2018 High School Football

4_tattoos

40 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://massillontigers.com/2018/07/12/tigers-to-unveil-new-scoreboard-and-features-in-2018/

Leave it to Massillon to start the scoreboard wars in high school. 

Last year, Katy (TX) opened $70M Legacy Stadium with a 25x60' video board.

http://thekatynews.com/2017/08/18/katy-isd-opens-its-new-legacy-stadium/

If ready, in McKinney, TX, they'll open their new stadium but the video board won't be as big. I say "if ready" because they have cracked concrete issues just like their Collin County neighbor, Allen ISD had with their $50M stadium in 2014.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Massillon likes to tell people how big of a school they are, yet they've never won a state championship on the field. 

6 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Last year, Katy (TX) opened $70M Legacy Stadium with a 25x60' video board.

http://thekatynews.com/2017/08/18/katy-isd-opens-its-new-legacy-stadium/

If ready, in McKinney, TX, they'll open their new stadium but the video board won't be as big. I say "if ready" because they have cracked concrete issues just like their Collin County neighbor, Allen ISD had with their $50M stadium in 2014.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

52 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://massillontigers.com/2018/07/12/tigers-to-unveil-new-scoreboard-and-features-in-2018/

Leave it to Massillon to start the scoreboard wars in high school. 

Hell, I'd be happy with electronic team message centers! (We have a Daktronics on our football field; I'd love to see it get upgraded with penalty clocks but that costs money I don't have.)

LvZYtbZ.png

In my neck of the woods, Kelso is getting a brand new turf field installed in time for the season. It's a necessary evil since part of the state rules require turf fields to be used for playoff games.

On 8/17/2018 at 5:45 PM, Seadragon76 said:

In my neck of the woods, Kelso is getting a brand new turf field installed in time for the season. It's a necessary evil since part of the state rules require turf fields to be used for playoff games.

I don't think it's an official rule in Ohio but they do state a preference to them. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Turf fields are pretty much necessary at high schools these days. In Maryland grass fields used to be worn out by the first week of October due to football, soccer, and field hockey all being fall sports. Once you factor in boys and girls team, varsity and JV teams (even freshman teams in some districts) a single field would get a lot use. Not to mention marching bands practicing on them as well.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

50 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Weird how it has changed for the season starting. When I was in high school(2004-07), it mirrored the NFL season start it seemed. Now its 3 weeks earlier. 

The NFL starts later too. They used to start Labor Day weekend.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

40 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Georgia's #1 ranked Class 7A team (#2 in USA Today's Southeast 25), sat out practice last week in protest regarding conditions.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/local-hs-football-team-stages-walkout-protesting-practice-conditions/814910678

And because of how NJ's playoffs work, I actually have to keep track of this team. They play a team in our playoff bracket and their results actually matter.

LvZYtbZ.png

Football kicks off tonight here in Michigan and there are some big games.

Grand Rapids West Catholic (Grand Rapids, Michigan) the 5 time defending D5 State Champions take on Jackson Lumen Cristi (Jackson, Michigan) who are back to back D6 State Champions.

Muskegon Big Reds (Muskegon, Michigan) the defending D3 State Champions take on Warren De La Salle (Warren, Michigan) the defending D2 State Champions.

Muskegon has a massive offensive line including Anthony Bradford a 6-5 , 360lb Tackle who is committed to LSU. They also have a brand new transfer QB in Cameron Martinez who has multiple D1 offers and already has a State Championship with a different school.

East Kentwood (Kentwood, Michigan) vs Mona Shores (Muskegon, Michigan) 

East Kentwood has a boat load of massive lineman with D1 offers including Logan Brown a Wisconsin commit he's 6-7, 305 lbs and they have Mazi Smith a Michigan commit 6-3, 310 lbs. East Kentwood is a power house in Track & Field so I expect them to have some speedy skill players as well. Mona Shores has been pretty tough the last few years though so it should be a pretty good game.

Zeeland West (Zeeland, Michigan) vs Northland (Columbus, Ohio) 

Zeeland West has been around since 2005 and they don't really churn out D1 prospects but they do churn out State Titles as they 4 since the program began in 05. They run the Full House Power T offense (Wing T is what we call it here in Michigan) so I'm not sure if thats something Northland sees a whole lot down in Ohio so it should be an interesting game. All I know about Northland is that they have a Michigan commit at WR.

Zeeland East (Zeeland, Michigan) vs East Grand Rapids (East Grand Rapids, Michigan)

Zeeland East has a 6-7, 260 lb DE committed to MSU and they have a bunch of kids returning to a team that went 9-1 last year and East Grand Rapids is a perennial powerhouse who went 9-1 last year as well so it should be a good matchup.

Letsgoblue.png

holland_hs_sig.pngHollandMichiganPNG_zps9365937b.png

On 8/21/2018 at 6:00 PM, dfwabel said:

Georgia's #1 ranked Class 7A team (#2 in USA Today's Southeast 25), sat out practice last week in protest regarding conditions.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/local-hs-football-team-stages-walkout-protesting-practice-conditions/814910678

The headline make it sounds worse than it really is, the head coach just needed to tone down the intensity of the practices. H.S. Coaches across the country have already reduced the number of full contact practices.

7 hours ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

The headline make it sounds worse than it really is, the head coach just needed to tone down the intensity of the practices. H.S. Coaches across the country have already reduced the number of full contact practices.

It shouldn’t take the team sitting out to make it happen. At that point they coach lost the team and shows how the players were indeed experiencing worse conditions that required such actions.

9 hours ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

How about you not derail a second football-related thread with your agenda pushing?

Archived