"Desecrating" the NFL

MDGP

5 hours ago, Lafarge said:

Time or our first "traditional" team:

tenor.gif

So this one requires a bit of explanation. A few years back I was working on a throwback uniform series that would function similar to the NFL 94 and AFL 09 anniversary seasons, featuring fauxback uniforms as though every team existed in the 20s and 30s. Ever since that project, I've been searching for a way to work elements from those uniforms into modern designs while avoiding travesties like the Bears and Steelers throwbacks.

C0ATOP3.png

I found that vertical stripes on the torso either created problems with the numbers or would be pushed to the side of the uniforms and become invisible, so I moved the design to the sleeves. Each sleeve features three vertical stripes (similar to Indiana's new candystripe sleeves) and a fourth shoulder stripe designed to emulate the chevron featured in the late 1920s uniforms, the four shoulder stripes on the 1934 white uniforms, and the current bears triple striping scheme. The blue elements of the uniform feature orange-navy-orange striping pattern, which appears as a double orange stripe on the pants. The white pants feature the same design with the blue stripe visible. Finally, the number font has been updated to be a bridge between the old block number and the current number. 

The "GSH" is gone...that seems controversial. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Lafarge said:

Time or our first "traditional" team:

tenor.gif

So this one requires a bit of explanation. A few years back I was working on a throwback uniform series that would function similar to the NFL 94 and AFL 09 anniversary seasons, featuring fauxback uniforms as though every team existed in the 20s and 30s. Ever since that project, I've been searching for a way to work elements from those uniforms into modern designs while avoiding travesties like the Bears and Steelers throwbacks.

C0ATOP3.png

I found that vertical stripes on the torso either created problems with the numbers or would be pushed to the side of the uniforms and become invisible, so I moved the design to the sleeves. Each sleeve features three vertical stripes (similar to Indiana's new candystripe sleeves) and a fourth shoulder stripe designed to emulate the chevron featured in the late 1920s uniforms, the four shoulder stripes on the 1934 white uniforms, and the current bears triple striping scheme. The blue elements of the uniform feature orange-navy-orange striping pattern, which appears as a double orange stripe on the pants. The white pants feature the same design with the blue stripe visible. Finally, the number font has been updated to be a bridge between the old block number and the current number. 

Bears look really nice. I love the sleeve treatments. It's a great update of the 1920's look and I would love to see that on the field.

My only complaint is the stripes on the white pants and the socks. Somehow its not working for me. Maybe its the proportions? Maybe go with the three stripe pattern they currently use? Or even just drop it down to one narrow stripe (blue on the white pants, orange on the blue pants).

Maybe on the helmet either and all orange "C" or the bear-head logo?

354.gif

11 hours ago, Placebo said:

The "GSH" is gone...that seems controversial. 

I’m going to be honest, I completely forgot about the GSH on the sleeves while making this. While I do agree with JohnnyRfl on this being a good way to honor Halas, I probably will add the GSH back in simply because I enjoy the weirdness of a permanent memorial on the jersey.

1 hour ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I feel that the best place for the GSH is the back of the helmet.

Back of the helmet is one of the four places I’ve been thinking about, I’m gonna give them all a shot and hopefully have something that both works and is unique.

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Bears look really nice. I love the sleeve treatments. It's a great update of the 1920's look and I would love to see that on the field.

My only complaint is the stripes on the white pants and the socks. Somehow its not working for me. Maybe its the proportions? Maybe go with the three stripe pattern they currently use? Or even just drop it down to one narrow stripe (blue on the white pants, orange on the blue pants).

Maybe on the helmet either and all orange "C" or the bear-head logo?

354.gif

I’ve actually been thinking the same thing about the stripes. I think the main issue is that I was a bit careless with the widths between lines, so the pants and and socks appear much closer than the sleeve stripes, creating a weird look. 

In in regards to the logos, I actually did try the wishbone C without an outline. I did like it but was worried about visibility issues. I might try it again and show you guys in the update. Regarding the bear head, I actually really dislike that logo, so it won’t be anywhere near the design.

i should have an update for the Bears up in a few hours along with the next team!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 8/10/2018 at 3:43 PM, stumpygremlin said:

Saints uniform: pure sex.

Bears: The font looks too much like the current Broncos' font for my liking.

I thought Denver, too!! Keep current font, but this overall Bears concept is nice!! Heck, l like all three of these concepts. Probably go black numerals on the Saints road, though, nice contrast!

