DoctaC

The History of MultiBall (Fictional League) - 1976 Pre-Season Power Rankings

The History of MultiBall

Hello Everyone! DoctaC here!

Today I will be starting a brand new thread here on the forum; the History of MultiBall, a fictional sport I have created. I lost inspiration and stopped my last two SFF threads, and I think it was because they were too bland for me. This time I'm trying to avoid that, by creating an entirely new sport! It is basically a mixture of popular sports in the modern US today; basketball, football, soccer, and rugby.

Now for the backstory/history of the early years of the game:

MultiBall was founded by James Davidson at the University of California Santa Barbara in 1966. Davidson was attending graduate school at the time, and was a young 25 years old. He was a huge sports fan, but in recent years had begun to fell bored with the major sports he loved. So, he came up with the idea to merge together his favorite sports; basketball, football, and soccer, while also taking parts from a less popular sport in America; rugby. At first, he played the game with friends and other people he knew at the school, and at UCSB, it had gained quite a following. By 1968, the school had a full intramural league for students to play in.

In 1969, Davidson finished graduate school, and became a professor at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), bringing his new sport with him. The sport was also a hit in LA, and UCLA began a league of their own. On May 8, 1970, the first inter-collegiate game took place between UCSB and UCLA, with UCSB winning 68-61.

From there, the game grew amazingly quickly among the Western United States. By 1975, the sport was nearing official NCAA sponsorship, and just over 45 schools were fielding teams. This led a graduate of UCSB, owner of Pacific Enterprises, and MultiBall fanatic David Wilson to bring up the idea of starting a brand new league; the Professional MultiBall League (PMBL).

Now before I go any further, here are the rules of the game:

Spoiler

How to Score

• Kicking the Ball into the goal (5 points)

• Throwing the Ball into the goal (2 points)

• Making a basket (2 points, 4 from behind the arc)

• Running in a touchdown (3 points)

Rules

1. If a player is tackled, they drop the ball for someone on the other team to pick it up.

2. The ball is advanced by carrying, passing, or kicking the ball.

3. The player may not place the ball on the ground to be kicked, they must catch it off their foot/chest/leg from the air.

1. IF the player does this, or hits it with their arm before being kicked, it will be known as illegal touching.

1. This will result in loss of possession.

4. If a player goes out of bounds, it will result in a thrown in for the other team. There are no corner kicks.

1. The team has 10 seconds to throw the ball in once handed to them by the referee. If they fail to throw it in or call a timeout in 10 seconds, they lose possession.

5. Fighting is allowed. Fights will be broken up as decided by referees.

6. Forwards AND backwards passing is legal.

1. If the pass is dropped, a player from the opposing team takes the ball and play continues.

2. Interceptions and fumbles act the same as in football.

7. Games are played in three 15 minute periods.

1. Overtimes are 10 minutes long.

2. Teams get 5 timeouts per game.

8. Fouls include targeting (aiming for a players head, diving at their knees), goaltending, illegal touching, or any technical foul given by the referee (these include arguing with the ref, throwing the ball into the stands, or committing a foul inside the foul box).

1. A player has 4 fouls per game.

9. If a foul occurs in the foul box, the opposing team gets 2 points, and retains possession.

1. Any foul in the foul box is considered a technical.

2. If a technical foul occurs outside the foul box, the opposing team receives 1 point and retains possession.

10. The ball may only be thrown into the two outer sections of the goal, and can only be kicked into the middle section of the goal.

11. Teams play with 8 players on the field at a time.

1. Positions; goalie, forward, middleman, defender

Field and Goal:

Spoiler
Spoiler
  1. on a 120x60ft field.

Here is field and goals:

7IuEJaP.png

XB74uYZ.png

On July 18, 1975, league president and commissioner David Wilson announced that the PMBL would begin play in the Spring of 1976, with 8 original teams:

- Los Angeles Palms

- Phoenix Roadrunners

- Portland Beavers

- Sacramento Sharks

- Salt Lake Hornets

- San Diego Tsunamis

- San Francisco Suns

- Seattle Mammoths

Teams will play a 28 game schedule for the inaugural season (college teams had been playing 10-15 game seasons), playing 2 home and 2 away games against each team.

