2018 NASCAR Southern 500 Throwback Weekend Paint Schemes

Matito

For the fourth year in a row, NASCAR will celebrate its heritage by teams running throwback paint schemes at the Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway in Darlington, SC. The practice started in 2015 when NASCAR moved the classic race to its traditional Labor Day Weekend slot on the schedule after a decade of wandering the calendar.

These are the schemes that have been unveiled so far.

2018 NASCAR Southern 500 Throwback Weekend Paint Schemes

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

I'll always love the Rainbow Warriors #24, but dang that 32 is looking really good. Love the Miami Vice blue/pink use. Also, #99 is throwing back to himself. If that wouldn't make you feel old, I don't know what will.

the user formerly known as cdclt

12 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I always enjoy these schemes, I like the variety - glad to see Neil Bonnett get a nod.

...but we're throwing back to Chad Little? Really? Chad :censored:ing Little?

I think it's more "John Deere is back with Roush, let's run the same scheme people loved from 1998" than "Let's pay tribute to the only guy who ever ran anything other than a Ford for Jack Roush."

I have not watched a single race in idk how many years, I'll be 30 in a few months and remember going to the local track ,which is now closed, and watching the races and always getting a die cast car, then football took over me, but seeing that old school Rusty Wallace paint scheme... wow. Brings back memories. 

A few more have been announced.

Chris Buescher is apparently throwing back to a child's drawing?

Dklo8REX0AAr4PH.jpg

Xfinity Series driver Spencer Gallagher will honor Davey Allison with his throwback.

20180814_131528.jpg

The same team Gallagher drives for will also have 1988 NASCAR Cup Series Champion Bill Elliott behind the wheel in the upcoming race at Road America. Elliott will run a throwback paint scheme as well, one that pays tribute to Elliott's #11 Budweiser Ford that he drove for Junior Johnson in the early 1990s.

2018-aug14-bill-elliott-2-main-photo.jpg

On 8/14/2018 at 3:51 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

I'll always love the Rainbow Warriors #24, but dang that 32 is looking really good. Love the Miami Vice blue/pink use. Also, #99 is throwing back to himself. If that wouldn't make you feel old, I don't know what will.

Cope threw back to himself last year when he drove the 55 for Premium Motorsports:

Image result for derrike cope mane n tail throwbackImage result for derrike cope mane n tail throwback

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Honest question here for those that follow NASCAR - is a Dale Sr paint scheme deemed "off limits?" 

To me it'd be a great tribute if someone replicated his Intimidator Goodwrench paint scheme.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

1 hour ago, agentrygraphics said:

Honest question here for those that follow NASCAR - is a Dale Sr paint scheme deemed "off limits?" 

To me it'd be a great tribute if someone replicated his Intimidator Goodwrench paint scheme.

I wouldn't think so, but there's only a select few drivers that could pull it off.

Austin Dillon runs a primarily-black car with the Earnhardt-style "3":

nascar-cup-daytona-500-2018-austin-dillon-richard-childress-racing-dow-chevrolet-camaro-7468192.jpg

and Kevin Harvick, who took over Earnhardt's ride after he died, drove a black #29 Goodwrench car for a few years:

29Goodwrench2003refa-vi.jpg

So... I'd say the acceptable list of drivers who could pull off an Earnhardt throwback is basically limited to Austin Dillon and Kevin Harvick.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

2 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I wouldn't think so, but there's only a select few drivers that could pull it off.

nascar-cup-daytona-500-2018-austin-dillon-richard-childress-racing-dow-chevrolet-camaro-7468192.jpg

and Kevin Harvick, who took over Earnhardt's ride after he died, drove a black #29 Goodwrench car for a few years:

29Goodwrench2003refa-vi.jpg

So... I'd say the acceptable list of drivers who could pull off an Earnhardt throwback is basically limited to Austin Dillon and Kevin Harvick.

A year or so ago, Jeffrey Earnhardt, Dale Sr's grandson, drove a car with a similar paint scheme to Sr's:

JEFFREYEARNHARDT_Starter.jpg

In 2010, Dale Jr drove this car to victory lane at Daytona:

2010-dale-earnhardt-jr-new-car-nascar-na

I'd say his family has more right than any driver to race a throwback 3 paint scheme

2 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Harvick would almost certainly never run an Earnhardt throwback, not for sentimental reasons, but because Earnhardt's car was sponsored by General Motors' parts and service division, and Harvick is now the top driver at Ford's flagship team.

A few more have been announced today.

Kyle Larson is (inexplicably) running a Davey Allison throwback:DkvHq1lW4Ag3bUM.jpg

And Ty Dillon will be running a scheme reminiscent of his 2011 ARCA championship car.

Archived