nah man, not seeing it. The only part that I could find fault with after looking at it thoroughly was the width of the stem of the E, which is narrower than the stem of the K and R. Doesn't really pop either, though. Other than that, a rock-solid execution. The R-S connection is solved just perfectly and in a beautiful way. The L connects to the A just right too. The chopped off top of the crossbar of the E works really well there visually with those letterforms (to the extent that I hadn't noticed it right up until now), and is an interesting touch, actually.

I'd argue this jersey wordmark comes close (if already isn't) in terms of being as iconic as the wordmark in the logo, since it has had all this exposure being on the front of the jersey all these years.

It’s only been on the uniform in its current form since the 2000 redesign, but it definitely has caché in the retail era because so much product has been pumped into the market.

Preferences aside, what it comes down to for me is that they don’t need to be different; it’s not outwardly strategic and it doesn’t solve a problem. If you have an iconic wordmark, leverage it and ride it as the singular typographic star of the brand by using it in the logo and uniform (whichever one you choose). For a brand that seems willing to update its look with the times, keeping the old logo comes across like trying to live in two different eras.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

34 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Preferences aside, what it comes down to for me is that they don’t need to be different; it’s not outwardly strategic and it doesn’t solve a problem. If you have an iconic wordmark, leverage it and ride it as the singular typographic star of the brand by using it in the logo and uniform (whichever one you choose). For a brand that seems willing to update its look with the times, keeping the old logo comes across like trying to live in two different eras.

Yea, I agree with you on that - it is not reasonable to have two different wordmarks, for sure. I'd just go with the one on the jerseys, myself.

It’s only been on the uniform in its current form since the 2000 redesign, but it definitely has caché in the retail era because so much product has been pumped into the market.

The past 18 years have been very iconic for the franchise, though.

1 hour ago, colortv said:

Does anyone else prefer white lettering with purple dropshadow(what I posted on page 3) to the purple lettering with white dropshadow?

I was getting ready to post about this...

I pray so hard the jerseys feature the original coloring and looks...

Yellow jerseys - Purple wordmark/purple numbers white shadow

Purple jersey - yellow wordmark/white numbers, yellow numbers white shadow 

(the purple jersey looks really weird with yellow numbers, even their current uniforms don’t have that)

white jersey - Purple wordmark/purple numbers. yellow shadow???

The Lakers' imperfections give them humanity. If you hate the Lakers now, you'd really hate them with flawless BRANDING. It's like how it was nice that the old Yankee Stadium was sort of a dump.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Lakers' imperfections give them humanity. If you hate the Lakers now, you'd really hate them with flawless BRANDING. It's like how it was nice that the old Yankee Stadium was sort of a dump.

Yankee Stadium 1.5. I’ve long reasoned that it lost its soul during the 1970s renovation, becoming just another cookie-cutter. 

I wouldn’t say the Lakers’ imperfections gave them humanity so much as having “happy” colors. Bright purple and yellow elicit a pleasant reaction compared to navy/red/silver or anything with black. Also, the Lakers have the right proportions of purple/yellow to illicit the “happy” feeling, unlike the Vikings. 

48 minutes ago, d11king said:

I was getting ready to post about this...

I pray so hard the jerseys feature the original coloring and looks...

Yellow jerseys - Purple wordmark/purple numbers white shadow

Purple jersey - yellow wordmark/white numbers, yellow numbers white shadow 

(the purple jersey looks really weird with yellow numbers, even their current uniforms don’t have that)

white jersey - Purple wordmark/purple numbers. yellow shadow???

I've had a white jersey made with yellow wordmark and yellow numbers.

5 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Rather than update the non-matching jersey wordmark yet again, I think it’s the right move to use the classic lakers script from the logo (minus the splash/motion lines), provided it’s crisp and elegant like the original shown above.

Let's not forget that current Lakers wordmark comes from proposed logo back in 1999:

LA3.jpg

4r2eer.png

Like this but without the words "Los Angeles" and everything in white outlines.  (Interesting that the URL reads NFLSHOP.)

http://store.nba.com/Los_Angeles_Lakers_T-Shirts/Mens_Los_Angeles_Lakers_Design-Your-Own_Long_Sleeve_T-Shirt-

http://nflshop.frgimages.com/lf?set=key[name],value[YOUR NAME]&set=key[number],value[00]&set=center_back_chain[purple_name_number]&set=center_chest_chain[FG-149266]&set=right_sleeve_chain[FG-149261]&set=left_sleeve_chain[]&set=front_base_chain[RUP-MNGBLSTEE~GOLD~FRONT]&set=back_base_chain[RUP-MNGBLSTEE~GOLD~BACK]&call=url[http://dmimages.ff.p10/B/combined_front_back.txt]&scale=size[1500]&sink=format[png]

1 hour ago, sayahh said:

Like this but without the words "Los Angeles" and everything in white outlines.  (Interesting that the URL reads NFLSHOP.)

http://store.nba.com/Los_Angeles_Lakers_T-Shirts/Mens_Los_Angeles_Lakers_Design-Your-Own_Long_Sleeve_T-Shirt-

http://nflshop.frgimages.com/lf?set=key[name],value[YOUR NAME]&set=key[number],value[00]&set=center_back_chain[purple_name_number]&set=center_chest_chain[FG-149266]&set=right_sleeve_chain[FG-149261]&set=left_sleeve_chain[]&set=front_base_chain[RUP-MNGBLSTEE~GOLD~FRONT]&set=back_base_chain[RUP-MNGBLSTEE~GOLD~BACK]&call=url[http://dmimages.ff.p10/B/combined_front_back.txt]&scale=size[1500]&sink=format[png]

NFL Shop and NBA Shop are under the Fanatics umbrella.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

They didn’t just decide to change them now, this has been in the works for at least a year. When are people going to realize you can’t just change a pro sports uniform on a whim.

Still doesn't affect what I just said. Lakers and Nike would have sold James jerseys in the current set like crazy and then the following year more unis sold.

Jaguars

I wonder if we'll see an updated court design? The court they had under the Shaq/Kobe teams was far superior to what they have now.

I want them to go back to an all yellow court but the Warriors are doing it. I mean it can be done but I don't know.

bSLCtu2.png

I wonder if we'll see an updated court design? The court they had under the Shaq/Kobe teams was far superior to what they have now.

I prefer the court we have now... that court was pretty cool with the like 3d coloring of the ball, but definitely like the court we have now. Far superior. They recently just changed it I believe after the back to back title in ‘10. The 16 stars to represent the titles is dope as well. 

49 minutes ago, d11king said:

I prefer the court we have now... that court was pretty cool with the like 3d coloring of the ball, but definitely like the court we have now. Far superior. They recently just changed it I believe after the back to back title in ‘10. The 16 stars to represent the titles is dope as well. 

I don't think any of 'em were as good as the design of the floor at the Forum. I get that the league wants logos at midcourt so the old Forum design wouldn't work, but a golden key with purple lines would be a lot better than a purple key with random white lines. 

Archived