2018 High School Football

4_tattoos

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Oregon, Rainier took down rival Clatskanie 18-7 on Friday night to advance. The Columbians now face Vale next Saturday in Hermiston in a semifinal game.

Over here in Washington, 2B started play over the weekend. Yesterday saw both Toledo and Kalama win while Whakiakum fell to Tri-Cities Prep in overtime. Toledo faces Tri-Cities Prep in quarterfinals next weekend while Kalama hosts Northwest Christian (Colbert).

In 1B, Naselle rolled in it's qualifying game and will be in the field for the 1B quarterfinals. They're the 3rd seed and will host 6th seed Lyle/Whisram in the quarterfinals next weekend.

Second round matchups for Maryland (Regional Finals)

https://mpssaa.countysportszone.com/?bracket=1071

• 4A WEST: #1 Quince Orhcard vs #3 Nortwest
  • 4A SOUTH: #1 Henry A. Wise vs #2 C.H. Flowers
  • 4A NORTH: #1 Paint Branch vs #3 Mervo
  • 4A EAST: #4 South River vs #2 North Point

https://mpssaa.countysportszone.com/?bracket=1070

• 3A WEST: #1 Linganore vs #3 Westminster
  • 3A SOUTH: #4 Northern vs #3 Huntingtown
  • 3A NORTH: #1 Dundalk vs #3 Franklin
  • 3A EAST: #1 J.M. Bennett vs #2 Chesapeake

https://mpssaa.countysportszone.com/?bracket=1069

• 2A WEST: #1 Damascus vs #3 Oakdale
  • 2A SOUTH: #1 Glenelg vs #3 River Hill
  • 2A NORTH: #1 Eastern Tech vs #3 New Town
  • 2A EAST: #1 North Caroline vs #3 Elkton

https://mpssaa.countysportszone.com/?bracket=1089

• 1A WEST: #1 Fort Hill vs #2 Catoctin
  • 1A SOUTH: #1 Fairmont Heights vs #3 Frederick Douglass
  • 1A NORTH: #1 Dunbar vs #3 Reginald F. Lewis
  • 1A EAST: #1 Havre de Grace vs #3 Perryville

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Live from Dairyland...the state championship games are set, here's who's going to Camp Randall...

Division 1: #2 Kimberly vs. #1 Muskego...the Warriors felled fellow 1 seed Marquette 24-21 to punch their ticket to Madison, while the Papermakers took 1 seed Fond du Lac to OT and won 22-21.  Not sure who I'll pull for, as while I have no feelings for or against Kimberly, I remember making an ass of myself in a game at Muskego like it was yesterday (blatantly yanking an already downed runner's facemask would definitely qualify as a braindead move.  I was braindead that day.)

Div 2: #1 Homestead vs #1 Brookfield Central...the Highlanders won a 12-7 defensive struggle over Marshfield, while BC beat Waunaukee 20-13.  If any of you are ever in Mequon, the place that looks like a movie high school is Homestead.  I can't remember whether it was in Mequon or somewhere else, but I had a pretty good poached egg up there once.

Div 3: #1 West De Pere vs #1 Catholic Memorial...WDP easily handled Rice Lake with a 35-14 win, while Catholic Memorial handed New Berlin Eisenhower a 41-14 beatdown en route to Madison.  No weird personal anecdotes this time around.

Div 4: #1 St. Croix Central vs #1 Racine St. Catherine's...Central beat Little Chute 48-25, while St. Cat's had a tougher go, edging past Lakeside Lutheran 30-28.  Oddly enough, despite living here my whole life, the only connection I really have to St. Cat's is a cousin who played football and basketball for em in the late 90s...and who'd transferred to my school partway through his senior year and featured on our basketball team when they won state...and who I was completely unaware I was even related to until his brother came up from Chicago to attend his graduation.

Div 5: #1 St. Mary's Springs vs #2 Stratford...if Springs is as good as they were last year, I think they'll be repeating as state champs.  Their defeat of fellow 1 seed Lake Country Lutheran 41-12 would probably confirm this.  Stratford, meanwhile, pulled off a 22-6 upset over 1 seed Spencer/Columbus Catholic.

Div 6: #1 Iola-Scandinavia vs #3 Racine Lutheran...Iola-Scandinavia survived a scare against 2 seed Grantsburg, edging them 27-25.  The Crusaders faced off against fellow 3 seed Lancaster, taking them out to the tune of 55-28.  Kinda confirms what I'd long suspected of Lutheran being smaller than St. Cat's

Div 7: #1 Edgar vs #1 Black Hawk...Black Hawk beat Bangor 24-6, while Edgar routed 3 seed Reedsville 41-0 to get to Madison.  Knowing nothing about Edgar, I'd wonder how they'll handle Black Hawk's option attack.

And to round things out, Wisconsin held its first ever 8-man playoffs, with Sevastopol and Luck being the last schools standing.  Unlike the 11-man title games, this was NOT held at Camp Randall, but in little Stanley.  In any event, Sevastopol won 36-30 to claim the first 8-man golden ball.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

In California's CIF-Southern Section Division 1, the top four seeds have all advanced to the semifinals.

No. 1 St. John Bosco (No. 1 USA Today) plays at No. 4 Oaks Christian (No. 13 USA Today)

No. 2 Mater Dei (No. 2 USA Today) hosts No. 3 Corona Centennial (No. 7 USA Today)

So, again, the mythical national title goes through the CIF-SS playoffs.

I got a chance to watch Bosco on Friday in their quarterfinal at San Clemente (Sam Darnold High), and, man. Look they're the real deal. But I think something needs to be done in the playoff structure. As much of a "thrill" as it is for a school like San Clemente to host a team of the caliber of Bosco, those two teams should never have been on the same field with each other. The difference between the top three/four teams and everybody else in Division 1 is staggering. It's not a fair playing field.

Bosco/Mater Dei/Centennial were pegged as the No. 1/2/3 in CIF-SS back in the summer, and lo and behold, they're the 1/2/3 seeds come the playoffs and they all make their way to the semifinals. With the way the Divisions are set up now (this "power point" system where teams are slotted in division's based on yearly results, league championships, playoff wins), Bosco and Mater Dei (Centennial has a shot, but it'll take everything they've got) are going to win the Division 1 championship in perpetuity. Teams like San Clemente can win Division 2 titles (2016) that cap their greatest run of success, then get to Division 1 and never have anything to show for it. (Although, I'd say beating Mission Viejo for the first time since 1999 to win their first league title since then and winning a one whole single Division 1 game is quite an accomplishment this season.)

I don't know if the solution is a private-public split or what, but with the current points set up, besides the teams at the very top, teams are punished for success. It's the question of would you rather win a Division 2 title every so often, or would you rather lose in Division 1 every single year?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

In PA's crazy format, the District 7 FInals (for four of six classes) are set for this Saturday at Heinz Field.

1A: OLSH v. Rochester

3A: Aliquippa v. Derry Area

4A: Thomas Jefferson v. South Fayette

6A: Pine-Richland v. Seneca Valley

Yes, the Trojans hail from Derry Area High School. Aliquippa are in their 11th straight trip to Heinz Field. OLSH is making their first trip. Upsetting perennial contender Clairton while Jeannette, defending state champions, were upset 27-0 by Rochester. TJ and South Fayette are regular state contenders. And Pine-Richland won easily last week, while favorite North Allegheny was upset by visiting Seneca Valley.

The 2A and 5A Semifinals are this weekend.

2A: South Side v. Charleroi (@ Canonsburg)

2A: Freedom v. Steel Valley (@ Montour HS)

5A: Peters Twp v. Penn Hills (@ Norwin HS)

5A: Gateway v. West Allegheny (@ West Mifflin)

Elsewhere:

1A; Farrell v. Shade (@ Somerset)

1A: Smethport v. Coudersport (@ Bradford)

2A: Wilmington v. Chestnut Ridge (@ Slippery Rock University)

2A: Ridgway/Johnsonburg v. Brockway (@ DuBois)

3A: District 10 Final: Grove City v. Sharon (@ Slippery Rock University)

3A: Ligonier Valley v. Richland (@ Altoona)

4A: Erie Cathedral Prep v. Clearfield (@ Clarion University)

5A; State College v. Delaware Valley (@ Hazleton)

That's it for most of the west. The state finals aren't until the second weekend of December. So, still lots of games remaining.

In Ohio, things are much more orderly. Ohio's state association handles everything.

Division I – Games at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16
1 Mentor (11-1) vs. 7 Lakewood St. Edward (8-3) at Euclid Community Field
4 Powell Olentangy Liberty (8-4) vs. 2 Dublin Coffman (11-1) at New Albany Veterans Field at Eagle Stadium
1 Hilliard Davidson (11-1) vs. 6 Pickerington Central (10-2) at Gahanna Lincoln Wilbur C. Strait Field
1 Cin. Colerain (12-0) vs. 3 Cin. Elder (8-4) at Mason Dwire Field, Atrium Stadium

