neo_prankster

Driveball Redux (1957 Results)

That makes 2 for San Diego.

LOVE the Flamingos' logo...this is gonna be a CLASSIC identity (I wish merch for them existed IRL)

And count me as a third vote for San Diego.

The Flamingos' logo looks fantastic. Classic and simple, easily recognizable as a team from Florida.

Also San Diego would get my vote too.

1956 Driveball Preview Part 2

San Diego city officials will meet with NDA owners in NYC to make their pitch for an expansion franchise.

- The San Diego Evening Tribune

NDA owners confirm that this year's Frosty Mug, the ninth, will be the first to be televised in color by NBC.

- The New York Times

Season ticket drive begins for new expansion Driveball franchise slated for '58 debut. Flamingos pennants already selling like hotcakes at all Burdine's locations.

- The Miami Herald

Another Flamingos tweak, which should combine the earlier designs:

saNXTOV.png

C&C Welcome

Looks good! I personally prefer the more vertical oval but both look good and time appropriate

1956 Driveball Seasons

NDA

East

Buffalo Lakers 9-5
Toronto Titans 7-7

Philadelphia Brawlers 6-8
New York Heroes 3-11

West

Chicago Gaels 12-2
Cleveland Mad Hatters 10-4

Milwaukee Voyagers 5-9
Cincinnati Monarchs 4-10

CDA

Colonial

Washington Commanders 11-1
Minnesota Shockers 8-4
New Jersey Rogues 6-6

Detroit Roadsters 6-6
Pittsburgh Knights 3-9
Boston Unicorns 2-10

Frontier

Dallas Metros 10-2
Kansas City Rustlers 9-3
Houston Marshals 8-4

Denver Mountaineers 3-9
Los Angeles Jaguars 3-9
San Francisco Dragons 3-9

Playoff teams in BOLD

After an embarrassing, humiliating loss to the Boston Unicorns in last year's preseason contest, the Chicago Gaels go from worst to first in the Western Division. Of course, with the MLB Cubs playing their home games exclusively during the daytime in this period, the Gaels' home schedule at Soldier Field is played mostly at night. As a result, Gaels home games have already become a weekend primetime staple on WGN-TV.

Meanwhile in the East, the reverse has happened in the Big Apple. With the Heroes finally surpassing the MLB Giants as the main attraction at the Polo Grounds, attendance was still fairly decent despite the Heroes winning just three games. This September, the NFL Giants will vacate the Polo Grounds and move across the river to the more elegant Yankee Stadium. But within the next couple of years, the Heroes could have the Polo Grounds all to themselves as rumors point to Horace Stoneham planning to move the baseball Giants to Minnesota, home to the club's AAA squad, the Minneapolis Millers.

Despite reaching their second playoff appearance in a row, the Toronto Titans haven't been so lucky at the gate. With the NHL Maple Leafs owning the city's hearts, Titans owners are faced with a double whammy. The Titans' lease for CNE Stadium expires after the 1957 NDA season. Since the Montreal Voyageurs moved to Milwaukee in 1952, Titans ticket sales have trended downward, leaving the team on track to be buried in $890,000 CAD in debt.

This year, the Minnesota Shockers move in with the AAA Minneapolis Millers to the state of the art Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington:

DcJwbpOVwAAYBBD.jpg

As you can see, the Met as it'll come to be known, can be expanded to attract MLB and NFL teams to the region.

NDA Playoffs

East Final at War Memorial Stadium

The East Final was to be the Titans' chance to save not only their season, but their franchise. In the end, their southern rivals were hungrier for a title. Buffalo's potent attack banished the Titans to the history books, possibly for good, with a punishing 36 to 9 victory.

Buffalo 36 - Toronto 9

West Final at Soldier Field

In the Windy City, age has finally caught up to the Mad Hatters, the team that came to define the sport for the last nine seasons. The Gaels' second year forward Marty Ravenscroft slammed the door in Cleveland's face with the winning six point goal.

Chicago 42 - Cleveland 36

Ninth Frosty Mug at Soldier Field

The Gaels would go on to win their first Frosty Mug in seven years. Marty Ravenscroft and second year center Butch Dorfman accounted for much of Chicago's scoring, leading both to share Frosty Mug MVP honors. 45 to 39 was the final score in the Gaels' favor. Apart from the action on the field, this year's Frosty Mug carries greater significance off the field. It was the very first Driveball telecast to be presented in color, preceded by this bumper:

4661751159_a26875b0ef.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1NRaHAGchQ

CDA Playoffs

Colonial Wild Card at Metropolitan Stadium

Minnesota Shockers 33

New Jersey Rogues 27

New Jersey was the feel good story of the regular season, but it was Minnesota that wrote the final chapter that day.

Frontier Wild Card at KC Municipal Stadium

Houston Marshals 18

Kansas City Rustlers 12

Unlike the wild card game in Minnesota, Houston slowed their game against Kansas City to a snail crawl. A six point goal by forward Chuck Lounsbery with under two minutes to play helped the Marshals escape KC with the win.

Colonial Final at Griffith Stadium

Minnesota 24

Washington 15

Once again, the Commanders collapse when it matters most.

Frontier Final at the Cotton Bowl

Dallas Metros 21

Houston Marshals 18

With his team down by three and just seconds to play, Leslie Brown was the hero for Dallas, punching in the winning six point goal past Houston goalie Ward Belcher.

Third Floyd Cup at the Cotton Bowl

Minnesota Shockers 33

Dallas Metros 27

Minnesota shocks the Dallas crowd by putting the kibosh on the Metros' bid for a three-peat. The hero throughout Minnesota's magical playoff run was rookie forward Harvey Goldberg, a former Golden Gopher quarterback who was unable to find a spot on an NFL roster last fall.

Are the Toronto Titans getting a relocation committee? I vote for Memp..err...Nashville. *unoriginal joke is unoriginal* 

13 minutes ago, TargetToad said:

Are the Toronto Titans getting a relocation committee? I vote for Memp..err...Nashville. *unoriginal joke is unoriginal* 

The relocation committee is in fact open right now. The Titans will likely move west, which should help the new San Diego expansion franchise with their travel expenses.

Here are the eligible cities:

Oakland, California

- Available stadium: Oaks Park

Portland, Oregon

- Available stadium: Multnomah Stadium

Seattle Washington

- Available stadiums: Sick's Stadium, Husky Stadium, Seattle Memorial Stadium

St Louis, Missouri

- Available stadium: Sportsman's Park (aka Busch Stadium I)

Baltimore, Maryland

- Available stadium: Memorial Stadium

Sacramento, California

- Available stadium: Hughes Stadium

Salt Lake City, Utah

- Available stadium: Rice Stadium

I'll go with Sacramento just because I liked the Condors design from the last Driveball thread.

Way to go Shockers! Nice to see my team succeed!

As for expansion I would say either Portland or Oakland

My vote goes to Seattle

Glad to see that the Gaels are building up a good reputation.

Can I have a updated Gaels sig?

My vote is for STL.

So, would the team keep the Titans name or would they rebrand?

What happens with the game of driveball in Canada? Will major league driveball return to Canada after the Titans relocate? As in will Toronto and Montreal get teams again in the future, and possibly Vancouver?

4 hours ago, Goran The Man said:

What happens with the game of driveball in Canada? Will major league driveball return to Canada after the Titans relocate? As in will Toronto and Montreal get teams again in the future, and possibly Vancouver?

Canada will likely have its own league, but it'll likely be 1970 at the earliest. Toronto and Montreal will likely have different names and logos once they regain franchises.

The San Diego Admirals, slated to enter the NDA with the Miami Flamingos in 1958, have unveiled their new logo...

id86Z0Q.png

The Admirals will play their home games at Balboa Stadium.

C&C Welcome.