2018 High School Football

4_tattoos

Sounds interesting...to my knowledge, this isn't done in Wisconsin either, with the exception of the state championship games at Camp Randall.  The relative bevy of D3 stadiums here could probably do something similar, though.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What essentially amounts to a High School National Championship Game will be played on Friday.

Mater Dei of Santa Ana, CA (No. 3 by MaxPreps and USA Today) hosts IMG Academy of Bradenton, FL (No. 1 by MaxPreps and USA Today) on Friday, 7 p.m. at the Santa Ana Bowl. Game will be aired on Fox Sports Prime Ticket in SoCal.

No matter who wins, this shapes the national title conversation for the rest of the season, because No. 2 between both IMG and Mater Dei is Mater Dei's Trinity League rival St. John Bosco of Bellflower, CA. Mater Dei and Bosco will play at least one time in league (10/12 at Mater Dei) and probably a second time in the CIF-SS Division 1 title game.

The game is also interesting because this will be the last time IMG plays a team from California. CIF put in a new bylaw before the season that does not allow California teams to schedule games against teams that are excluded from their own state's playoffs like IMG Academy in Florida or Oak Hill Academy in Virginia.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Im kinda mad, out school managed to get the #1 Running back in the state.

And they were supposed to play him for trick plays last night.

Insult to injury we lost to our school rival. 

WSna22D.gif

YKBcuDz.png
I am the guy who loves Wisconsin

And now my old school has fallen to 1-5, so our streaks continue: we haven't had a winning season since 93, and haven't made the playoffs since 97.  Adding insult to injury, loss #5 came at the hands of one of our rivals...who will be playoff bound with win #5.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Well my alma mater won earlier today 30-20 vs KIPP (a charter school from DC), and are now 2-2 this season. They won 2 games total last year and have several winnable games remaining on the schedule. Next week will be a tough one as the play crosstown rival and playoff regulars Potomac on the road.

SN: Maryland's 4A juggernaut of the last 4 years Henry A. Wise actually lost a game this season.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

My alma mater lost 27-12 today against Potomac. Record now 2-3.

SN: The JV game on Thursday ended in a 6-6 tie. More than likely due to it getting dark. Most high school fields in my home county don't have lights. In addition to that, rain in the region would have made it get darker faster than a normal day.

On 9/28/2018 at 5:03 PM, dfwabel said:

This isn't just an East Texas tradition. My high school did the same. The difference was we just threw the other team's jersey into the bonfire instead of an effigy of their best player.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

My alma mater won big today. 42-8 against Richard Wright out of DC. They are now 3-3 surpassing their win total from last season. Next week they play Central HS who is currently winless.

This week's nationally televised games.

• Archer vs Grayson (both from GA) Thursday night at 7:00pm EST on ESPN2
  • Good Counsel (MD) vs St. John's College (DC) Friday night at 7:00pm on ESPN

My alma mater won 34-0 against Central HS yesterday to improve to 4-3. Seven games in and they're in the 2A playoff conversation. Fingers are crossed.

On Friday, we had a lightning storm roll through Orange County, CA that postponed nearly the entire slate of games. Every coach I talked to said this was the first time in most of their coaching careers it had ever happened to them, especially with those that had only coached in SoCal. We rarely get any weather to speak of, and if you do, you play through rain. The only thing they could think of was occasionally fires would cancel a game or two, or the week of 9/11. It was very strange as most of the games then moved to Saturday morning/afternoon.

One game that was affected was USA Today No. 1 and reigning national champion Mater Dei of Santa Ana hosting No. 2 St. John Bosco of Bellflower. Maybe it was because the game was delayed to Saturday night, maybe Mater Dei was unfocused, but whatever it was, the Monarchs were not sharp at all, but Bosco was extremely sharp in a 41-18 thrashing.

So for this week's national poll, Mater Dei and Bosco flipped spots, with Bosco at No. 1. If things hold true (and most expect them to even with a hard charge from No. 21 JSerra of San Juan Capistrano against MD this week, or again in the playoffs, or from No. 9 Corona Centennial or No. 13 Oaks Christian against either in the playoffs), these two will get another shot at each other in the CIF-Southern Section Division 1 title game.

Best high school football in the country is down this way.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Welp, my alma mater won another one. Beat Surrattsville 42-0 to improve to 5-3. HUGE game next week against 7-1 Fairmont Heights. My school is currently in 5th place of their region, on the outside of the playoff picture (top 4 teams go to playoffs). A win over Fairmont would go a long way as far as getting them into the playoffs. Fingers crossed.

On 10/16/2018 at 12:37 AM, Still MIGHTY said:

On Friday, we had a lightning storm roll through Orange County, CA that postponed nearly the entire slate of games. Every coach I talked to said this was the first time in most of their coaching careers it had ever happened to them, especially with those that had only coached in SoCal. We rarely get any weather to speak of, and if you do, you play through rain. The only thing they could think of was occasionally fires would cancel a game or two, or the week of 9/11. It was very strange as most of the games then moved to Saturday morning/afternoon.

One game that was affected was USA Today No. 1 and reigning national champion Mater Dei of Santa Ana hosting No. 2 St. John Bosco of Bellflower. Maybe it was because the game was delayed to Saturday night, maybe Mater Dei was unfocused, but whatever it was, the Monarchs were not sharp at all, but Bosco was extremely sharp in a 41-18 thrashing.

So for this week's national poll, Mater Dei and Bosco flipped spots, with Bosco at No. 1. If things hold true (and most expect them to even with a hard charge from No. 21 JSerra of San Juan Capistrano against MD this week, or again in the playoffs, or from No. 9 Corona Centennial or No. 13 Oaks Christian against either in the playoffs), these two will get another shot at each other in the CIF-Southern Section Division 1 title game.

Best high school football in the country is down this way.

Should be one hell of a Division I playoffs in the Southern Section this year but it usually is. I'll admit SoCal always has it over NorCal when it comes to good teams & talent. NorCal has some decent teams but it's always De La Salle & then everyone else. They haven't lost to another NorCal team since 1991. Looks to be Bosco or MD vs. De La Salle in the Division I state title game. 

Archived