Forgotten classic uniforms

Ark

18 minutes ago, whitedawg22 said:

I don't understand the love for these Brewers uniforms. They're almost literally as generic as a uniform can get. Even the new Jacksonville Jaguars uniforms have more personality than these. It's possible to have a classic/traditional uniform without stripping away all interesting design elements.

I can't speak for anyone else.  However, I love the color combination and I'm a sucker for vertically arched lettering.

That is probably why I also love this uniform (which is even older than me) . . .

dave-mcnally-1966.jpg00157561_H36987677.jpg

The jersey, that is.  The cap, not so much . . . 

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I can't speak for anyone else.  However, I love the color combination and I'm a sucker for vertically arched lettering.

That is probably why I also love this uniform (which is even older than me) . . .

Even that uniform at least has a unique and distinctive logo (with or without the bizarre cap striping). The 1971 Brewers uniform just uses a block M. The use of a block letter logo is fine if there are other distinctive elements to define the team's look (for instance, the current Cleveland Indians' jersey script), but that Brewers uniform doesn't have any.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

1 hour ago, Griffinmarlins said:

These are the uniforms the Penguins wore right before they switched to black and yellow. They follow the exact same template they wear now, except in double blue. They were only worn from 1977-1980. Many Penguins fans are familiar with the Winter Classic jerseys that use the original color scheme, but it seems no one remembers these uniforms at all. 

Image result for penguins 1978 Image result for penguins 1978

I dislike these immensely. Said as a Penguins fan.

2 minutes ago, whitedawg22 said:

Even that uniform at least has a unique and distinctive logo (with or without the bizarre cap striping). The 1971 Brewers uniform just uses a block M. The use of a block letter logo is fine if there are other distinctive elements to define the team's look (for instance, the current Cleveland Indians' jersey script), but that Brewers uniform doesn't have any.

Fair enough.  Maybe it's just that the blue and gold look really good together . . . at least to me.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

24 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

There's a reason they're not remembered - the terrible use of color.  Multiple blues all over, but a black/yellow-only logo?  Doesn't work.  At least the WC jerseys used so much of the other colors that the mismatched crest seemed like a relatively-minor part of the uniform.  And they were just cool.

I agree on the mismatching logo colors, I can't help but think if the Penguin's body was navy it wouldn't be as bad. I still think the double blue works well in that uniform template though. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

16 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Another one for the O's....I never knew these existed until I went to a game, and they wore them as a throwback.

e825fb3cd891cef9a2faaa318c5874df.jpg

8 hours ago, Bmac said:

@OnWis97 nailed it. Late 80's White Sox came to mind for me.

1987CHW_CHW_AL_W.gif

For the most part, I like what the White Sox wear now more (eapecially if they’d revert back to the near perfect road grays they had a few years ago), but I’ve always felt that this set is severely underrated. 

9 hours ago, Bmac said:

@OnWis97 nailed it. Late 80's White Sox came to mind for me.

1987CHW_CHW_AL_W.gif

I do kind of like them (especially when paired with sock stripes), but the overall look is fairly bland. Navy/red, basic scripts, a “C” insignia that looks more like an “e,” and no striping leaves it lacking. It’s like the Tampa Bay Lightning in a way, decent-looking but lacking originality.

I will say that I’d love it if that “White Sox” script appeared on an alternate jersey or a dugout jacket (like the Yankees’ script).

If you want a “forgotten classic” White Sox uniform, I have two:

4ca2c456c7178.image.jpg

71topps_super-23.jpg

As for the Patriots, I must argue that the 1993 Flying Elvis uniform was top-notch, if only for the pants stripe that tied into the logo:

andre_tippett_1993_09_12.jpg

Fix the TV numbers and add a red facemask (to go with the numbers), and you’d have a killer look.

17 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

In football...I really can't think of anything.

How about the 1997-2002 Atlanta Falcons? They took the "Back in Black" look of Jerry Glanville and added more red to balance it out. Most people seem to like their uniforms from their red-helmet days; while their throwback last year used the black helmet, the jersey and pants were (IIRC) from the team's expansion era. It's weird because it was wearing the 1997-2002 set that the team made its first Super Bowl appearance, with the iconic "Dirty Bird" team. You'd think more people would want to remember that. I personally think it was the best color balance they've ever had, with black, red, and silver sharing space.

3 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

How about the 1997-2002 Atlanta Falcons? They took the "Back in Black" look of Jerry Glanville and added more red to balance it out. Most people seem to like their uniforms from their red-helmet days; while their throwback last year used the black helmet, the jersey and pants were (IIRC) from the team's expansion era. It's weird because it was wearing the 1997-2002 set that the team made its first Super Bowl appearance, with the iconic "Dirty Bird" team. You'd think more people would want to remember that. I personally think it was the best color balance they've ever had, with black, red, and silver sharing space.

Good one!   I loved that one.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, DiePerske said:

tbh if the Sabres sold these, I'd buy them in an instant.

It's like finding a precious butterfly that everyone thought was extinct; I don't want such beauty to leave the world.

Another for the Saints, the Jim Mora Sr./Dome Patrol era look. 

gettyimages-52729559.jpg?w=1000

And for the Hornets Pelicans… (even though I know they couldn’t do it)

cp3.jpg

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

The 80s-90s Oilers, mentioned above, are a great example of this - a classic uniform that will probably never be a throwback because of historical events. Pretty much perfect color balance on both the home and road uniforms.

houston_oilers_w.moon_.jpg

oilers-bills-houston-celebrating-1.jpg?i

And I also agree with the commenter above about the Dan Reeves-era Falcons. The home uniform was still a little drab and overly black, but the road uniform with the red numbers was spectacular:

1998-Atlanta-Falcons-Chris-Chandler-Jama

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

32 minutes ago, whitedawg22 said:

The 80s-90s Oilers, mentioned above, are a great example of this - a classic uniform that will probably never be a throwback because of historical events. Pretty much perfect color balance on both the home and road uniforms.

houston_oilers_w.moon_.jpg

oilers-bills-houston-celebrating-1.jpg?i

I agree with this one being a classic.  However, I'm not sure it qualifies as "forgotten".  It seems to be mentioned as a favorite all the time.

Archived