U.S. Space Force Logo Vote

slabovmeat

Long Time member here but first time creating a thread.

I felt these potential logos proposed by President Trump to be voted on were worth a discussion. How is it possible that these 6 made the cut? If you had to pick one logo, which would it be? I'm confident the members of this forum would have the ability to blow away these concepts.

MW-GO109_spacef_20180809185602_NS.jpg?uu

BP.jpg

Oh lord, these all look so hackneyed in one way or another.

Top left: Freaking confusing use of motion lines (did the rocket loop around the logo twice?)

Top middle: Probably the best one, but why use the rocket from Toy Story's Pizza Planet?

Top right: This isn't a military logo. It's a teaser logo for a Mass Effect-style video game.

Bottom left: Rocket with a drag chute/circus tent?

Bottom middle: Logo for a space summer camp for middle school students.

Bottom right: As @slabovmeat noted, some radical plagiarism of NASA's logo.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

These all look awful, and unnecessary.  (Much like the proposed agency they're representing)

The "MARS AWAITS" one bugs me the most. Is that really all this supposed agency is gonna be? A Mars mission? The only thing linking all these designs to the ground (Ba dum tss) is their visual connections to the NASA and Air Force logos, something I figured the Trump Administration would want to avoid, given that the proposed duties of the Space Force could fall under either one of those branches of the government.

Another visual issue for me is the rockets. They look like they're straight out of either Pintrest or the Jetsons. All crappy, outdated, and generic representations of rockets, none of which would realistically make it to Mars as the 3rd logo proposes.

NASA mission patches may not be the best designed things ever, but they're better than this bs. At least they actually represent the spacecraft in their missions, or a very well stylized version of them.

None of these are good designs.  But, they're all a lot better than the MAGA hats, which look like they were embroidered at a shopping mall kiosk.  And, as long as the designs tap into the same nostalgia/child-like appeal that the name "SPACE FORCE" has, the Trump campaign will make a mint off of "Space Force"-branded merch. 

1 hour ago, keynote said:

None of these are good designs.  But, they're all a lot better than the MAGA hats, which look like they were embroidered at a shopping mall kiosk.  And, as long as the designs tap into the same nostalgia/child-like appeal that the name "SPACE FORCE" has, the Trump campaign will make a mint off of "Space Force"-branded merch. 

This.

Every one of the six has zero continuity to the look of other five preceding military branches. It as if nobody looked at the service marks or emblems of the others.

37 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

This.

Every one of the six has zero continuity to the look of other five preceding military branches. It as if nobody looked at the service marks or emblems of the others.

Like that matters.  This is a revenue grab.  MAGA hats sold despite spending zero effort on the design.  A shirt or cap with one of these logos will sell like *hotcakes*. 

On a related note:  a few folks have apparently rushed to the USPTO to file "intent-to-use" applications to register "SPACE FORCE" as a trademark.  I'd be surprised if any of them succeed.  

7 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

The "MARS AWAITS" one bugs me the most. Is that really all this supposed agency is gonna be? A Mars mission? The only thing linking all these designs to the ground (Ba dum tss) is their visual connections to the NASA and Air Force logos, something I figured the Trump Administration would want to avoid, given that the proposed duties of the Space Force could fall under either one of those branches of the government.

That bugs me, as well. NASA is and should remain a civilian agency for peaceful space exploration. The Space Force would be a branch of the military... the Space Force isn't going to Mars any time in the next 200 years.

I like the bottom left the most, because it looks the least like NASA.

On 8/10/2018 at 11:54 AM, MJWalker45 said:

These remind me of logos I'd see entering Space Mountain rides.

Star Wars should sue them because they own the trademark to Force (probably). 

8 hours ago, C-Squared said:

My first reaction to these logos was that they were very heavy-handedly designed to evoke that vintage 50's/60's "space man of the future!" feel that caters to the baby boomer generation that loves Trump, which feels inherently propagand-y.

Military and propaganda go together like peanut butter and je... actually, they go together like peanut butter and peanut butter.

Archived