Division II – Games at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16
1 Akron Archbishop Hoban (12-0) vs. 2 Maple Hts. (12-0) at Twinsburg Tiger Stadium
1 Tol. Central Cath. (12-0) vs. 3 Avon (11-1) at Clyde Robert J. Bishop Jr. Stadium
1 Massillon Washington (12-0) vs. 3 Wadsworth (12-0) at North Canton Hoover Memorial Stadium
1 Cin. Winton Woods (11-1) vs. 7 Cin. Anderson (9-3) at Lakota West Firebird Field

Division III – Games at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16
1 Canfield (11-1) vs. 2 Chagrin Falls Kenston (11-1) at Warren G. Harding Mollenkopf Stadium
4 Norwalk (9-3) vs. 6 Sandusky (8-4) at First National Bank Field at Bellevue Athletic Facility
4 Cols. Eastmoor Academy (11-1) vs. 6 Thornville Sheridan (11-1) at Lancaster Fulton Field
1 Kettering Archbishop Alter (11-1) vs. 2 Wapakoneta (11-1) at Piqua Alexander Stadium

Division IV – Games at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 17
5 Girard (11-1) vs. 3 Hubbard (11-1) at Niles McKinley Bo Rein Stadium
1 Bellville Clear Fork (12-0) vs. 2 St. Marys Memorial (11-1) at Bellefontaine AcuSport Stadium
1 St. Clairsville (12-0) vs. 7 Newark Licking Valley (9-3) at Zanesville Sulsberger Stadium
1 Cin. Wyoming (12-0) vs. 6 London (11-1) at Centerville Stadium

Division V – Games at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 17
1 Orrville (10-2) vs. 2 Akr. Manchester (9-3) at Canal Fulton Northwest Dr. Martin Smilek Stadium, Jim Schalmo Field
1 Genoa Area (12-0) vs. 2 Liberty Center (11-1) at Millbury Lake Community Stadium
1 Johnstown-Monroe (11-1) vs. 3 Byesville Meadowbrook (9-3) at Zanesville Maysville Athletic Complex
1 Wheelersburg (11-1) vs. 2 Middletown Madison (12-0) at Hilliard Darby Stadium

Division VI – Games at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16
1 Mogadore (11-1) vs. 2 Kirtland (12-0) at Aurora Veterans Stadium
1 Attica Seneca East (11-1) vs. 7 Sherwood Fairview (9-3) at Findlay Donnell Stadium
4 Shadyside (10-2) vs. 2 Beverly Ft. Frye (11-0) at Byesville Meadowbrook Eugene Capers Field
1 Coldwater (10-2) vs. 3 Maria Stein Marion Local (11-1) at Sidney Memorial Stadium

Division VII – Games at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 17
1 Cuyahoga Heights (10-2) vs. 7 Warren John F. Kennedy (7-5) at Macedonia Nordonia Boliantz Stadium
5 McComb (11-1) vs. 2 Edgerton (12-0) at Defiance Fred Brown Athletic Complex
1 Lucas (10-2) vs. 3 Glouster Trimble (11-1) at Hamilton Township Alumni Stadium
1 Fort Loramie (11-1) vs. 2 Convoy Crestview (11-1) at Lima Spartan Stadium

And another state's playoffs nearby is New York. The NYSPHSAA has some private schools, but the Buffalo and NYC area teams aren't members. Also, the Long Island schools are members, but participate in their own Long Island Championships and not the state playoffs. Also, NYC's PSAL run their own tournament among NYC's public schools.

Class AA
Aquinas v. Cicero-North Syracuse
New Rochelle v. Shaker

Class A
West Seneca East v. Indian River
Cornwall v. Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake

Class B
Batavia v. Skaneateles
Marlboro v. Glens Falls

Class C
Cleveland Hill v. Susquehanna Valley
Dobbs Ferry v. Ogdensburg

Class D
Clymer/Sherman/Panama v. Tioga
Haldane v. Moriah

New York plays their playoffs in blocks of games mostly at one site for each region or section. The semifinals are held at two sites. Western Semifinals are at Union-Endicott High School. Eastern games are at Middletown High School. Two games on Friday and Three games on Saturday. Basically playing the same classes at the same time at the two sites. Championships are the next weekend at Syracuse's Carrier Dome. Three games on Black Friday and 2 games on Saturday.

Interesting note, is Clymer/Sherman/Panama is a Section 6 co-op of the three small schools in the far southwest corner of the state. Clymer is just a couple miles north of Pennsylvania. This year was their first Section Final appearance and championship since they co-opped together. Originally Clymer and Sherman had formed a co-op, but Panama had joined it three years ago. Although, this year in Class D, there were only FOUR teams in Section 6. Randolph and Frewsburg had formed a co-op the previous year and are Class C. Also, Chautauqua Lake/Westfield is a Class C co-op. AND, over the past few years, rivals Franklinville and Ellicottville formed a co-op, which made them Class C. So, this year it was only CSP, Maple Grove, Salamanca and Cattaraugus-Little Valley. CSP won 35-7 over Maple Grove at New Era Field two weeks ago. Maple Grove were state runner-ups last year in Class D.