I will be releasing the branding for the teams over the next 2-3 days.

C&C on the league, rules, and pretty much anything is appreciated + encouraged!

It's time for the first team! The uniform template I will be using for all teams is an my own edited version of raysox's base template.

Team: Los Angeles Palms

Located: Los Angeles, CA

Owner: Pacific Enterprises

Colors: Green, Light Blue

The Palms are owned by the extremely wealthy Pacific Enterprises. They called they team the Palms because they said they “represent the heart and spirit of Los Angeles” -Richard Newman, CEO

Logos

cmMPgiF.png

Uniforms

FlZZ9ZB.png

Field

fG8S3a5.png

C&C on the LA Palms is appreciated + encouraged!

Now here's the second team:

Team: Seattle Mammoths

Located: Seattle, WA

Owner: Gerald McDowal

Colors: Navy, Pale Gold

When Gerald McDowal learned of the PMBL, he knew he wanted a team. The rich Seattle philanthropist was the first to open a bid for a team, and David Wilson accepted in just 3 days. McDowal decided to name the team the Mammoths because of his obsession with the history of the world, and the fact that the Wooly Mammoth is Washington's state fossil.

Logos

2Usdmp5.png

Uniforms

xGnAq8m.png

Field

qyE8n37.png

C&C on the Seattle Mammoths is appreciated + encouraged!

Now it's time for the third team:

Team: Sacramento Sharks

Located: Sacramento, CA

Owner: Earl Coolidge

Colors: Dark Blue, Baby Blue

Earl Coolidge, the first black MultiBall player at UC-Davis (where he hold the record for points), was sitting on the beach watching the sunset when he heard of David Wilson's new league. A rich, independent entrepreneur, Coolidge was the second owner to place a bid for a team. He wanted to base them out of Sacramento because he felt that NorCal was getting the love SoCal was from the MultiBall community. He plans to call them the sharks because when he first met with David Wilson at Dolphin Pier Restaurant, he claims to have seen multiple shark fins near the shoreline. He also think it sounds tough.

Logos

X2g0EWc.png

Uniforms

0DAcbEG.png

Field

7O6PDR5.png

C&C on the Sacramento Sharks is appreciated + encouraged!

LA has a good vibe to it. Love the colors. Might try it without an outline, like it is in the wordmark. The outline makes it look less like a palm tree and more like a squashed spider.  Good start though. 

Seattle: again good vibe, good color choices. Degree of difficulty is high with an animal like a mammoth and I don’t think you quite have the face proportioned correctly. I’d look at a few more reference images, but I feel like it needs to be fatter at the top of the trunk, and the eyes separated more. Right now it looks like a monkey peeking out above some tusks.  Shading and line thickness are great though.  This could be a really great logo with a few tweaks.

Sacramento: Not feeling this one as much. I’d simplify this one a bit more. Fitting sAc inside the shark just feels too forced to me. Either shrink the letters or thicken the line around the shark. Need a better balance. The secondary logo looks more like a sorcerer’s hat than a fin. Removing the weirdly-shaped S would help.

Los Angeles looks great! The second uniform is a bit boring, maybe put the stripe again? 

Also I agree with everything @appleclock said!

3 hours ago, appleclock said:

LA has a good vibe to it. Love the colors. Might try it without an outline, like it is in the wordmark. The outline makes it look less like a palm tree and more like a squashed spider.  Good start though. 

Seattle: again good vibe, good color choices. Degree of difficulty is high with an animal like a mammoth and I don’t think you quite have the face proportioned correctly. I’d look at a few more reference images, but I feel like it needs to be fatter at the top of the trunk, and the eyes separated more. Right now it looks like a monkey peeking out above some tusks.  Shading and line thickness are great though.  This could be a really great logo with a few tweaks.

Sacramento: Not feeling this one as much. I’d simplify this one a bit more. Fitting sAc inside the shark just feels too forced to me. Either shrink the letters or thicken the line around the shark. Need a better balance. The secondary logo looks more like a sorcerer’s hat than a fin. Removing the weirdly-shaped S would help.

2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Los Angeles looks great! The second uniform is a bit boring, maybe put the stripe again? 

Also I agree with everything @appleclock said!

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm hopefully going to do some final tweaks and finish the last few teams tomorrow, but right now here's the fourth team, we're halfway through!

Now it's time for the third team:

Team: San Diego Tsunamis

Located: San Diego, CA

Owner: Bert Love

Colors: Red, Blue, Light Black

Bert Love is a Northern Californian farmer who struck gold in 1972... literally. While hoein' away at some Earth he hit something metal. It wound up being one of the biggest pieces of natural gold ever found, and he turned it in for $8 million. Now Love hopes to grow his wealth by starting a MultiBall team in his favorite vacationing city; San Diego, home of Ron Burgundy. Bert is a man of the people, and he gave them the choice of the team's nickname. After a long contest, it was down to three names; Tsunamis, Dolphins, and Guards. Tsunamis won with a whopping 87% of the vote.

Logos

03EDkPC.png

Uniforms

372DDN2.png

Field

JNxNmHH.png

C&C on the San Diego Tsunamis is appreciated + encouraged!

Get rid of the first logo and replace it with the secondary, that primary is brutal. Looks like fire more than anything the secondary is much cleaner. Also the colors don’t seem right for a team called the tsunamis? I’d suggest going blue white. Although I don’t think the colors are as big of a problem as the logo. 

Lose the red and stick with blue and white.

I like where this one is going. But why two completely different waves? Wave number 2 looks great. Wave number 1 looks terrible. If you’re gunning for two logos, I would tack San Diego onto wave number two and wave goodbye to wave number 1. As for the colors, I don’t mind the red at all, but black has got to go. The wave should be blue in all instances but you could get away with a thicker red circle surrounding it. One thing I don’t understand with your logo sheet is why black is shown as the “dark color background” and blue isn’t, when blue is in fact the uniform color. Anyway good work so far.

Wave number 1 looks like it's trying to maybe be Godzilla.  But not in a good way.  Wave 2 looks great.  

On 8/5/2018 at 8:55 PM, appleclock said:

LA has a good vibe to it. Love the colors. Might try it without an outline, like it is in the wordmark. The outline makes it look less like a palm tree and more like a squashed spider.

Sacramento: Not feeling this one as much. I’d simplify this one a bit more. Fitting sAc inside the shark just feels too forced to me. Either shrink the letters or thicken the line around the shark. Need a better balance.

On 8/6/2018 at 12:44 AM, BellaSpurs said:

Get rid of the first logo and replace it with the secondary, that primary is brutal. Looks like fire more than anything the secondary is much cleaner. Also the colors don’t seem right for a team called the tsunamis? I’d suggest going blue white. Although I don’t think the colors are as big of a problem as the logo. 

On 8/6/2018 at 12:52 AM, neo_prankster said:

Lose the red and stick with blue and white.

On 8/6/2018 at 8:41 AM, appleclock said:

I like where this one is going. But why two completely different waves? Wave number 2 looks great. Wave number 1 looks terrible. If you’re gunning for two logos, I would tack San Diego onto wave number two and wave goodbye to wave number 1. As for the colors, I don’t mind the red at all, but black has got to go. The wave should be blue in all instances but you could get away with a thicker red circle surrounding it. One thing I don’t understand with your logo sheet is why black is shown as the “dark color background” and blue isn’t, when blue is in fact the uniform color. Anyway good work so far.

17 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

Wave number 1 looks like it's trying to maybe be Godzilla.  But not in a good way.  Wave 2 looks great.  

Thanks for the Feedback everyone! Here are the changes I made:

I got rid of the black outlines for all of Los Angeles' logos, as @appleclock suggested:

EGdbbCE.png

I also fixed all uniform and field logos, these were more minor:

Spoiler

mRIzesK.png

DsgIwZT.png

I changed up Sacramento and San Diego quite a bit. I redid Sacramento's primary, and gave them a new dark navy and grey color scheme. I gave their old double blue colors to San Diego, whose logos I also redid, as pretty much everyone suggested:

Sacramento Sharks v2

7gtBjSc.png

pLtS5dV.png

859aXnp.png

San Diego Tsunamis v2

omDo6Du.png

A0N2NCO.png

SnnOOt0.png

On top of these changes, I also have two new teams to share!

Team: San Francisco Suns

Located: San Francisco, CA

Owner: Bayside Fish Co.

