Canucks Bringing Back the Flying Skate Uniforms in 2020

32 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I like Johnny as a cartoon, and he could be a great logo with a little care, but yes, being too similar to your business competitors is typically a bad thing when it comes to branding. Especially when the competitor they would be emulating has five of those coveted silver bowls.

It would be a different story had they stuck with Johnny, but they left the door open and it’s pretty safe to say that Pittsburgh owns the campy, skating mascot going forward. Johnny would make Vancouver look like a follower and reinforce the “little brother” attitude. 

No offence, but this comes off as absurd. 

The similarities are there, but I’ve never once heard someone claim Johnny Canuck is derivative of the skating penguin. The differences far outweigh the similarities. 

And the similarities aren’t the drawback you seem to think it is.

They need a confident, unique identity and they need to stick with it.

They have it. Johnny Canuck. 

Your arguments against it as a logo come off as you making excuses for a poorly-constructed branding strategy. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mo4s55icd2yfae5f644c.png9xft5e6hg85yq5m3j81s.gif

These as your respective primary and secondary (I fixed some inconsistencies in the primary once, haven't bothered digging it back up) seem like the way to go to me: Johnny Canuck without the flaws of the full-bodied skating lumberjack logo, V + Canuck = Vancouver Canucks, and I like that simple interlocking VC as a shoulder logo, which kind of recalls the stick-in-rink without being such a stupid logo.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The similarities are there, but I’ve never once heard someone claim Johnny Canuck is derivative of the skating penguin. The differences far outweigh the similarities. 

Your arguments against it as a logo come off as you making excuses for a poorly-constructed branding strategy. 

I mean, one of their main rivals uses a "C" as their logo.

Their current is as bad in that sense if you wanna go the route that it rips off the Penguins.

Here's what the Canucks need to do for the 50th anniversary and onward:

1a. Original Stick In Rink uniforms w/white V's on the sleeves as the primary set with a few upgrades, especially on the blues. Add the skating Johnny Canuck as a shoulder patch - left-skating JC on the left shoulder, right-skating JC on the right shoulder.

1b. Skating Johnny Canuck in or without a roundel on the current template. Change font back to block style. Put original SIR on shoulders. Add green trim to font and collar.

2a. Johnny Canuck as a regular alternate green jersey by taking an updated blue jersey and reversing the green and blue. Stick In Rink on the shoulders.

2b. Blue classic Stick In Rink with original template and white V's on arms. Skating JC on the shoulders.

3. '94 black Skate jersey as a regular throwback 2-3 games per season. Add recoloured Stick In Rink(left) and Johnny Canuck(right) as shoulder patches - good way to merge the brands under the Canuck brand umbrella.

There. Done. All the popular and would-be-popular jerseys in one complete set.

Look at how clean and crisp this is. Pure elegance. Simple and effective. Do a blue one and be done with it. No shoulder patches. Don't even bother.

Image result for canucks 40th anniversary jersey

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

4 hours ago, Bayne said:

Look at how clean and crisp this is. Pure elegance. Simple and effective. Do a blue one and be done with it. No shoulder patches. Don't even bother.

Image result for canucks 40th anniversary jersey

That is one beautiful uniform. However, there is only one shoulder patch that is needed on this set and it should've been added from Day One: Johnny Canuck. Left-skating JC on the left shoulder and right-skating JC on the right shoulder. When visiting the likes of MSG, Boston or Philadelphia and opposing fans abruptly ask, "What the puck is a Canuck??!", all I have to do is proudly point to the shoulder patches. ?

21 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

If anything, the skating penguin is derivative of Johnny Canuck, but when you’re talking trademarks and branding, you have to use it or you lose it. It’s now been 50 years since they wore that logo on the front of their jerseys

It’s not absurd at all if you separate “Does it look good?” from “Is it the best plan?” because they’re different questions and sometimes have different answers. A well-executed identity can certainly be weighed down if it makes a team look like it’s trying to emulate a successful competitor. It happened with Tampa Bay, Dallas, Florida, etc. Again, Johnny would make a great logo and could be the star of a nice identity, but this will always be the biggest weakness of that approach:

1125-pit17ss-crest.png?format=750w

go-canucks-go-johnny-canuck_f.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

26 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

If anything, the skating penguin is derivative of Johnny Canuck, but when you’re talking trademarks and branding, you have to use it or you lose it. It’s now been 50 years since they wore that logo on the front of their jerseys

It’s not absurd at all if you separate “Does it look good?” from “Is it the best plan?” because they’re different questions and sometimes have different answers. A well-executed identity can certainly be weighed down if it makes a team look like it’s trying to emulate a successful competitor. It happened with Tampa Bay, Dallas, Florida, etc. Again, Johnny would make a great logo and could be the star of a nice identity, but this will always be the biggest weakness of that approach:

1125-pit17ss-crest.png?format=750w

go-canucks-go-johnny-canuck_f.jpg

Again, I’m really not seeing it. The Canucks’ ongoing identity problem has been a topic of discussion here since before I got here, and while people have mentioned the similarities between Johnny Canuck and the skating penguin? It’s always been in the context of making them more alike. 

IE “the skating penguin works because of the triangle, maybe Johnny Canuck needs a similar framing device?”

Not once have I ever heard “if the Canucks go with Johnny Canuck then they’ll look like they’re imitating the Penguins!” 

The whole argument strikes me as absurd. The sort of argument that teams like the Chargers and Padres roll out when they, for whatever reason, refuse to go with the obvious best option available. 

The problem with asserting that “does this look good?” is Actually Bad compared to “is this the best plan?” is that it leads you to...well where the Canucks and Padres are now; in a sort of limbo where the best solution is sitting unused due to a misguided branding strategy.  

20 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Again, I’m really not seeing it. The Canucks’ ongoing identity problem has been a topic of discussion here since before I got here, and while people have mentioned the similarities between Johnny Canuck and the skating penguin? It’s always been in the context of making them more alike. 

IE “the skating penguin works because of the triangle, maybe Johnny Canuck needs a similar framing device?”

Not once have I ever heard “if the Canucks go with Johnny Canuck then they’ll look like they’re imitating the Penguins!” 

The whole argument strikes me as absurd. The sort of argument that teams like the Chargers and Padres roll out when they, for whatever reason, refuse to go with the obvious best option available. 

The problem with asserting that “does this look good?” is Actually Bad compared to “is this the best plan?” is that it leads you to...well where the Canucks and Padres are now; in a sort of limbo where the best solution is sitting unused due to a misguided branding strategy.  

Aren’t the Chargers’ and Padres’ best potential assets light blue and brown, respectively? Two elements that would make them completely unique from all the other teams in their leagues? Which is... my point? ?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 8/17/2018 at 12:33 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

I don't get all the criticism of the Skate logo. I know it's busy but if you look at it and compare it to the likes of Oilers and original Jets(team name workmark) and the Flyers and Blues(streaking lines), there are similarities. The colours are bold and blend very nicely together and it represents the speed of hockey.

The problem with the Skate is that it's not the original Canucks crest and it was inspired by lame sports psychology.

If you look at any social media posts introducing the throwbacks, you see tons of "I never realized it was a skate" replies. Even as I kid I thought it was some sort of planet before noticing the skate. Plus it isn't even a hockey skate. Looks more like a speed skate.

cascade-speedskates.jpg?fit=1200,800&ssl

On 8/18/2018 at 3:17 AM, Ice_Cap said:

The fact that it's a C. Maybe it's just personal preference, but I prefer monogram logos to reference the team's locale and not nickname (here's your regular reminder that the Montreal Canadiens are, officially, simply "le Club de hockey Canadien").

The C just irks me because of that. It's made worse when you compare it to Vancouver hockey history though. The Millionaires, both the V sleeve stripes and Flying V of the Canucks, hell even the VooDoo of Roller Hockey International- they all make use of the letter V. And why wouldn't they? It's a great shape for a logo. If you're a Vancouver-based team and you want a monogram? The V is perfect.

The C, preferences for locale monograms aside, just looks out of place in the tradition of Vancouver hockey logos. That and it's awkward. The way the "water" portion bends to form the bottom of the C really doesn't work with the orca portion of the logo. Looks too forced.

Especially since you have the Flames & Blue Jackets, plus the Blackhawks shoulder patch that are all C-based. Not to mention how many other pro sports teams use a C as a logo (Bears, Cavs, Cubs, Reds, etc.). A V is definitely more unique.

33 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Aren’t the Chargers’ and Padres’ best potential assets light blue and brown, respectively? Two elements that would make them completely unique from all the other teams in their leagues? Which is... my point? ?

:rolleyes:

No one’s going to go “wow the Canucks are totally ripping off the Penguins” if they adopt Johnny Canuck as their primary.

That’s my point. 

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

If you look at any social media posts introducing the throwbacks, you see tons of "I never realized it was a skate" replies. Even as I kid I thought it was some sort of planet before noticing the skate. Plus it isn't even a hockey skate. Looks more like a speed skate.

cascade-speedskates.jpg?fit=1200,800&ssl

This has nothing to do with the Canucks (aside from color scheme, I suppose!), but speaking of cleverly-crafted "skate" logos...one of my all-time favorites:

florida_generic_slider.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

That is one beautiful uniform. However, there is only one shoulder patch that is needed on this set and it should've been added from Day One: Johnny Canuck. Left-skating JC on the left shoulder and right-skating JC on the right shoulder. When visiting the likes of MSG, Boston or Philadelphia and opposing fans abruptly ask, "What the puck is a Canuck??!", all I have to do is proudly point to the shoulder patches. ?

It is a nice uniform.  The problem is the blue version isn't.  I wouldn't mind it as an alternate, but most teams go with a dark alternate for obvious reasons.  I'd stick with the current jerseys, but use the updated stick in rink logo.  No shoulder logos needed. 

Or, come up with a new set based on this or something similar using Johnny Canuck on the front.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

:rolleyes:

No one’s going to go “wow the Canucks are totally ripping off the Penguins” if they adopt Johnny Canuck as their primary.

That’s my point. 

What do you mean?  The Canucks are totally ripping off the Penguins, just like how the Coyotes are ripping off the Wild, who are ripping off the Predators for using an animal head logo.

The Johnny Canuck logo is terrible, but it never made me think of the Penguins logo, and even now that I see them next to each other, neither infringes on the other.  For one thing, one is a skating Penguin, which isn't even a thing, while the other is a human that just happens to be skating.  For another, you never see the skating penguin without the traingle behind it.  Maybe if it was in the same pose and without any background, I would maybe think that one resembled the other, but now?  Nope.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Pens had the skating penguin without the triangle on their outdoor sweater and I didn't like it:

Penguins-Stadium-Series-Jersey-2017.jpg

Also, the skating penguin is a thing because the Penguins' logo exists. We have to be done with Thing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

An actual real penguin that can wear skates and hold a hockey stick isn't a thing.  My point was that one is a cartoony mascot, while one is a representation of a real thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived