Kaz

2018-19 NBA Season

2 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

We're just pretending the whole incredibly problematic D-Rose rape trial didn't happen, eh?

Yes! Look at him shoot a basketball!! 

I'm obviously being sarcastic. It's amazing how quickly people forget about things like this, especially when it comes to athletes.

7 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

We're just pretending the whole incredibly problematic D-Rose rape trial didn't happen, eh?

Yeah. People still listen to the Beatles. And watch Roman Polanski movies. And watch Steelers games. And celebrate Mike Tyson. And Woody Allen.

I'm with you in spirit, but I don't know when you're supposed to hold people accountable for their actions and when you're supposed to live your own life.

5 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Yeah. People still listen to the Beatles. And watch Roman Polanski movies. And watch Steelers games. And celebrate Mike Tyson. And Woody Allen.

I'm with you in spirit, but I don't know when you're supposed to hold people accountable for their actions and when you're supposed to live your own life.

There's living your own life and being entertained by an entertainer, and then there's this whole big outpouring of "I'm really happy for D-Rose as a person because of everything he's been through." The former is whatever, the latter is... why are you so happy for this individual?

12 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

There's living your own life and being entertained by an entertainer, and then there's this whole big outpouring of "I'm really happy for D-Rose as a person because of everything he's been through." The former is whatever, the latter is... why are you so happy for this individual? 

The D-Rose catharsis is decidedly about his injuries and his struggles to be good at basketball again. As people think about him, they're not thinking about his rape trial. It's exactly the same thing as being entertained by an entertainer.

As I watched Derrick Rose play the game of his post-knee-blowout life, this occurred to me.  I had the luxury of not really remembering anything other than "he was accused."  It soured it for me a bit.  And now that Deadspin, et. al have re-hashed the history that I either missed or repressed, it does taint last night's events.  After all, how am I supposed to stick to my guns with my "everyone gives Kobe a pass" frustration and cheer that guy on.  So when I look back at myself cheering (and flimsily clinging to the fact that my awareness of the story was vague), I feel a bit gross.  In hindsight, I can appreciate what I saw, an aging athlete coming out and play great...but it is hard to be happy for him.

Yes, this is one way we put sports ahead of decency.  Just like everyone loving Kobe.  And the national media's preference for Penn State becoming a national power again vs. setting a precedent for other schools and cleaning up their culture.  

It is a bit tricky when you're talking about guys not convicted of anything...it's hard to say they should not play, but we're within our rights to not feel good for them.

Being a Jazz fan all I could do was applaud D-Rose's performance last night. I don't really care we lost. He was phenomenal. That was legendary. I'm happy for him. 

5 hours ago, DG_Now said:

We go on a case-by-case basis. Nobody thinks of murderer Phil Spector as a music producer anymore, while we memetically celebrate Christopher Walken. Jimmy Saville and Gary Glitter are seen as monsters, yet people have lost their distaste for Michael Jackson. We like to toss Kobe’s rape trial under the rug, but will bring up Patrick Kane’s similar issues at a moment’s notice.

Death of the Author really only applies when we personally like a work enough to ignore the artist’s misdeeds. Of course, we’re all too happy to read personal tragedies into an artists’ work (e.g., illnesses, death of a family member, recovery from a breakup, etc.). This goes into the fallacy of auteur theory, which is a topic for another day.

Michael Jackson didn't do anything wrong.

What did Christopher Walken do?

It's a lot easier to "forget" someone's crimes when the masses love that person.

It's why Kobe, Ray Lewis, R. Kelly, are all celebrated.  George Takei's #metoo moment was quickly forgotten.  And while Louis CK was being pulled from Netflix they were concurrently promoting serial woman-beater Chris Brown.

But Weinstein, Cosby, etc.?  Creepy old men are pretty disposable in the public eye, so off with their heads* lol

*and before someone draws the wrong message here, good riddance too

Derrick Rose may get off easy for failing to grasp concepts of consent because longtime Bulls observers know that Derrick Rose is legitimately as dumb as a post. 

34 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Michael Jackson didn't do anything wrong.

What did Christopher Walken do?

Ok, bad example on the Michael Jackson side. But I remember pretty much everybody swearing he was guilty right up until his death.

The Christopher Walken question is suspicions surrounding the death of Natalie Wood. I don’t really put much faith in the suspicions.

Woody Allen is weird and depraved but likely innocent of the big accusation, and Mia Farrow is just as abhorrent as he is. And that's Frank's kid.

lol it's been a month and LeBron is already trying get his coach fired, the train's never late

Next two against the Blazers and Raptors. They're looking at 3-7. 

Patrick McCaw's holdout from the Warriors might be one of the biggest errors in NBA history.

I get he wants more security, but $1.7M Warriors offer for your broken back a$$ is kinda reasonable for a 9-10 bench guy.  Take the per diem and playoff share dude.

Meanwhile, that McKinnie cat just took yo' job!

And he is who Bomani Jones calls a "Can't Go Back All-Star", cause homeboy can't go back home or back to play in those Mexican 3-on-3 games for cash.

On 11/2/2018 at 1:10 PM, DG_Now said:

Next two against the Blazers and Raptors. They're looking at 3-7. 

That's one against Portland, and Kawhi is sitting out tonight. Maybe the Lakers hit .500 after all.

Tyson Chandler is headed to LA so they have someone who will play defense. And also to continue their collection of 2011 all stars.

Serge absolutely went off tonight: 15 of 17 for 34 pts.  Somehow no blocks though

On 11/1/2018 at 2:28 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Ok, bad example on the Michael Jackson side. But I remember pretty much everybody swearing he was guilty right up until his death.

The Christopher Walken question is suspicions surrounding the death of Natalie Wood. I don’t really put much faith in the suspicions.

This is the first I've ever heard of Christopher Walken as a suspect. Natalie Wood's husband Robert Wagner has always been the one people have been suspicious of.

The Grizzlies did Grizzlies things last night. After beating Utah in Utah (twice!) they turn around and lose to the Suns.