neo_prankster

Driveball Redux (1958 Offseason)

For 1959, the Houston Marshals apply their badge logo to the sides of their helmets:

jgYC3HE.png

C&C Welcome.

I've seen almost every Driveball team switch over to plastic helmets.... except for the New York Heroes.

16 minutes ago, JH42XCC said:

I've seen almost every Driveball team switch over to plastic helmets.... except for the New York Heroes.

That reminds me...

As the switchover from leather to plastic helmets continues, the Boston Unicorns, New York Heroes and Denver Mountaineers make the switch for '59

vwIkbeg.png

Usi0SzZ.png

VD829Pn.png

C&C Welcome.

Oh yeah, BTW, Lamar Hunt is still going to put the AFL together for 1960.

1958-59 Offseason

1959 will be the New York Heroes' final season at the Polo Grounds. At the conclusion of the '59 season, the Heroes will share a new domed stadium in Brooklyn with the MLB Dodgers. The Flushing Meadows site, offered by parks commissioner Robert Moses, is still available to New York City's other sports teams looking to build new facilities.

The NDA will open committees for the following:

- Possible rule changes and modifications to field markings (aka the Rules Committee)

- A possible offseason tour of Ireland and the UK for 1962 (aka the International Committee)

- A possible farm system (aka the Developmental Committee)

For those interesting in joining these committees, all you need is:

Name

Age (Must be 18 or older)

Favorite NDA or CDA team (optional)

In three sentences or more, state a case for or against the above proposals.

Committees open on 12/3/18 at 3 PM Eastern/Noon Pacific

Committees close on 12/10/18 at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific

In other sports...

If you've got a few hundred thousand dollars lying around, there are plenty of professional franchises up for sale. In the NFL, the Chicago Cardinals have been bleeding money for the better part of a decade now, and with folks moving out to the suburbs, it's only a matter of time before this team will have to pull up stakes. In basketball, the Lakers have slumped since the retirement of longtime center George Mikan. A move may be imminent, but there's still a chance to keep the team in Minneapolis. Other NBA teams that could be on the move are the Syracuse Nationals and Philadelphia Warriors. Lamar Hunt, son of Texas oilman HL Hunt, is the front runner to purchase the Chicago Cardinals. Other rumored buyers include Bob Howsam of Denver, Max Winter of Minneapolis, and KS "Bud" Adams of Houston.

Last MLB season, in a controversial move, Horace Stoneham changed the name of his former New York Giants to the Minnesota Twins upon his arrival in the Twin Cities. Stoneham told the Minneapolis Tribune and St Paul Pioneer Press that fans simply wanted something new. Others speculate it was because that, in time, the Giants/Dodgers rivalry would wither away because of the new geographic divide. Eventually, the newly rebranded Twins will develop new rivalries with the Braves, Cardinals and Cubs.

1959 will be the farewell season for Ebbets Field, as the Brooklyn Dodgers will move into an innovative domed stadium for 1960.

At the Movies...

Sleeping Beauty (Walt Disney)

South Pacific (20th Century Fox)
Gigi (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer)

The Blob (Paramount)

No Time For Sergeants (Warner Bros)

The Vikings (United Artists)

The Fly (20th Century Fox)

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer)

Auntie Mame (Warner Bros)

On December 16, 1958, the studio backlot of Universal Pictures was sold to the Music Corporation of America (MCA) for $16 million USD.

1959 Preview

Both the National and Continental leagues face expiring TV contracts at the end of the '59 season. The 10th and 11th Frosty Mugs have proven to be the most expensive Driveball telecasts that NBC has ever produced, with both being the first championship sporting events to be televised in color. Should the NDA reach an extension with NBC, the Frosty Mug will still be the lone color telecast while the regular season is still videotaped in black and white. NBC's highest ratings for an NDA game came when the Miami Flamingos shocked the Driveball world and won the Frosty Mug in only their very first year of existence.

In the Continental circuit, ABC's CDA coverage has solely been in black and white. The current deal was negotiated by Jaguars founder Spencer Holbrook, who also had a hand in helping former boss Walt Disney land his TV deal with the same channel. Roone Arledge of ABC indicates the network has enjoyed a healthy relationship with the CDA. Arledge points to strong ratings for CDA games starting at 4pm EDT to support his optimism for an extension that could run through 1964,

Of course, in the days before fans could tape games off their TV sets, the '57, and '58 Mugs, both of which were originally broadcast in color, exist today only in black and white kinescopes which fans have since uploaded to their YouTube channels. Luckily, a local Miami documentarian on the Flamingos' payroll was able to capture the triumph of The Fabulous Flamingos of '58 in Kodachrome Color film. That film is easily accessible on the Flamingos' Facebook page as of 2018.

This year will a lame duck year for the Heroes at the Polo Grounds. Next year, the team will move into the new domed stadium in Brooklyn, where they will be secondary tenants to the Dodgers.

3060973-SZHPTRJH-6.jpg

oder33.jpg

This year, the Monarchs will celebrate their tenth anniversary in Cincinnati. The Monarchs of course came to be in 1949 when the Albany Trappers folded after just one season.

