Seemed Like A Good Idea On Paper

AstroCree

Ever thought of a uniform style and think "yeah, this would look great" then see it in person and go "oof, maybe this wasn't a good idea..."

2 always come to mind when I think of this:

The white hats the Mets and Reds briefly wore in the 90s seemed like a good idea on paper. I feel they still work as fashion hats but on a professional uniform? Not so much.

kashiwada2.jpgjeff-shaw-jack-mckeon.jpg?w=360&h=383

Another that comes to mind are the Seahawks Neon Green uniforms. I still feel this should've worked but combining them with dark pants and not white lead to a very poor result. 

Image result for seahawks neon green

XM4KeeA.png

I'm actually fine with white caps and colored brims. Especially if a team wears them from the start, what's the issue? In these instances, it only really looks odd because it was more of a short-term thing than anything else.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but Cooperalls.  I was a kid playing pee-wee hockey when the Cooperall trend hit and man, I thought they were cool.  Seemed like all the best kids in my league wore them, and then they even started showing up in the NHL.  But, unfortunately, like the Titanic, they looked great until they hit the ice.

hop2OtL.jpg

The first thing I thought of is Washington's (NFL) yellow pants.  I like the maroon and gold/yellow scheme. and the idea of yellow pants sounded awesome.  But I really don't like it.  I prefer white pants with the maroon tops and vice versa.

The other one is that we lament to mismatched blues and silvers in the Cowboys uniform but every concept that fixes that looks kinda boring.  I think I am content with where the Cowboys are at.  I don't think syncing the blues and slivers would work as well as most people think.

These are probably both unpopular opinions.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, msu said:

The Tigers standardizing logos seems like a good idea on paper, but I think the hat D is somewhat thin and doesn't fit with the jersey piping as nicely as the prior look did.

That's a good one.  The question is, will we eventually get used to it.  The new hat is really jarring to me and the jersey is somewhat as well.  But maybe I'll become desensitized.  Right now, though, I am with you. Something that makes total sense isn't working out as well as assumed.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, msu said:

The Tigers standardizing logos seems like a good idea on paper, but I think the hat D is somewhat thin and doesn't fit with the jersey piping as nicely as the prior look did.

I think this one is the clubhouse leader. I think the hat D is vastly superior. I should like this. I'm not sure I do.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

To me, the ultimate "looked good on paper" idea is a football uniform that tries to get the pants stripe to connect to the jersey side panels.  I can't think of one time that actually worked. The original Bronco side panel uniform comes close, but still falls apart in practice.  

It never seemed like a good idea on paper. The mismatching D's on the Tigers uniform was a quirk perfect for a team of their heritage. Same for the smallish size of the D on the caps.  Both tell the story without words that you're looking at an old ass baseball uniform built through tradition. You'd never have mistmatching D's if the team started today, which is why is worked for them. Also they've been mismatching forever so it sh*** on tradition to match them. Standardizing them, as well as increasing the size of the D on the hat, destroyed all of the character that uniform had and now it's just a navy blue and white baseball uniform. Snooze. 

Also the chest D worked better on the chest than the hat D. The hat D works better on the hat than the chest D. If they were going to pick one to use full time I think they chose the right one, but I waffle on that too. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Unpopular opinion incoming!

“Let’s get crazy with bringing black to the North Stars, to keep yellow and white from touching. That can’t go wrong at all!”

26816.jpg

Super-thin black trim on the crest and numbers (which already had drop shadows), black breezers with the three stars, and the addition of black to the white yoke just made for a complete mess of a look (the white sweaters looked even worse, somehow).

If the North Stars had to change up their look, swapping Kelly for Forest Green would have been the way to go. SUBTLE black trim might have also worked. That means no black breezers, no thick black stripes, and a solid white yoke on the green sweater.

14 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Unpopular opinion incoming!

“Let’s get crazy with bringing black to the North Stars, to keep yellow and white from touching. That can’t go wrong at all!”

26816.jpg

Super-thin black trim on the crest and numbers (which already had drop shadows), black breezers with the three stars, and the addition of black to the white yoke just made for a complete mess of a look (the white sweaters looked even worse, somehow).

If the North Stars had to change up their look, swapping Kelly for Forest Green would have been the way to go. SUBTLE black trim might have also worked. That means no black breezers, no thick black stripes, and a solid white yoke on the green sweater.

This may also be an unpopular opinion and admittedly I'm not as knowledgeable about hockey unis as about the rest of the Big 4, but this set could probably do with a different pant color than black as well.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that North Stars set for its era (the Penguins' yellow/white uniform in that picture is more objectionable to me) but I would have liked to see them be the ones to shepherd in the neo-retro era with forest green, vintage white, and even leather-brown gloves and breezers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

56 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with that North Stars set for its era (the Penguins' yellow/white uniform in that picture is more objectionable to me) but I would have liked to see them be the ones to shepherd in the neo-retro era with forest green, vintage white, and even leather-brown gloves and breezers.

In which case, we’d get “bring back the Kelly” or some attempt to restore yellow or yellow-gold to the look. At the very least, the 1967 green sweater would be a third.

I just don’t see the N-star looking all that good in vintage white, and I can’t imagine the team deviating all that much from such an iconic logo (even though they did, because poor merchandise sales and the ‘90s). I could see them removing the drop shadow, however. 

That version of the classic Penguins design is less objectionable than the Nortn Stars’ uniform, if only because there isn’t a single element on it as ugly as the black breezers with stars. Solid Kelly or black breezers would have made the design less crappy

Definitely the recent updates on the Grizzlies new uniforms had great ideas but mucked up the execution. Its an overall fun improvement to what they had but they still have some issues that’s common with Nike’s recent designs

Archived