@Still MIGHTY A public/private split might work, or it might fall flat.  I know we used to have this type of split in Wisconsin.  At least in Racine, the public schools rarely, if ever, played against the private schools in football.  And honestly, it's been 20 years and this is still the case, in spite of the proximity.  It's probably different in other towns though.

2016cubscreamsig.png

1 hour ago, Discrimihater said:

@Still MIGHTY A public/private split might work, or it might fall flat.  I know we used to have this type of split in Wisconsin.  At least in Racine, the public schools rarely, if ever, played against the private schools in football.  And honestly, it's been 20 years and this is still the case, in spite of the proximity.  It's probably different in other towns though.

Texas does the split. Surprisingly, the public schools make more money. So some private school is always trying to move from TAPPS to UIL. 

On 11/12/2018 at 10:33 PM, Sykotyk said:

In PA's crazy format, the District 7 FInals (for four of six classes) are set for this Saturday at Heinz Field.

1A: OLSH v. Rochester

3A: Aliquippa v. Derry Area

4A: Thomas Jefferson v. South Fayette

6A: Pine-Richland v. Seneca Valley

Yes, the Trojans hail from Derry Area High School. Aliquippa are in their 11th straight trip to Heinz Field. OLSH is making their first trip. Upsetting perennial contender Clairton while Jeannette, defending state champions, were upset 27-0 by Rochester. TJ and South Fayette are regular state contenders. And Pine-Richland won easily last week, while favorite North Allegheny was upset by visiting Seneca Valley.

The 2A and 5A Semifinals are this weekend.

2A: South Side v. Charleroi (@ Canonsburg)

2A: Freedom v. Steel Valley (@ Montour HS)

5A: Peters Twp v. Penn Hills (@ Norwin HS)

5A: Gateway v. West Allegheny (@ West Mifflin)

Elsewhere:

1A; Farrell v. Shade (@ Somerset)

1A: Smethport v. Coudersport (@ Bradford)

2A: Wilmington v. Chestnut Ridge (@ Slippery Rock University)

2A: Ridgway/Johnsonburg v. Brockway (@ DuBois)

3A: District 10 Final: Grove City v. Sharon (@ Slippery Rock University)

3A: Ligonier Valley v. Richland (@ Altoona)

4A: Erie Cathedral Prep v. Clearfield (@ Clarion University)

5A; State College v. Delaware Valley (@ Hazleton)

That's it for most of the west. The state finals aren't until the second weekend of December. So, still lots of games remaining.

In Ohio, things are much more orderly. Ohio's state association handles everything.

Division I – Games at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16
1 Mentor (11-1) vs. 7 Lakewood St. Edward (8-3) at Euclid Community Field
4 Powell Olentangy Liberty (8-4) vs. 2 Dublin Coffman (11-1) at New Albany Veterans Field at Eagle Stadium
1 Hilliard Davidson (11-1) vs. 6 Pickerington Central (10-2) at Gahanna Lincoln Wilbur C. Strait Field
1 Cin. Colerain (12-0) vs. 3 Cin. Elder (8-4) at Mason Dwire Field, Atrium Stadium

Division II – Games at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16
1 Akron Archbishop Hoban (12-0) vs. 2 Maple Hts. (12-0) at Twinsburg Tiger Stadium
1 Tol. Central Cath. (12-0) vs. 3 Avon (11-1) at Clyde Robert J. Bishop Jr. Stadium
1 Massillon Washington (12-0) vs. 3 Wadsworth (12-0) at North Canton Hoover Memorial Stadium
1 Cin. Winton Woods (11-1) vs. 7 Cin. Anderson (9-3) at Lakota West Firebird Field

Division III – Games at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16
1 Canfield (11-1) vs. 2 Chagrin Falls Kenston (11-1) at Warren G. Harding Mollenkopf Stadium
4 Norwalk (9-3) vs. 6 Sandusky (8-4) at First National Bank Field at Bellevue Athletic Facility
4 Cols. Eastmoor Academy (11-1) vs. 6 Thornville Sheridan (11-1) at Lancaster Fulton Field
1 Kettering Archbishop Alter (11-1) vs. 2 Wapakoneta (11-1) at Piqua Alexander Stadium