Name: Patrick Porter

Age (Must be 18 or older): 20

Favorite NDA or CDA team (optional): NDA: Milwaukee Voyagers, CDA: Pittsburgh Knights

• I think that the rules committee should look at changes aimed at reducing the number of shutouts in the league, and am open to whatever suggestions my fellow Committee members have to that regard
  • I am STRONGLY in favor of British and Irish tours, given the massive success of the Miami experiment (I see you with your Frosty Mug, Flamingos) and the overall desire to grow the game.
  • Likewise, I am STRONGLY in favor of forming a Driveball farm system...not only does it develop the game, but it also introduces it to markets who may not be on the game's map, but they grow into strong markets which could possibly get an NDA or a CDA team someday.  I would begin with a AAA class, then two years later add a AA class, and so on...

Name: George Brown

Age (Must be 18 or older): 40

Favorite NDA or CDA team (optional): NDA: New York Heroes

• I feel like the current rules are fine, as is.
  • I am in favor to see Driveball in the UK and Ireland. As my fellow committee members have said, the success of the Flamingos helps.
  • I am also in favor of the introduction of a Driveball farm system, it would help introduce Driveball into new markets, and could possibly lead to new and weird team designs in the future.

Name: Patrick Dempster

Favorite NDA or CDA team: Los Angeles Jaguars.

• Current Rules are fine.
  • Would love to see a Canadian tour, as well as UK and Ireland tours.
  • A driveball farm system could bring teams to small markets like Baltimore and Portland, and open up gateways for major league teams in those cities.

5 hours ago, Ipapterotes said:

Name: George Brown

Age (Must be 18 or older): 40

Favorite NDA or CDA team (optional): NDA: New York Heroes

• I feel like the current rules are fine, as is.
  • I am in favor to see Driveball in the UK and Ireland. As my fellow committee members have said, the success of the Flamingos helps.
  • I am also in favor of the introduction of a Driveball farm system, it would help introduce Driveball into new markets, and could possibly lead to new and weird team designs in the future.

Not participating in this rule change, but I like the idea of a farm league. It could introduce the driveball to B-tier markets like Albuquerque, Louisville, and Omaha.

Name: Bruce O'Shea

In favor of no rule changes--currently there is a good mix of defensive and offensive games and it should stay that way.

Tepid on a tour of UK and Ireland--it would be expensive, there's no proven appetite for driveball outside the US, and it's hard to imagine it leading to teams there for decades, if ever.
Strongly opposed to developmental leagues--the college level of the sport should be allowed to develop and become the main source of talent.

Name: Kent Clarkson

Favorite Driveball team: Boston Unicorns

Rules: I would favor rules that increase the offense in the game. Get the interest of the fans due to increased excitement.

Tour: Against at the current moment. Maybe in a decade but driveball is a niche sport in the US much less any other country

Minor League System: For it. Could be a good way to find future pro markets.

Name: Frank Templeton

Favorite Team: Miami Flamingos

Rules: No immediate changes

Tour: Against as of now, may support in the future
Minor League: Against as well, prefer collegiate system

For those who prefer a collegiate system, which universities would you like to see first?

Also, would the 70's or 80's be a better time for a European tour?

3 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

For those who prefer a collegiate system, which universities would you like to see first?

Also, would the 70's or 80's be a better time for a European tour?

Put Driveball in the religious colleges first, like a reverse big east

Oh Yeah, and I approve of NCAA Driveball.

39 minutes ago, ItsSlothy said:

Oh Yeah, and I approve of NCAA Driveball.

What year would be a good year for the first wave of colleges to launch Driveball programs?

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

What year would be a good year for the first wave of colleges to launch Driveball programs?

Probably 1950 or something like that.

For NCAA Driveball, I think 1960 sounds like a perfect opening year.

Also, I have a plan to "phase it in," based on conference prestige at the time as well as 

AAWU (California, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington)

Big 8 (Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State)

Big Ten (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin)

SEC (Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Tulane, Vanderbilt)

Southwest (Arkansas, Baylor, Rice, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech)

Eastern Driveball Conference (EDC-fictional, comprised of '60 independents with NDA or CDA teams in their cities) (Boston College, Boston University, Detroit, Houston, Marquette, Miami, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Villanova, Xavier)

The 1960 conferences, plus

ACC (Clemson, Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, NC State, South Carolina, Virginia, Wake Forest)

Skyline (BYU, Colorado State, Montana, New Mexico, Utah, Utah State, Wyoming)

After that we can see how it goes from there.

1 hour ago, MBurmy said:

For NCAA Driveball, I think 1960 sounds like a perfect opening year.

Also, I have a plan to "phase it in," based on conference prestige at the time as well as 

AAWU (California, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington)

Big 8 (Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State)

Big Ten (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin)

SEC (Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Tulane, Vanderbilt)

Southwest (Arkansas, Baylor, Rice, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech)

Eastern Driveball Conference (EDC-fictional, comprised of '60 independents with NDA or CDA teams in their cities) (Boston College, Boston University, Detroit, Houston, Marquette, Miami, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Villanova, Xavier)

The 1960 conferences, plus

ACC (Clemson, Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, NC State, South Carolina, Virginia, Wake Forest)

Skyline (BYU, Colorado State, Montana, New Mexico, Utah, Utah State, Wyoming)

After that we can see how it goes from there.

Awesome. Would this be considered a winter or spring sport on the collegiate level?