"Desecrating" the NFL

MDGP

Hey all! I've been wanting to do a series regarding the NFL that was a no-rules free for all where team history doesn't matter, and everything is brand new. So instead I decided on the current series, based upon the idea above, but with a few rules.

THE RULES

1. The uniform must be brand new. The design may never have been worn previously by the franchise.

2. A team's uniform must be "drastically different." i.e. Obviously different to the average person on this site.

3. Elements may be taken from current or former uniforms, and may be mixed and matched, so long as a new uniform is created.

4. Logos may remain the same. This is mostly a uniform project.

With that being said, get ready to see some of your favorite untouchable uniforms get touched a lot!

First up, the New York Jets!

Since the Jets are receiving a new design next year, it felt fitting to begin with them.

For the Jets, I decided to follow the path well travelled, and create a double green look, to symbolize the two general eras of Jets football.

TEoy4Jk.png

The main feature of the uniform is the shoulder yoke/ucla stripe combination upon the shoulders. This combination pays homage to the current and Namath era looks while being unique in its own right. The away uniform features a double colored yoke, with the sleeves a dark green, and the shoulder area the kelly green color. The decision here was mostly for color balance, and because I simply liked the look better than a simple mirror of the home uniform.

The helmet features an updates "JETS" plane logo featuring the new custom wordmark. In my mind when I think of jets, I think of the Nighthawk Stealth Bomber. Therefore, I wanted to take the angular look of those jets, and incorporate them into the lettering as well as the speeding jet in the helmet logo. Finally, the helmet, pants and socks all feature a Dark-White-Kelly-White-Dark color scheme.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Double green again! Nice! I like everything except for trying to bring the titan’s yoke and keeping the loops on the arm. I would say pick one or the other . . . 

Unless of course that’s the point in which case I’ll shut the hell up and continue the desecration.

Hey guys! Thanks for the comments! I'm really happy with the response so far.

17 hours ago, Vitalogy26 said:

Double green again! Nice! I like everything except for trying to bring the titan’s yoke and keeping the loops on the arm. I would say pick one or the other . . . 

Unless of course that’s the point in which case I’ll shut the hell up and continue the desecration.

The double green yoke and the shoulder stripes are actually pretty integral to the design, as I wanted something that hadn't ever been seen in the NFL before. I feel without the shoulder yokes, the design would be a bit too Colts and would drastically alter the color balance. Without the stripes there wasn't enough going on the shoulders. I will say that I definitely designed this one knowing that it could receive some backlash, haha. All part of the plan!

The second team should be up shortly!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

So, in order to keep you all on your toes, I'm going to release the teams at semi-random!

Next up, the New Orleans Saints.

gQQCkjr.png

The saints have always been almost there for me, and I think a few tweaks would make the current design great. I find that the Saints current gold is a little bland, especially compared to the color they used in the 70's/color rush game, so I wanted to emphasize that color, and emphasize it more. Most notably, white is completely removed from the home uniform, and all elements aside from the color of the away uniform are devoid of white.

I like the overall simplicity of the Saints' current uniforms, so naturally I added a main element that was very intricate.The main feature of the uniform is a striping pattern inspired by the famous wrought iron fencing found in the french quarter. This detail is designed to resemble a fleur de lis (click image to see detail). The striping is featured on the helmet, sleeves, and pants, but not on the socks. I figure that the stretching of socks, and general inability by players to wear them correctly would ultimately cause problems with the design that normal striping wouldn't face, so the design was left off. The jersey number also is meant to emulate that wrought iron style.

15 hours ago, Lafarge said:

So, in order to keep you all on your toes, I'm going to release the teams at semi-random!

Next up, the New Orleans Saints.

gQQCkjr.png

The saints have always been almost there for me, and I think a few tweaks would make the current design great. I find that the Saints current gold is a little bland, especially compared to the color they used in the 70's/color rush game, so I wanted to emphasize that color, and emphasize it more. Most notably, white is completely removed from the home uniform, and all elements aside from the color of the away uniform are devoid of white.

I like the overall simplicity of the Saints' current uniforms, so naturally I added a main element that was very intricate.The main feature of the uniform is a striping pattern inspired by the famous wrought iron fencing found in the french quarter. This detail is designed to resemble a fleur de lis (click image to see detail). The striping is featured on the helmet, sleeves, and pants, but not on the socks. I figure that the stretching of socks, and general inability by players to wear them correctly would ultimately cause problems with the design that normal striping wouldn't face, so the design was left off. The jersey number also is meant to emulate that wrought iron style.

giphy.webp

Thanks for the comments everyone! Glad to see most of you guys like it. I actually made it originally expecting to hate the design, and was pleasantly surprised with the result.

20 hours ago, Notupinhere said:

The Saints one looks great.  My only change would be black numbers on the away. Personally think it brings a bit more balance.

I actually originally was going to go with black numbers, but I wasn't a huge fan. 

0hTdSBK.png

It works, but it just doesn't quite nail it the same way that the gold numbers do in my opinion.

8 hours ago, Whittier S said:

The Saints striping pattern is so ornate that even with a little distance, it doesn't read as anything.

That's a good point, I actually forgot to mention that in the original post, but that was partially what I was going for. Up close you get all the detail, and as you get farther away it looks more like a simple single stripe with a sort of texture. I was going for a look similar to sublimation that can only bee seen from up close, but obviously not sublimated.

Time or our first "traditional" team:

tenor.gif

So this one requires a bit of explanation. A few years back I was working on a throwback uniform series that would function similar to the NFL 94 and AFL 09 anniversary seasons, featuring fauxback uniforms as though every team existed in the 20s and 30s. Ever since that project, I've been searching for a way to work elements from those uniforms into modern designs while avoiding travesties like the Bears and Steelers throwbacks.

C0ATOP3.png

I found that vertical stripes on the torso either created problems with the numbers or would be pushed to the side of the uniforms and become invisible, so I moved the design to the sleeves. Each sleeve features three vertical stripes (similar to Indiana's new candystripe sleeves) and a fourth shoulder stripe designed to emulate the chevron featured in the late 1920s uniforms, the four shoulder stripes on the 1934 white uniforms, and the current bears triple striping scheme. The blue elements of the uniform feature orange-navy-orange striping pattern, which appears as a double orange stripe on the pants. The white pants feature the same design with the blue stripe visible. Finally, the number font has been updated to be a bridge between the old block number and the current number. 

5 hours ago, Lafarge said:

Thanks for the comments everyone! Glad to see most of you guys like it. I actually made it originally expecting to hate the design, and was pleasantly surprised with the result.

I actually originally was going to go with black numbers, but I wasn't a huge fan. 

0hTdSBK.png

It works, but it just doesn't quite nail it the same way that the gold numbers do in my opinion.

That's a good point, I actually forgot to mention that in the original post, but that was partially what I was going for. Up close you get all the detail, and as you get farther away it looks more like a simple single stripe with a sort of texture. I was going for a look similar to sublimation that can only bee seen from up close, but obviously not sublimated.

I like the black having seen it now. But looks great regardless.

Archived