Colors: Orange, Gold

The San Francisco Suns are owned by Bayside Fish Company, the leading fishing company in the San Francisco Bay Area. The company is owned by a group of 4 men, 2 of whom went to graduate school with James Davidson at UCSB, making them prime candidates for owning a PMBL team. They will be known as the suns because it's.... sunny in San Fran!

Logos

N7CaKWF.png

Uniforms

nRGLVX1.png

Field

a84Hkr6.png

Team: Portland Beavers

Located: Portland, OR

Owner: Kevin Wilson

Colors: Green, Maroon

Kevin Wilson, cousin of David Wilson (the creator of MultiBall), will own the Portland Beavers, the team based in his family's (including David) hometown. When Davidson originally started the PMBL, he wanted to co-commission the league with David Wilson. When he declined due to personal reasons, Davidson went to his cousin, Kevin. He said no to co-commissioner, but yes to owner.

Portland will be called the beavers because it is the Oregon state animal.

Logos

7Ay0kah.png

Uniforms

0ZGKaTd.png

Field

xUbWIxN.png

C+C on the new changes, San Francisco Suns, + Portland Beavers is appreciated + encouraged!

Major improvements on LA and San Diego, I think that the shades of orange and yellow for San Francisco are too similar, I would suggest darkening the orange a little (maybe the same shade as the golden gate bridge). I really like the Portland logos and colors, those shorts are wild but I love them.

I really like Portland, the colors are great, the logo is simple and effective, the wordmark looks like a license plate or something but that’s kinda cool... only issue is the lack of contrast in your logo sheet with the secondary logo on the colored backgrounds,

I like the improvements to the other teams too.  Sacramento looks a lot edgier just with the darker blue. 

San Francisco is just kinda meh. It’s nothing terribly bad, just not really unique.  I guess my advice would be to increase the size of SF inside the sun and be mindful that yellow on white does not contrast enough, especially on the orange uniform. Gets washed out badly.

I would add outlines to the secondary Portland logo. The Suns logo is a bit awkward and the colors blend too much.Try a darker orange and maybe shape the sun logo up and that F seems really weird, maybe fix that middle stem? I like the cursive font though but it’s not the same font as you put in the logo sheet! I like the field version better. 

I love the pants for Portland it’s surprisingly a good idea that’s unique to them. The new update so for San Diego and Sac are good I like the color pallet changes! Although the two wave patterns are a bit to similar. I think Los Angeles is still my favorite but I also think Portland is also really well made!

11 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I would add outlines to the secondary Portland logo.

12 hours ago, appleclock said:

I really like Portland, the colors are great, the logo is simple and effective, the wordmark looks like a license plate or something but that’s kinda cool... only issue is the lack of contrast in your logo sheet with the secondary logo on the colored backgrounds,

I added outlines to Portland's secondary logos on the logo sheet, hopefully it looks better for you guys now!

And the goal with Portland's wordmark was to make something that looked like something you would see in a lumber yard. It does like kinda like a license plate lol.

Here's the seventh team, only one more to go!

Team: Salt Lake Hornets

Located: Salt Lake City, UT

Owner: Teddy Yampa

Colors: Green, Dark Green, Tan

Teddy Yampa is one of the leading investors in Utah. He owns multiple businesses, and had large investments in many others. He is the 4th richest man in America, and he hopes to grow his wealth by owning a team in this new, up-and-coming league. One of Yampa's biggest local investments is in Smith Beekeeping, who supplies 63% of America's honey. Because of this, and the fact that it is the Utah state insect, Teddy Yampa will call his team the hornets.

Logos

6wjOpFz.png

Uniforms

jzvcihM.png

Field

nS6Y2B6.png

C&C on the Salt Lake Hornets is appreciated + encouraged!

The final team is finally completed, and my next post will most likely be the results for the first season.

Team: Phoenix Roadrunners

Located: Phoenix, AZ

Owner: Liam VonCowel

Colors: Purple, Red

Liam VonCowel was known as the best player of the ACMBL (Arizona College MultiBall League) during his playing days at Arizona State University, but with no pro league, his career stopped there. After college, he started VonCowel Pools, who now supply more than 85% of the pools in Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico. He will name the team after Arizona's state animal, the roadrunner.

Logos

pnyDo1s.png

Uniforms

aajJkKJ.png

Field

MlgonfX.png

C&C on the Arizona Roadrunners is appreciated + encouraged!

7fGBHwa.png

Before the 1976 Season teams were allowed to sign players for as much money as they wanted; there was no salary cap. There was also no draft, as there were too many players, and it would consist of too many rounds. Instead, every hopeful professional MultiBaller attended regional combines in the Pacific Northwest, Rocky Mountains, NorCal, SoCal, and the Southwest where they would be evaluated and offered contracts by PMBL teams. In coming years, the PMBL Draft will be held in January where teams can select college prospects over the course of 4 rounds.

San Diego Tsunamis

Surprisingly Bert Love, the owner of the Tsunamis, was willing to pay the 3rd most in contracts for this season. The team's strategy was to go out and get older, more experienced players from the Californian Region. They were able to sign Manuel Ramirez, the leading scorer in Cal-Berkeley History, to a 3-year, $4 million contract, one of the largest from this offseason. They also got Peter Evans on board, the start forward from Sacramento State, on a 4-year, $2.5 million contract. Look for the Tsunamis to dominate the PMBL this season. They will be the favorites to take home the first Davidson Cup this season.

Sacramento Sharks

Sacramento was a team who focused on forming a solid balanced squad, and they did just that. They signed UNLV Defender Kevin Miles to a 2-year, $3.3 million, to strengthen their back line. They also went out and got a young, UCSB goalie in Grant McClaen, who they hope to develop over the coming years. After signing multiple solid role players, the Sharks look to be the best challenger for a stacked San Diego team this coming season.

Salt Lake Hornets

Salt Lake made the biggest splash this free agency when on the first day they signed legendary goalie Ben Sause from Washington State to a 5-year, $4.4 million contract, the largest of the offseason. Despite his age, the Hornets hope he can last his entire 5-year contract and provide the goal protection they will need. The Hornets will be a defensive minded team, running a 1-3-3 set with a sole forward, Matt Ligate.

Los Angeles Palms

Before Free Agency, many believed LA would form a superteam due to their large market and the belief they would be handing out large contracts. This wound up not being the case, and the largest contract the Palms signed was a 3-year, $2.7 million deal with defender Ricky Jackson from Pacific University. They did, however, sign a number of older and experienced players who should propel them to a near playoff spot.

San Francisco Suns

The Suns will be led by Max Anderson, former star defender at Nevada. He is leading scorer in the history of college defenders, and is the 7th all-time scorer in Wolfpack history, despite being a defender. The Suns will be utilizing an offensive attack in a 2-3-1 formation with Anderson anchoring their back line. The Suns also got numerous young prospects, fresh out of college, in hopes that they would develop over the coming years, and set them up for the future.

Portland Beavers

These bottom three teams, starting with Portland, have little-to-no shot this coming season, after refusing to hand out large contracts. Not only was owner Kevin Wilson reluctant to pay, he will be coaching the team himself, because he says "MultiBall is in my blood." Oh boy.

Seattle Mammoths

Seattle also payed very little this offseason. The biggest contract they handed out was to former USC forward Jack Wright who received a 2-year, $1.9 million deal. The Mammoths did, however, sign decorated Santa Clara head coach Bernard Tankerson on board.

Arizona Roadrunners

Investor Liam VonCowel was the stingiest owner this free agency, only handing out one contract $1.5 million or more. Don't be surprised if Arizona doesn't win a game this season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Way-To-Early Davidson Cup Playoffs Predictions

1. San Diego vs. 4. Los Angeles

San Diego, who looks to be one of the best offensive teams this season, will have problems with a weak Palms defense.

San Diego wins the series 3-1.

2. Sacramento vs. 3. Salt Lake

This series won't be a fun one to watch, and will be dominated by defense. Look for goalie Ben Sause to have a big impact.

Salt Lake wins the series 3-2.

1. San Diego vs. 3. Salt Lake

San Diego's high-powered offense will be too much for Salt Lake to handle.

San Diego wins the series 4-2.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C+C is appreciated + encouraged! Thanks for reading!

1. What kind of ball is this?

2. Are the salaries you mentioned per year or total?