2018 High School Football

4_tattoos

This was a fun thread last year, so I figured I'd get the ball rolling for the new season.

Post here for all things high school football related. Previews, highlights, players to watch, trash talk, etc.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have any states started camps yet?

I think most of DC area leagues start up next  week.

Maryland public schools' season usually kickoffs the week of Labor Day.

California's CIF-SS opened camps on July 30. Teams are playing scrimmages this week. "Week 0" as it's known (it's the first week you can play games, and most do) is next week.

The high school sports schedule here was all moved up by a week or two. To avoid having football and baseball playoffs run so late into their respective years.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Monday was the first day of organized practice for teams in the St. Louis Metro Area. 

Also, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch is counting down the top 30 prospects in the STL area. Here's 30-26:

#30: Brady Weeks, OL

Ft. Zumwalt West Jaguars (Missouri, Class 6, Gateway Athletic)

Verbal: Minnesota

#29: Sam LaPorta, WR

Highland Bulldogs (Illinois, Class 4, Mississippi Valley)

Offers: Central Michigan, Illinois State, Northern Iowa, Western Illinois, Lindenwood, SIU Carbondale, Eastern Michigan, & Yale

#28: Keith Jones, CB

Cardinal Ritter Lions (Missouri, Class 2, Archdiocesan)

Verbal: Western Michigan

#27: Bryan Bradford, RB

CBC Cadets (Missouri, Class 6, Metro Catholic)

Offers: Ball State, Eastern Kentucky, Eastern Michigan, Kent State, South Dakota, & Western Michigan

#26: Marquise Simmons, OL

De Smet Spartans (Missouri, Class 6, Metro Catholic)

Offers: Iowa State, Kansas, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, New Mexico, Syracuse, Tennessee-Martin, & Texas State 

Note: Missouri has classes 1-5 while Illinois has classes 1A-8A

OB2sFI1.png

Well last season my alma mater (Crossland HS in Temple Hills, MD) finished the season 2-8. Four of their losses were by 8 points or less, so they were competitive for the most part. They just couldn't finish their opponents off in those close games. With all that said, I haven't really followed up with the team during the offseason, so I'm not hip to how many returning players they have.

When it comes to Maryland (public) high school football the juggernaut is Henry A. Wise. They've won the last four 4A State Championships. This team is from my home county which I generally support. However, they've become one of those super dominant programs that you find yourself rooting against.

Not much changed in Washington... everybody is still where they were a year ago.

Oregon is where most of the change has happened. Last season, Rainier and Clatskanie were in the Lewis and Clark League. Well, realignment happened over the off season and the two schools joined up with Taft, Warrenton and Willamina to form the Coastal Range League. That's for other sports... for football, the two schools are in a giant 12 team district alongside two of their conference mates (Taft and Willamina. Warrenton is in 2A for football despite being a 3A school) and even two 4A schools (Corbett and Madras) are in this district. Everyone still plays 9 games though.

On 8/10/2018 at 6:56 PM, neo_prankster said:

Are there any talks of schools merging their teams to field a big enough roster?

This is a common problem is the rural areas of Pennsylvania where co-ops are allowed.

Just recently, Youngsville shuttered their team to co-op with neighboring, and much larger, Warren. Sheffield, in the same school district as Youngsville and Warren, was talked about having a co-op with Warren as well, but luckily that didn't happen this season as enough players came out. Also, Sheffield already had a co-op with Abraxas, which usually gives them about 10 players a year as well.

Also, in District 9, recently Union and Allegheny-Clarion Valley co-oped to form Union/ACV. And the one that probably started it all, was Ridgway and Johnsonburg, two arch rivals just a few miles apart, co-oped together several years ago. Sticking with D9, Clarion and Clarion-Limestone have discussed a co-op for football. But the big stalemate is team identity. Clarion plays at Clarion University's Memorial Stadium, while in a co-op, CL would want to play at their home high school stadium. Nothing came through this year but given population trends its bound to happen eventually to keep football unless 8-man becomes an option.

In states without co-ops, Ohio just saw Millersport, a small D7 school sit out the 2018 season due to lack of numbers.

Oregon and Washington start this week while Iowa has already started. If a team plays in Week 0, then the first day of practice was on July 30th with the first week of play being this weekend. If a team plays in Week 1, the first day of practice was on the 6th and the first games are on the following weekend.

Like in Oregon, Iowa did some realignment and Denison got placed in a different district with more northern schools like Sioux City Heelan, LeMars, Spencer, Storm Lake and Sergeant Bluff-Luton.

New Jersey took a big step towards public schools playing for a state championship; now there are ten "bowl games" that would be the equivalent of a state semifinal, but no finals.

(Non-public schools play for actual state championships, although officially the trophy is the blue of a sectional title and not the gold of a state title.

LvZYtbZ.png

17 hours ago, willmorris said:

Also, since we do association football here too (and I work for my old high school's team), our league started a mini conference tournament; hopefully my beloved Hermits will be there.

St. Augustine Prep?

Archived