Division IV – Games at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 17
5 Girard (11-1) vs. 3 Hubbard (11-1) at Niles McKinley Bo Rein Stadium
1 Bellville Clear Fork (12-0) vs. 2 St. Marys Memorial (11-1) at Bellefontaine AcuSport Stadium
1 St. Clairsville (12-0) vs. 7 Newark Licking Valley (9-3) at Zanesville Sulsberger Stadium
1 Cin. Wyoming (12-0) vs. 6 London (11-1) at Centerville Stadium

Division V – Games at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 17
1 Orrville (10-2) vs. 2 Akr. Manchester (9-3) at Canal Fulton Northwest Dr. Martin Smilek Stadium, Jim Schalmo Field
1 Genoa Area (12-0) vs. 2 Liberty Center (11-1) at Millbury Lake Community Stadium
1 Johnstown-Monroe (11-1) vs. 3 Byesville Meadowbrook (9-3) at Zanesville Maysville Athletic Complex
1 Wheelersburg (11-1) vs. 2 Middletown Madison (12-0) at Hilliard Darby Stadium

Division VI – Games at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16
1 Mogadore (11-1) vs. 2 Kirtland (12-0) at Aurora Veterans Stadium
1 Attica Seneca East (11-1) vs. 7 Sherwood Fairview (9-3) at Findlay Donnell Stadium
4 Shadyside (10-2) vs. 2 Beverly Ft. Frye (11-0) at Byesville Meadowbrook Eugene Capers Field
1 Coldwater (10-2) vs. 3 Maria Stein Marion Local (11-1) at Sidney Memorial Stadium

Division VII – Games at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 17
1 Cuyahoga Heights (10-2) vs. 7 Warren John F. Kennedy (7-5) at Macedonia Nordonia Boliantz Stadium
5 McComb (11-1) vs. 2 Edgerton (12-0) at Defiance Fred Brown Athletic Complex
1 Lucas (10-2) vs. 3 Glouster Trimble (11-1) at Hamilton Township Alumni Stadium
1 Fort Loramie (11-1) vs. 2 Convoy Crestview (11-1) at Lima Spartan Stadium

I haven't followed Ohio as well as I did last year, mainly because my high school was crap. I'm surprised not to see Steubenville still in it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The Camp Fire in Butte County, CA forced a week long postponnment of both CIFs Central Coast Section and North Coast Section games from last week to this week.

With air quality becoming worse, they're trying to play the games as south as possible. Chico and south is currently the worst air quality on the planet.

https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2018/11/15/ccs-football-cross-country-moved-to-the-salinas-valley

So 5 out of 7 games have been played, and they're doing some cleanup before the D2 game.  So far, these schools have each jubilantly hoisted a golden ball:

Div. 7: Black Hawk 22, Edgar 15

Div. 6: Iola-Scandinavia 43, Racine Lutheran 14

Div. 5: St. Mary's Springs 20, Stratford 17

Div. 4: St. Cat's 8, St. Croix Central 7...the Angels scored very late in the 4th and went for two to win state

Div. 3: Catholic Memorial 37, West De Pere 24

2016cubscreamsig.png

19 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Texas does the split. Surprisingly, the public schools make more money. So some private school is always trying to move from TAPPS to UIL. 

I haven't followed Ohio as well as I did last year, mainly because my high school was crap. I'm surprised not to see Steubenville still in it. 

Upset by Hubbard in Boardman. Hubbard plays Girard now, which is a big game in the Youngstown area.

As for PA, other than the four District 7 semifinals and ONE District 6 game, the western slate has been entirely moved from Friday to Saturday. Possibly even later due to snow and ice and the issues with snow removal at several venues because of the freezing rain that fell first.

Texas Playoffs started yesterday. Converse Judson is the BMOC in CenTex and they're expected to make the state semi's at a minimum. These are all the local games. The 11 a side teams are broken up ove six divisions. There aren't may six amn schools in our area, they're mostly in the west closer to Van Horn, Texas.