On 8/10/2018 at 3:43 PM, stumpygremlin said:

Saints uniform: pure sex.

Bears: The font looks too much like the current Broncos' font for my liking.

On 8/12/2018 at 2:27 PM, verno said:

I thought Denver, too!! Keep current font, but this overall Bears concept is nice!! Heck, l like all three of these concepts. Probably go black numerals on the Saints road, though, nice contrast!

I do realize that the number font is similar to the Broncos (whose numbers I am changing anyways, so it wouldn't be an issue here). I have looked for other fonts, but haven't found one I like as much for what I'm going for. 

Right now, I'm going to hold off on updating the Bears (and any other teams) until the end of the series, that way I can give myself more time to get the ideas flowing for updates without delaying the other designs or trying to rush.

2 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

You say you’re "desecrating" the NFL, but I don’t feel very offended by any of these. That Bears concept looks like something I could’ve come up with.

Desecrating isn't the perfect word for this series, I mostly used it as a statement to say that I had no intention of mailing in 5-10 designs because they're "untouchable" or "already fine" as well as avoiding just picking a throwback uniform and doing nothing else. 

However, I would argue that the vertical stripes are actually a pretty radical design despite being somewhat sedated. There have only ever been two other teams as far as I can remember to use similar stripes, Indiana and the Broncos, and the Broncos design was historically reviled. I've also never seen a similar design in concepts, especially for the Bears. While some teams will get some more wild looks, some of the more traditional teams will get smaller but substantial changes. 

I do realize that the designs so far have been pretty similar so far with current teams, but I'm easing into it a bit. One of the next few will be drastically different from the current look.

Because I took a break over the weekend, I'll be giving you guys a two-fer in a few minutes.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Alright, two teams being posted today.

First up, the Houston Texans.

YSCWdsQ.png

Houston, despite being the newest NFL franchise, has a very classic look that I really like, so I wanted to keep the general idea of a classic uniform while making the main feature a very modern element. While Nike has used the chest striping in several cases, I haven't been a huge fan of how they executed those designs. The texans are probably the team who could best pull of this type of striping. I also changed the primary from navy blue to red. Four teams in the NFL wear red and blue, but none use red as the primary color, and the Texans felt like the perfect team to make the switch, as they already have strong looking red jerseys.

Each uniform element is interchangeable and was shown here in what I would call the best overall look if each pant and jersey combination is used once. 

Team two, and the first casualty of the complete rebrand, the Kansas City Chiefs.

fqlnxi6.png

While attempting to come up with a striping pattern for the Chiefs, I ultimately came across an idea to combine the letters KC with the arrowhead imagery the team has used for years. This created the stripe, which depicts and arrow hitting its target. This design is utilized on the sleeves and the pants. From there I created an entirely updated primary logo, which updates the arrowhead design, making it sleeker and more angular, while implementing a more abstract KC. The primary logo, custom number font, and the stripe all feature a black outline and drop shadow, while the socks and collar feature a design based upon the stripe. 

The color balance of the uniforms was specifically selected to avoid bleed. Yellow is notorious for bleeding with red and white, so I increased the use of black from merely a logo outline to being a major part of the design overall. I specifically chose to not include red or white the same portions of the uniform (besides the swoosh) simply because I've always liked designs that don't include each color but still works together.

7 hours ago, ATolly66 said:

Where did you get that font for the Chiefs?

It’s actually a custom font. I designed it myself.

Thanks for the comments guys! Glad to see a positive response towards such a major change!

Next up are the Tennessee Titans

h2YzTKB.png

The Titans kinda stole my thunder with this one. I came up with this design long before the new redesign as a modernized update, so technically the sword shaped yoke was my idea! My version is a split blue/white yoke on a sky blue uniform. The stripe design continues onto the helmet and the pants. The uniform also features a custom number font featuring curves and sword inspired points on verticals of the numbers.

I also changed the logo, as the flaming thumbtack just feels a bit too 90s for my taste. I decided to make the logo a Spartan helmet with a sword behind it, similar to the design that Army uses

I love that you were able to come up with a far superior version of the sword theme than Nike. 

I like the idea of the logo but not crazy about it in practice. The helmet you've selected is more like a medieval barbuta in that it lacks the nasal guard of most Corinthian helmets. (Which were used by every Greek state, not just Sparta. Thanks for muddying the waters there Frank Miller) 

1024px-Barbute_MET_DP-12880-047.jpg

8f86f0b114450c1cd29b71cc18d1dd74.jpg

Archived