USL Division III

Pharos04

Since the USL is working on creating their Division 3 League, and some identities have already been shown with new teams coming, figured a thread for them would be beneficial.

Toronto FC II is moving down from the USL

South Georgia Tormenta FC is moving up from the PDL

FC Tucson is also moving up from the PDL

Teams in Chattanooga TN, Greenville SC, and Madison WI have also been announced.

Supposedly Orlando City B will be part of this as well.

Along with all that, Greenville has announced their identity, Greenville Triumph SC

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/2018/08/09/greenville-pro-soccer-looks-triumph-over-competition/933357002/

https://www.usld3.com/news_article/show/940280

30bec2b6-d4e1-4448-bd96-993b1d9f9e0d-Tri

On 8/10/2018 at 7:27 PM, mcrosby said:

Madison has trimmed it down to 2 names, the final to be revealed on 8/15. 

Forward Madison FC

AFC Madison

I've got a feeling we'll see another surprise from Wilt and neither will be chosen. 

I dunno.  Maybe they’ll go off-script with the colors. 

I rather hope they chose “Forward Madison FC”.  I like it. 

13 hours ago, NicDB said:

I really wish Madison would have gone with a Wisconsin-based identity and marketed themselves statewide seeing how they now represent the highest level of soccer being played in the state.

I think it's a bit unlikely that any D3 club will make a serious marketing push state-wide.  It's just too much.

If you're talking about something like "Wisconsin _____ FC", then I'm not sure I can agree.  I really dislike state identities when there is the possibility of another club in the state, and I think Milwaukee is only a matter of time at this point.  And anyway, "Forward" is a tip of the hat to the state.  They're also considering a state-based color scheme using the dark blue from the state flag or red-and-white from the university.

14 hours ago, NicDB said:

I really wish Madison would have gone with a Wisconsin-based identity and marketed themselves statewide seeing how they now represent the highest level of soccer being played in the state.

Calling anything "Wisconsin" in Madison would clearly cause mixed signals....probably best to avoid.

Considering that the Badgers are by far the most visible "Wisconsin" identified team, I don't see why that should be an issue.  Frankly, I'm more disappointed that neither the Timber Rattlers nor the Herd identify themselves as part of the Fox Cities.

Also, I really think having different Wisconsin branded clubs playing at different levels (A Milwaukee team in the USL, Madison at D3, and a D4 club in Green Bay/Fox Valley) could really work, and resemble a true academy system.

I'm a little confused by your response.  I think I'm missing something.

5 hours ago, NicDB said:

Considering that the Badgers are by far the most visible "Wisconsin" identified team, I don't see why that should be an issue.  Frankly, I'm more disappointed that neither the Timber Rattlers nor the Herd identify themselves as part of the Fox Cities.

So you were looking for a more Wisconsin-based identity for Madison's USLD3 club, but don't like the Wisconsin-based identities that currently in baseball and basketball?

5 hours ago, NicDB said:

Also, I really think having different Wisconsin branded clubs playing at different levels (A Milwaukee team in the USL, Madison at D3, and a D4 club in Green Bay/Fox Valley) could really work, and resemble a true academy system.

Are you talking about a whole bunch of "Wisconsin FC" clubs in various leagues all over the state?  Or a series of related clubs with some common branding elements but local identities?  I would love to see a real academy system around the state, linking the Madison club to a possible Milwaukee club and lower-division clubs in cities like Eau Claire, Kenosha or Racine.

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I'm a little confused by your response.  I think I'm missing something.

So you were looking for a more Wisconsin-based identity for Madison's USLD3 club, but don't like the Wisconsin-based identities that currently in baseball and basketball?

Are you talking about a whole bunch of "Wisconsin FC" clubs in various leagues all over the state?  Or a series of related clubs with some common branding elements but local identities?  I would love to see a real academy system around the state, linking the Madison club to a possible Milwaukee club and lower-division clubs in cities like Eau Claire, Kenosha or Racine.

Nope.  Not missing anything at all... you got both of those correct. :)

Unfortunately, I doubt that will happen now and think it's more likely that Milwaukee and Madison will end up in direct competition with each other.  Which could still be good for soccer in the state.  Just not what I would have preferred.

Archived