Thursday, Nov. 15

Georgetown 21, Seguin 6 FINAL

Wagner 59, Harlandale 7 FINAL

Southwest 49, Brackenridge 27 FINAL

Harlan 33, Sam Houston 14 FINAL

Cuero 66, Pearsall 12 FINAL

CC London 27, Stockdale 14 FINAL

Falls City 75, Agua Dulce 12 FINAL

Blanco 28, Schulenburg 0 FINAL

Shiner 76, Santa Maria 0 FINAL

Wallis Brazos 45, Three Rivers 21 FINAL

Gonzales 35, Kingsville Kings 15 FINAL

Friday, Nov. 16

Holy Cross vs Houston Lutheran South, 7 p.m., Harlandale Memorial Stadium

Lyford vs Cole, 7 p.m., Harlingen

Smithson Valley at Austin Lake Travis, 7:30 p.m., Cavalier Stadium

Madison vs Warren, 7:30 p.m., Heroes Stadium

Judson vs Buda Hays, 7:30 p.m., Rutledge Stadium

O'Connor vs Reagan, 7:30 p.m., Farris Stadium

Clemens at Austin Westlake, 7:30 p.m., Chaparral Stadium

Johnson Vs Brennan, 7:30 p.m., Comalander Stadium

Steele vs Austin Bowie, 7:30 p.m., Lehnhoff Stadium

Brandeis vs Churchill, 7:30 p.m., Gustafson Stadium

Leander Glenn vs Medina Valley, 7:30 p.m., Leander

Kerrville Tivy vs Bastrop, 7:30 p.m., Antler Stadium

Southside VS Mercedes, 7:30 p.m., Southside ISD Stadium

Alamo Heights vs Georgetown, 7:30 p.m., Orem Stadium

Brenham vs Boerne Champion, 7:30 p.m., Brenham

Zapata vs Boerne, 7:30 p.m., Shirley Field, Laredo

Needville vs Canyon Lake, 7:30 p.m., Cuero

Hondo vs Llano, 7:30 p.m., Alamo Stadium

Crystal City vs Wimberley, 7:30 p.m., South San Stadium

Navarro vs Devine, 7:30 p.m., Floresville

Marion Vs Aransas Pass, 7:30 p.m., Falls City

George West vs Randolph, 7:30 p.m., Jourdanton

Poth vs Santa Rosa, 7:30 p.m., Mathis

Odem vs Dilley, 7:30 p.m., Freer

Saturday, Nov. 17

Jourdanton vs San Diego, 2 p.m., CC Flour Bluff

Veterans Memorial vs Laredo Martin, 6 p.m., Rutledge Stadium

Mission Sharyland vs Somerset, 6 p.m., Mission

La Vernia vs La Grulla, 6 p.m., Sinton

Goliad vs Hitchcock, 6 p.m., El Campo

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

And high school football season is officially over in the Badger State.

Div. 2: Homestead blew the effort outta Brookfield Central, winning 51-14.

Div. 1: Muskego and Kimberly had a much closer showing, with Muskego winning state 24-21.

2016cubscreamsig.png

In Oregon, Rainier took care of business and defeated Vale over in Hermiston yesterday. With the win, the Columbians are playing for the state championship next weekend against Cascade Christian out at Cottage Grove. They upset Amity in the other semifinal.

In Washington, all the remaining local teams won. Naselle won their first ever 1B state game with a 68-38 victory over Lyle/Wishram. The reward? A date with 2nd seeded Almira-Coulee-Hartline. They dropped 100 points on Crescent yesterday.

In 2B, Toledo upset Tri-Cities Prep in Pasco while Kalama had no issues with Northwest Christian (Colbert). The two teams will now meet each other in the semifinals with the other semifinal being Napavine and Adna. Yep, it's an all Southwest District final four. Winners play for the state championship on the following weekend in Tacoma.

Waiting for the MPSSAA to release the state semifinal matchups. The region winners are reseeded for the semis. I have an idea who will play who (and where), but not 100% sure.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Ohio State Semifinals are this weekend:

Division I – Games at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 23

Powell Olentangy Liberty (9-4) vs. No. 9 Lakewood St. Edward (9-3) at Mansfield Arlin Stadium

No. 8 Pickerington Central (11-2) vs. No. 1 Colerain (13-0) at Piqua Alexander Stadium

Division II – Games at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 23

No. 6 Winton Woods (12-1) vs. No. 3 Massillon Washington (13-0) at Gahanna Lincoln Wilbur C. Strait Field

No. 1 Akron Archbishop Hoban (13-0) vs. No. 8 Avon (12-1) at Brunswick Auto Mart Stadium

Division III – Games at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 23

No. 1 Kettering Archbishop Alter (12-1) vs. Norwalk (10-3) at Wapakoneta Harmon Field

No. 7 Columbus. Eastmoor Academy (12-1) vs. No. 4 Chagrin Falls Kenston (12-1) at New Philadelphia Woody Hayes Quaker Stadium

Division IV – Games at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 24

No. 5 St. Mary's Memorial (12-1) vs. No. 1 Wyoming (13-0) at Piqua Alexander Stadium

Girard (12-1) vs. Newark Licking Valley (10-3) at Dover Crater Stadium

Division V – Games at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 24

No. 8 Liberty Center (12-1) vs. Orrville (11-2) at Sandusky Perkins Firelands Regional Medical Center Stadium

No. 4 Johnstown-Monroe (12-1) vs. No. 3 Wheelersburg (12-1) at Jackson Holzer Field at Alumni Stadium

Division VI – Games at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 23

Beverly Fort Frye (12-0) vs. No. 1 Kirtland (13-0) at Massillon Jackson Robert Fife Stadium

Attica Seneca East (12-1) vs. No. 3 Maria Stein Marion Local (12-1) at Lima Spartan Stadium

Division VII – Games at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 24

4 Fort Loramie (12-1) vs. 6 McComb (12-1) at Wapakoneta Harmon Field

Cuyahoga Heights (11-2) vs. Glouster Trimble (12-1) at Sparta Highland Fishburn Family Field at Covrett Stadium

Pennsylvania Quarterfinals are this upcoming weekend, but games and schedules aren't necessarily set. A lot of games were pushed back to Sunday this past weekend in the middle of the state due to ice making field clearing nearly impossible or impractical. Including, two games moved to Monday in District 9.

After finding nowhere to play them, the District 9 Class 1A and Class 2A championships are being played Monday night as a doubleheader at Karns City. So, at least those two quarterfinal rounds won't be announced any time soon.

Class 1A
OLSH -- BYE
Farrell v. Smethport/Coudersport winner
Lackawanna Trail v. Halifax
Juniata Valley v. United

Class 2A
South Side v. Steel Valley (D7 Championship)
Wilmington v. Ridgway/Brockway winner
Richland v. Philadelphia West Catholic
Southern Columbia v. York Catholic

Class 3A
Aliquippa -- BYE
Sharon v. Bald Eagle
Middletown v. Conwell-Egan
Scranton Prep v. Montoursville

Class 4A
Erie Cathedral Prep v. South Fayette
Harrisburg Bishop McDevitt v. Berks Catholic
Imhotep Charter v. Valley View
Bethlehem Catholic v. Pottsgrove

Class 5A
West Allegheny v. Penn Hills (D7 Championship)
Hollidaysburg v. Archbishop Wood
West Chester Ruslin v. Upper Dublin
Manheim Central v. Cocalico

Class 6A
State College v. Pine-Richland
St. Joe's Prep v. Bethlehem Freedom
North Penn v. Coatesville (D1 Championship)
Harrisburg -- BYE

The way the PIAA is broken into 12 districts makes the playoffs a bit 'odd'. For the most part, the state playoffs have started, but a few districts are still wrapping things up. It also makes the traditional 'east/west' split much more difficult to work when some districts (such as District 1 in 6A) force western teams to play far eastern teams and just avoid the larger district that still hasn't finished their playoffs. It also creates the ability for byes late in the playoffs.

An issue they have to figure out in the next reclassification because the current structure is unruly.

In New York, the state finals are held at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse.

Friday, November 23
12pm D - Moriah v. Clymer/Sherman/Panama
3pm A - West Seneca East v. Cornwall Central
6pm C - Dobbs Ferry v. Susquehanna Valley

Saturday, November 24th

12pm B - Glens Falls v. Batavia
3pm AA - New Rochelle v. Rochester Aquinas

Also, the NYSPHSAA has sections, similar to California or PA's Districts. Sections 8 and 11 make up Long Island are though members of NYSPHSAA, they conduct their own playoffs and name Long Island Champions. In four Divisions. They play this weekend as well at SUNY-Stony Brook

Friday, November 23
12pm D2 - Lindenhurst v. Garden City
430pm D4 - Cold Spring Harbor v. Shoreham-Wading RIver

Saturday, November 24
12pm D1 - Mastic Beach Floyd v. Freeport
430pm D3 - Massapequa Plainedge v. Half Hollow Hills West

In addition to that, you have the Catholic State Championship. In recent years, the Monsignor Martin Athletic Association, which comprises the Buffalo area private schools, have conducted a cross-state championship game with the winner of the large school New York Catholic High School Football League (also just the CHSFL). This year, it's between MMAA champion St. Francis and CHSFL champion Archbishop Stepinac.

Saturday, November 24
1pm - St. Francis v. Archbishop Stepinac

In additional ALL of that, the Public School Athletic League, which comprises the NYC public schools, is holding their semifinals this weekend in three levels: Championship, Bowl, and Cup.

New Jersey does the public/private split for the playoffs, but they do (at least in the south) play each other in the regular season.

With State College still alive, my alma mater (who went 7-4) can say that all four teams that beat them are still in the playoffs.

• State College is in the 6A quarterfinals in PA.
  • St. Joseph (Hammonton) is in the Non-Public Group II final on November 30.
  • St. Joseph (Montvale) is in the Non-Public Group IV final on November 24.
  • Williamstown, the South Group V champion, plays Sayreville, the Central Group V champion, on November 23.

Note that public schools in NJ do not play for state championships; only non-public schools do.

LvZYtbZ.png

In a shocking upset that absolutely nobody predicted...

