NEW YORK KNICKS STATEMENT JERSEY BY KONG TOM

KingKongTom

Looks pretty good man! I’m in a minority thinking that the Knicks made black work pretty well with their identity, and I like vol 3 here! 

Did you mess around with trying to get the Empire State Building silhouette on the uni somehow like DoctorC said? 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Vitalogy26 said:

Looks pretty good man! I’m in a minority thinking that the Knicks made black work pretty well with their identity, and I like vol 3 here! 

Did you mess around with trying to get the Empire State Building silhouette on the uni somehow like DoctorC said? 

I just whipped something up, I appreciate the kind words.

2 minutes ago, KingKongTom said:

THIS IS VOL 5

Knicks_Away_Concept_VOL_5.png

Looks much more cohesive matching the waistbands to the shoulder stripes and i think it’s almost there! Did the silhouette look too goofy at a longer size? I think it’s a little too short here. 

1 minute ago, Vitalogy26 said:

Looks much more cohesive matching the waistbands to the shoulder stripes and i think it’s almost there! Did the silhouette look too goofy at a longer size? I think it’s a little too short here. 

I also wanted to make it taller, but it starts looking a little funny, so I opted for the shorter one.

I like this and could see New York using this as the community inspired jersey someday. It really looks good. Black SHOULD be a Knicks color. The Empire State Building is an interesting idea, and I like that you added a woodmark instead of a logo. I’m impressed that you took criticism and changed the uniform. Definitely making steps towards the right direction. Keep it up.

7 hours ago, hendocfc said:

Try to make the outline widths consistent between the side panels and the shorts,it would look more cohesive.

Very minor detail as well: Nudge the "NEW YORK" wordmark a tiny bit to the left as it's not centered right now

2 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I like this and could see New York using this as the community inspired jersey someday. It really looks good. Black SHOULD be a Knicks color. The Empire State Building is an interesting idea, and I like that you added a woodmark instead of a logo. I’m impressed that you took criticism and changed the uniform. Definitely making steps towards the right direction. Keep it up.

1 hour ago, Dan O'Mac said:

It looks like the Empire State Building is going to tickle the player's armpit.

1 hour ago, KoopaTroopa said:

I like the blue... 

Thank you all for the feedback, and some for the kind words. I am glad that I can listen to all your feedback now without getting angry.

A couple of minor housekeeping suggestions. You want to keep the edges of the side view box as straight lines. Currently you have the bottom of the jersey side view and the top and bottom of the shorts side view interrupted by a white line. You just need to extend border of the box all the way across. Use a line tool set to three pixels and select the color of the box and draw it across the edges. That will maintain a nice crisp presentation and avoid any confusion.

Right now I'm not sure if you want white outline across the top of a truncated jersey side panel or if you want the panel to continue from the waist all the way to the armpit. 

Keep trying and keep experimenting with the tools in your software. 

Look, while this is a big improvement from where you began, this concept is still very crude.  There is a lack of color balance between the wordmark/numbers, trim, and side striping.  To go along with that, the numbers are much too large.  Anyhow this concept is already incredibly similar to the late 90's early 2000's look.  I would suggest injecting a little more creativity and time to improve a quite frankly, very simple concept.  

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

A couple of minor housekeeping suggestions. You want to keep the edges of the side view box as straight lines. Currently you have the bottom of the jersey side view and the top and bottom of the shorts side view interrupted by a white line. You just need to extend border of the box all the way across. Use a line tool set to three pixels and select the color of the box and draw it across the edges. That will maintain a nice crisp presentation and avoid any confusion.

Right now I'm not sure if you want white outline across the top of a truncated jersey side panel or if you want the panel to continue from the waist all the way to the armpit. 

Keep trying and keep experimenting with the tools in your software. 

Noted. I will do that for my next concept.

58 minutes ago, infernoqueso said:

Look, while this is a big improvement from where you began, this concept is still very crude.  There is a lack of color balance between the wordmark/numbers, trim, and side striping.  To go along with that, the numbers are much too large.  Anyhow this concept is already incredibly similar to the late 90's early 2000's look.  I would suggest injecting a little more creativity and time to improve a quite frankly, very simple concept.  

