"(Insert Team Name) Shoots Twice"

Mac the Knife

In looking at various NHL/AHL/ECHL season ticket plans this week, I keep seeing the same thing on the seating diagrams:  a phrase on the ice of "(Insert Name Here) Shoot(s) Twice."

I'm obviously not getting it.  What is this supposed to imply/mean?  Can some puckhead educate me?

nav-logo.png

That's the end that the home team shoots toward in the first and third periods. The goalies change ends for the second period and overtime. If you want a better chance of seeing the home team score goals, you'd want to sit in the shoot-twice end (though more goals are scored in the long-change periods because of easier odd-man rushes).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Tickets are usually cheaper in the shoot once end too. Also it’s helpful to know in the event you’re buying tickets to see your team on the road so you get to sit in their shoot twice end. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Thanks to the Cincinnati Cyclones, I found my answer to this.

I've attended hundreds of hockey games in my life.  I was a PA announcer in the ECHL for a year and a half.  And I swear to God, it never registered to me that because they play three periods rather than four, there was a dissimilarity there.  31 years of following hockey, and today I got my mind blown by something that I should've been able to figure out by the time I'd attended my... fifth or sixth game.  <smacks forehead>

nav-logo.png

Archived