No. 1 St. John Bosco will take on No. 2 Mater Dei in the CIF-Southern Section Division 1 title (and essentially national title) game on Friday at Cerritos College. Bosco clobbered fourth-seeded Oaks Christian, 56-10, and Mater Dei beat third-seeded Corona Centennial, 48-14, with its first four TDs on four pick-sixes, first three by one kid. Bosco beat Mater Dei, 41-18, in their regular-season league game that was delayed a day by lightning.

It's the third consecutive year the two will play for the section title. St. John Bosco has made the championship game in six straight seasons.

Although I guess that doesn't really hold a candle to NorCal, where Concord De La Salle is on its way to winning its 27th straight top-division title in the CIF-North Coast Section. (Those playoffs have been highly delayed by the fires. De La Salle played its semifinal on Nov. 9, the other semifinal isn't being played until this Friday Nov. 24. So the Final presumably wouldn't take place until Nov. 30, three weeks between games for De La Salle. As such, the California state playoffs have been pushed back a week.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) Football State Championship pairings are set. The games will be played at Gillette Stadium on Friday, November 30th (Divisions 2 and 4) and Saturday, December 1st (Divisions 1, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8).

Division 1 - 8:00 PM on 12/1/18
St. John's Preparatory School Eagles (9-1) vs. Catholic Memorial School Knights (8-2)
Prior to the Division 1 championship, St. John's will play their traditional Thanksgiving Eve rivalry game versus the Xaverian Brothers High School Hawks (7-2), while Catholic Memorial will face the Boston College High School Eagles (3-6).

Division 2 - 7:30 PM on 11/30/18
North Andover High School Scarlet Knights (10-0) vs. King Philip Regional High School Warriors (8-2)
Prior to the Division 2 championship, North Andover will meet the Andover High School Golden Warriors (3-6) on Thanksgiving Day, while King Philip will take on the Franklin High School Panthers (7-3).

Division 3 - 6:00 PM on 12/1/18
Central High School (Springfield) Golden Eagles (10-1) vs. Tewksbury Memorial High School Redmen (10-1)

Prior to the Division 3 championship, Tewksbury will square off with the Wilmington High School Wildcats (3-8 ) in their traditional Thanksgiving clash. Central High School has no game scheduled for Thanksgiving Day.

Division 4 - 5:00 PM on 11/30/18
Nashoba Regional High School 
Chieftains (10-1) vs. Dighton-Rehoboth Regional High School Falcons (8-2)
Prior to the Division 4 championship, Nashoba will face the Clinton High School Gaels (4-7) on Thanksgiving Day, while Dighton-Rehoboth will play the Seekonk High School Warriors (4-6). 

Division 5 - 1:30 PM on 12/1/18
Scituate High School Sailors (10-1) vs. Nipmuc Regional High School Warriors (10-1)

Prior to the Division 5 championship, Scituate will meet the Hingham High School Harbormen (7-2) in their Thansgiving Day tussle, while Nipmuc will take on the Blackstone Valley Regional Vocational Technical High School Beavers (10-1).

Division 6 - 3:30 PM on 12/1/18
Stoneham High School Spartans (11-0) vs. Old Rochester Regional High School Bulldogs (10-0)
Prior to the Division 6 championship, Stoneham will square off with the Reading Memorial High School Rockets (8-2) in their Thanksgiving Day game, while Old Rochester Regional will face the Apponequet Regional High School Lakers (4-7).

Division 7 - 11:00 AM on 12/1/18
Blackstone Valley Regional Vocational Technical High School Beavers (10-1) vs. St. Mary's High School Spartans (8-3)
Prior to the Division 7 championship, Blackstone Valley will take on the Nipmuc Regional High School Warriors (10-1) on Thanksgiving, while St. Mary's will meet the Bishop Fenwick High School Crusaders (8-2).

Division 8 - 9:00 AM on 12/1/18
St. Bernard's Central Catholic High School Bernardians (10-1) vs. Pope John XXIII High School Tigers (11-0)

Prior to the Division 8 championship, St. Bernard's will play the North Middlesex Regional High School Patriots (2-8) in a Thanksgiving Eve clash, while Pope John XXIII will square off with the Matignon High School/Saint Joseph Preparatory High School co-op football team (4-4).           

Maryland State Semifinals

4A

https://mpssaa.countysportszone.com/?bracket=1071

• Mervo at North Point
  • Henry A. Wise at Quince Orchard

3A

https://mpssaa.countysportszone.com/?bracket=1070

• Chesapeake at Linganore
  • Huntingtown at Franklin

2A

https://mpssaa.countysportszone.com/?bracket=1069

• New Town at Glenelg