Forgotten classic uniforms

Ark

On 8/12/2018 at 9:07 AM, Shumway said:

The Pirates have so many good (or so bad, it's good) throwbacks that I think these seem to get overlooked.

pittsburgh-pirates-outfielder-barry-bond

I don't know if I prefer the uniform or the super tall tongues on his cleats. Those are awesome.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I’d put the CA uniforms in this category. I always consider the angels two ways - the Wally Joyner / Naked Gun era, and current, completely overlooking the... Jim Abbot (?) era, which while not as good as the current, is a classic look that could have lasted an eternity. 

It's Enrico Palazzo!

12 hours ago, johnnysama said:

Sonics.jpg

They may have reached the 1996 NBA Finals in this ensemble, but the 1995-2001 Seattle Supersonics (RIP- come back!) set here is an underappreciated modern classic of a uniform.

Just leave the red versions out of the conversation.

a81dede1fb2c748a6be428e27ad735d2--patric

Something about Seattle teams and elevating a trim color to the predominant jersey hue just doesn’t sit well.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

12 hours ago, johnnysama said:

Sonics.jpg

They may have reached the 1996 NBA Finals in this ensemble, but the 1995-2001 Seattle Supersonics (RIP- come back!) set here is an underappreciated modern classic of a uniform.

I don't get the love for these - at all. They're about as generic and cartoonish as possible, and there's nothing appealing about the design. I appreciate good modern uniforms, but these deserve to be left in the dustbin of history.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Not to mention the last uniforms the Sonics wore were a perfect update of their awesome 80s look.

2fcb8f5d9d8fed044102885671eab108.jpg 04289a62-a7e9-4c74-9546-2d891155c8e6.jpe

(Still chaps my a** that Ray Allen was traded because George Karl couldn't do his job in Milwaukee.)

The Bruins franchise has more or less neglected a handful of classic jerseys to instead opt for fauxbacks in recent years. They brought out the black jersey Bobby Orr wore for a single season in 2006-07 and that’s about it. 

The Bruins consistently wore some version of a white jersey with yellow shoulders from 1939-1974. That look has been mothballed since.

hockey-boston-bruins-bobby-orr-in-action

The next two jerseys were updates of the previous set but with no shoulder stripes. A classic, clean set worn by both Bobby and Ray Bourque which also lasted 20 years.  

Bobby-Orr.jpg

s-cam-neely-and-raymond-bourque-of-the-b

Admittedly, what the Bruins wear today is barely a departure from their early 70s look but some of the touches from back then were nice. Mainly, I like the yellow B on the black jersey and the striping on the white jerseys.

I would like them to wear one of these three jerseys to the 2019 winter classic. A team like them shouldn’t have to use fauxbacks when teams Chicago and Toronto have no issue wearing throwbacks that are only slightly different from their regular set. 

3 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

I don't get the love for these - at all. They're about as generic and cartoonish as possible, and there's nothing appealing about the design. I appreciate good modern uniforms, but these deserve to be left in the dustbin of history.

IM not sure how these are any less generic than the classic ones.  I’m not reallly sure either could be considered generic. Cartoonish? Ok. Generic? Nah. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah from the unique color scheme to the 3D wordmark to one of the first 90's unis to do the asymmetrical thing I'm not seeing "generic" on those at all. I see a lot of 90's on those, but generic is the wrong word. Nobody else looked like those Sonics. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 hours ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

Just leave the red versions out of the conversation.

a81dede1fb2c748a6be428e27ad735d2--patric

Something about Seattle teams and elevating a trim color to the predominant jersey hue just doesn’t sit well.

Neither does Ewing in a Sonics jersey but that is for a different thread.

The inaugural Atlanta Flames jerseys had a simpler (and I think better) striping pattern than the one the carried over to Calgary. Not many people remember these, because they mostly think back to the Calgary jerseys, just with the A instead. And there will likely NEVER be a throwback to these, because of that

Related imageImage result for inaugural atlanta flames jersey

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

p1_dillon.jpg

Corey Dillon era Bengals... unless they decide to return to this set wholesale, I doubt they ever throw back to this since the team was so awful.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Bears will likely never throw back to the 1940 uniforms.  A shame, given it's use in one of football's greatest "F*** You" moments.

Osmanski_Bill1_Bears.jpg

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

15 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

p1_dillon.jpg

Corey Dillon era Bengals... unless they decide to return to this set wholesale, I doubt they ever throw back to this since the team was so awful.

Those are basically the same, other than sock color and the tiger logo on the sleeve, as the 1980s Bengals that went to two Super Bowls:

dc60a29a755f79ea0766b018b7e53672.jpg

linebackers-jim-leclair-and-bo-harris-of

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived