Sign in to follow this  
JJ Anderes

Remaking Every NHL Outdoor Uniform (7/14; Added Canadiens and Senators)

It's been a few months since my last thread, so I figured I'd start a new one. Hopefully I can keep this going for a while and maybe even finish it.

As we all know, many of the recent outdoor jerseys have drawn plenty of criticism. In this series I'm revisiting every NHL outdoor sweater to fix the problems that ruined the uniforms. I'm starting with the most recent game and working backwards all the way to the first Heritage Classic in 2003. Here we go!

SHORTCUTS

2017-18

NHL100 Classic - MTL vs. OTT

Winter Classic - NYR vs. BUF

(BELOW) Stadium Series - TOR vs. WSH

(TOR Update)

2018 STADIUM SERIES - ANNAPOLIS, MD

WASHINGTON CAPITALS

4b2dc876079c5659bfc7a039fe04f571f41cbf21

While the Capitals' uniforms weren't terrible, they could use some improvement. The "cummerbund" is no longer an issue and the white yoke is now red. I also added elements that represent the city of DC while also giving a nod to the US military.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

8bea9c141bb80b9c5073bb377f0181e4580111e3

The original uniforms were hard to look at, especially in person, as I went to the game. I got rid of the white pants and added a few things here and there that again represent the city of the team and their country's military.

C&C is welcome and appreciated.

You just went up 900 points for simply eliminating the white pants. That was like a bunch of polar bears in a snowstorm.

Fantastic. Just fantastic. As a Caps fan, I would buy that immediately.

These are both great. Definitely better than what was actually worn. My only change would be to experiment with the camo pattern between the two stripes for the Leafs. Other than that. They're perfect.

Very cool. I like them. Excited for what else you have in store

On August 8, 2018 at 8:48 PM, NoE38 said:

These are both great. Definitely better than what was actually worn. My only change would be to experiment with the camo pattern between the two stripes for the Leafs. Other than that. They're perfect.

Here you go.

6b736cbd8af821f0eb6c3202c634115424cd4fe6

2018 WINTER CLASSIC

BUFFALO SABRES

bf4f0ef6461ae72d9faf99722d2820b4f977ab37

Don't get me wrong, I am in love with the Sabres' original uniform. In my opinion this was one of the best-dressed Winter Classics so far. Rather than making minor tweaks to a near perfect jersey, I figured I would make something completely new using that awesome new buffalo logo. I'm always a fan of those rare color on color matchups, so I made the Sabres' jersey gold for this series.

NEW YORK RANGERS

8346cea76d1960a34f8ad04758803ee8f459d660

This jersey was also a hit, but it did have its issues. The shield logo crowded the front of the uniform, and the phantom shoulder striping looked out of place. Both of those issues were fixed here. I also altered the striping and the jersey crest to further separate this uniform from the design of their regular home jersey.

C&C is welcome and appreciated.

Can I buy that Sabres strip?

2017 NHL100 Classic

OTTAWA SENATORS

001cf90d61ec52179114226211f0f773e650efbd

Not too happy with what the Senators did with their original uniform. Not that it was bad, it just wasn't creative. This would've been a perfect chance to try something new for a change. Silver is also featured prominently throughout the jersey honoring both the NHL's centennial year and the history of hockey in Ottawa back in the days of the Silver Seven.

MONTREAL CANADIENS

a19b59c025ae53e2df444fce40fc472958c3e1d3

Similar things can be said about Montreal's original uniform. It wasn't ugly but it lacked creativity and looked too similar to their current road uniforms. This would've been a perfect opportunity to switch things up...why not go blue for a game? Color vs. color matchups are always fun to watch.

Not sure how well-received a blue uni for the Habs would be but it looks great. Sens are amazing as well. Good work!

The Sabres one is nice. It just has way too much of a Team Sweden vibe for me with the complete lack of white anywhere.  Likewise for the Ott/Mtl... Nice, but the lack of white makes them very color rushy.

That Senators jersey would be a fantastic starter for a new home/road set.  Make the silver on the jersey white or metallic gold, and just have the logo colored as normal and bam.  

I love it when a designer has the courage to go outside the box with the Canadiens.   That said, the silver is the only part of it that feels off.  What about a vintage white?  As to Ottawa, the silver is very interesting choice, but I like it.  it'll be hard to convey in a flat graphic design, but to me, the silver needs to feel like it's a shinier, brighter sort of silver than a flat grey.  The Sens have always felt like they should have a more opulent aspect to them, with shiny metals.  

But even as is, these are both great.