Thank you for the feedback. I wanted to start with a simple concept so I can start getting my presentation better, and then work my way up.

5 pieces of advice:

1. Stop saying things like "this is my best concept ever" or that people hated a previous concept because it was "to out there" (they hated it because it was sloppy, thoughtless, and generally not good. Too out there can work and get a good response if presented correctly). That's not for you to decide and making such proclamations doesn't help people seriously consider your work. Just post your work and ask for C+C, maybe add a quick write up of why you made the choices you made. 

2. Right now you’re still learning how to use your design tool, which is fine, we all gotta start somewhere, but while you’re learning you're just throwing the elements into the template without thinking about why you’re using them where you are. More on that later. Like the Jets concept, there’s some technical things that immediately prevent me from taking these seriously before we even get to the basic ideas behind the concept - The numbers are too close together, the outlines are too thin, the numbers are much too large, the NBA logo is too big, the side stripes overlap the box they’re presented in, the side stripes aren't visible from the front or back views, the NBA would never put the Nike or sponsor logo in black on a blue background, on some of the concepts the jersey stripes don't lineup with the shorts stripe, which could be a design choice, but almost 0 NBA jerseys don't match the jersey stripes to the shorts so that just feels like an error. It feels like you're just using the fill tool for the open spaces because you don't yet know how to put a stripe in a shoulder cuff or collar, and not because you actually think it looks best when it's plain black, the white stripes in the side stripes don’t terminate with the rest of the stripes, which looks like a mistake even if it wasn’t. 

3. Now for the ideas behind the concept - I don't really see any kind of thought process here. What message are you trying to get across? Is it that the Knicks should wear black because they already did that. Let’s imagine you’ve been hired to design a new uniform for the Knicks. Consider what they're wearing now and what they've worn before. What does this do for them that improves upon their current look? Why? Would they want to go back to using black as a trim color and if they did, would they structure it this way and why? It's interesting you called this a "statement" jersey when I don't see any statement being made here. You’re basically guessing here with no thought process to how the elements work together. A lot of people make this mistake where they present a look - it has stripes and colors and logos and things are placed on the template, and even if it happens to look good, it's not all the way there because they can't provide a provide a reason for their choices, and that's because they never started with a point of view they want to get across, they never started with a story to tell. This looks like a worse version of the uniforms the Knicks started wearing in the late 90’s up until the 2010’s and so what even is the statement behind your concept then? You’ve basically copied what they already wore and have since changed from, but made them worse, so it’s not an improvement over their current unis, it’s not an improvement over the previous unis, and it’s not saying anything new. You haven't really done anything here the Knicks haven't already done themselves. 

4. Where you had a good idea was in two places - using the empire state building as the side stripe is a solid starting point and something they haven't done before and they could run with that. Clean up the artwork, though, and think about how it would actually work on a uniform - Maybe the building would work best as just the shorts stripe and you leave the jersey stripeless? maybe the building extends a little higher up the side of the player, but match the shorts stripe to the exact width and dimensions of the bottom of the building so it flows from jersey to shorts. Second good idea I thought was using the full logo instead of the NEW YORK wordmark. If this is an alternate then you want it to be a departure from the regular home and roads. Maybe instead of New York it says "KNICKS" - teach yourself how to arch a wordmark. 

5. Study the jerseys in the NBA and college. Ask yourself why something looks good or why it doesn't. Look at how the various elements work with one another, look at basic things like how the numbers are outlined, or how big the names on the back are, or how they kern the lettering in a wordmark. Those are small things that if done poorly can break a concept before anyone even thinks about the idea behind the concept, which is why nobody took your Jets concept seriously. 

TL/DR - have a point of view, have a message you want people to get, make sure the details are tight and clean before you share, don't come out and proclaim your genius when your work will say everything we need to know.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived