Ad Placements on Other Major Sporting Leagues Survey (NFL, MLB, and NHL)

TheRealPepman

To mods: please place this in the correct section if this is not supposed to be a thread for the "Sports Logos" section:

Anyway, I have a feeling that ad placements on uniforms will be the norm in the future, with the NBA and MLS doing their thing on it.  I don't like it, but it's what's happening right now. Textbook capitalism at its best. If it was up to me, it should be placed at the back

Now I thought - what if I ask you guys as to which part of the jersey do you think the other big North American major sports leagues should place their teams' sponsors on?

nYHYuak.jpg

Let's start with the NFL? Pick your choice.

A - Upper left portion of jersey (wordmark moved from middle to upper right portion)

> If there's no wordmark on the jersey, then place sponsor on the upper middle portion

B - Middle portion of helmet

> unique case: Steelers

C -  Lower middle portion of jersey

D - Other (suggest where)

E - None

J7BGouE.jpg

MLB

A - Upper left portion of jersey (works even with logo on right side of jersey only)

B - Other (suggest where)

C - None

TQMfkoF.jpg

NHL

A - Upper left portion of jersey

B - Lower middle portion of jersey

C - Helmet in place of team logos

D - Other (suggest where)

E - None

I'd love to know what you guys think...

Above the NOB, but obv they want they logo on the front. In that case, helmet bumper? Right below the shield (replacing team wordmarks)? Either of those would be pretty non-intrusive since we’re used to things there anyway. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

NFL: A. But I’d never want them in the center of the uni.

MLB: suggesting on the arm like the postseason patch in the pics. I’d want commemorative patches to be where option A is

NHL: c. Keep it off the jersey if possible. I like it on the helmet

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

None.

You probably shouldn't have given the option of "no ads" because most of your audience here is against it.  The results of your survey will look like a Russian election:  99% for no adds with a smattering of votes for the optional ad placements.

None if it was possible, but for the sake of it:

A (NFL) - In theory it works the best, but teams with a patch there (Jets, Jags, etc.) will have to either do away with the patch or use opposite side for it.

B (MLB) - Move to sleeve where there is no patch.

A (NHL) - See NFL reasoning. 

I'll be bold here: I don't mind jersey ads, so long as they don't draw attention away from the jersey itself. Excellent examples include the Lakers' Wish patch, the Hornets' LendingTree patch, and even the Bucks' Harley-Davidson patch. It works surprisingly well. If the logos are recolored to look like they belong, then it's not a problem. Poor examples of this include every soccer jersey with an ad front and center. While I understand that it maximizes profit, it looks awful. Often they will get in the way of the kit's design, and while there are exceptions, as always, it makes it seem like the sponsor should be what you're paying attention too, not the team and its own design. (This also happens in the WNBA, but those templated jerseys are already a lost cause.)

That having been said, A, B, C. Given that the NBA already does the patches on the top right of the jersey, the NFL could work it with no problems. For the MLB, I'd rather they put it on the sleeve, but the top right could work, so long as there's not a patch already there. Finally, for the NHL, I'd say that the helmet works the best, even though I'd prefer the top right, where the captain patch is.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived