When Baseball Teams Wear the Same Colour

When Baseball Teams Wear the Same Colour

August 12, 2018 - 19:44 PM

Well, one of us is going to have to change… Less than 48 hours after their glorious throwback to the colourful 1979 season, the Houston Astros and Seattle Mariners did a complete 180 for Sunday’s series finale. The visiting Mariners […]

Read More...

The Astros don't have orange helmets in the regular rotation. The last couple of times they've worn throwbacks at home with orange helmets, those helmets immediately get auctioned off/sold in the Astros Authentics store at MMP.

I wish they had an orange helmet to wear with the blue jerseys because I believe the helmet should be an extension of the cap. Whatever cap you're wearing in the field, the helmet should look the same. The Astros have been cheap like that forever, going back to not having a red helmet when they had red caps. The Astros also did not have blue helmets with orange bills when they wore the blue/orange caps on the road (which they've apparently phased out, much to my chagrin).

Royal blue/midnight blue is not functionally the same color. If that's a problem, so is every white vs. grey in the history of baseball. In the Angels/Twins game pictured above, yeah, one team should be sent back to the clubhouse to change shirts.

EDIT: and the Angels/Rangers game also pictured above

FAKE EDIT: maybe the Angels should never wear alternates at all

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In my perfect world, playoff elimination games for either team must be home vs away. If a team’s primary home Jersey is colored, so be it, but to see 2 alts in (what I would consider) one of the best ballgames of my lifetime, an instant classic, just feels absolutely cruel. The cubs pinstripes are iconic. The Indians have a very nice white uniform. It hurt me to see that game. 

Also if a team can bring all all the player equipment to a regular season game, surely they can bring another uniform. But come on, you really had to wear a matching color? Or the home team can’t do a one off normal look? Jersey matchups should be predetermined a few days in advance to allow this problem to not exist. And no, cap color or pants color isn’t enough. Navy v royal is ok, but not a fave of mine. White vs grey is the best imo. And I’m only 20, I’m no traditionalist

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Archived