2018/19 NIKE x NBA Uniform Concepts | TORONTO RAPTORS 6/10

iamdaviinci

On 12/22/2018 at 2:28 AM, itsmb8 said:

Oh man, that is nice!  Personally, I like the red and wish it was somewhere, but regardless this is really nice!  Better coloring than the city edition last year imo.

That brings up another kind of design idea... A mix of the statement and city where the jersey is the same as the statement, the shorts have the arrow stripe down the side but the "m" is from the city design with the rainbow inside the M, and then either white with all green irish rainbow and red outlining or red with green rainbow and white outlining.

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Any suggestions for incorporating the red? I don't think it fits into the Irish rainbow striping, but perhaps red Nike swooshes, a red ad patch, a red nameplate, and red numerals (stroked by the darker of the three greens)? I think the completely green chest striping and logo is what throws me off.

Also, I'm intrigued by the direction you've visualized for a combination of the Statement and City Edition uniforms....I'm always hesitant to follow the red and green route, but this could be fun!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Any suggestions for incorporating the red? I don't think it fits into the Irish rainbow striping, but perhaps red Nike swooshes, a red ad patch, a red nameplate, and red numerals (stroked by the darker of the three greens)? I think the completely green chest striping and logo is what throws me off.

Also, I'm intrigued by the direction you've visualized for a combination of the Statement and City Edition uniforms....I'm always hesitant to follow the red and green route, but this could be fun!

With your concept, I think the only place to put red would be with where you suggested.  Maybe red numbers with forest green outline, red outline on the buck logo on the front, red outline on the shorts pattern, and a red nameplate would be the most red could be added without negatively affecting the concept.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

• 1 month later...

Two of my recent obsessions have been photo albums of abandoned malls and art deco posters. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite figure out a way to incorporate the abandoned malls into a uniform....but, I have an idea for an art deco-inspired concept for the New York Knicks. 

The Knicks' have had solid City Edition Uniform designs both last year and this year, both with local inspiration and familiar colors. I really like the inspiration behind both uniforms, but personally I prefer a bit more experimentation outside of the team's primary color palette. So, the goal was to incorporate a new color palette while paying homage to a key piece of the city's history. 

I'm pretty sure every single Knicks concept I've ever created has started with me determined to use anything other than the Empire State Building on the side panels and ended with me helplessly using nothing but the Empire State Building on the side panels. It never turns out well, but regardless....it's an iconic landmark, it's The Most Famous Building in the World, and it's rightfully woven into the fabric that is the city's history. In other words, it's excellent inspiration for a New York Knicks City Edition uniform.

The art deco style is found everywhere throughout the building -- the architecture, the lobby mural, the interior design and decorating, the (previously) official font, etc. I wanted to capture bits of the building's opulence without doing too much, so I focused on a few key elements:

-The 'EMPIRE STATE' lettering on the building's front - This was the obvious choice for the wordmark with its unique font and shimmering gold. 

-The linear pattern found on the front window panes as well as some tile floors - This created a nice vertical pattern for the side panels with clean, straight lines and a shiny silver finish.

-The large mural in the building's lobby - The 'EMPIRE STATE' wordmark under the building inspired the wordmark being placed under the numerals. Also, the lettering from that mural served as the inspiration for what was previously the building's official font (designed by Two Twelve during the building's 2007 renovation project).

The collar, armhole, and shorts trim is vaguely inspired by some of the marble work throughout the building. The '10118' is the zip code belonging entirely to the Empire State Building. I originally wanted to include a subtle all-over herringbone print pattern alluding to the lobby's tile flooring, but it felt like a bit too much.

Hopefully the sharp colors and intricate patterns create a sleek and grandiose design indicative of the building's style, history, and mystique. 

Thanks for taking the time to check this out -- any and all thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated! 

New York Knicks City Edition Uniform Concept

38i6IzB.jpg

I really like most of it, but the number font just doesn't work for me. Maybe it's just the way the 5 looks, but I feel like you could capture the Art Deco style with a better number font (maybe the one used for the wordmark?).

the user formerly known as cdclt

Thats one high class uniform! I really love the collar patterns and sides and also how it really feels like a city inspired uniform! :D I can imagine Frank Sinatra using this uniform while smoking a cigar and holding a glass of whisky; it's one hell of a fashinonable and elegant uniform Hoopla! The tile floor pattern is absolutely stunning!!

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:50 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

I really like most of it, but the number font just doesn't work for me. Maybe it's just the way the 5 looks, but I feel like you could capture the Art Deco style with a better number font (maybe the one used for the wordmark?).

I appreciate the input! I understand what you mean regarding the 5 looking a bit off. I kind of like how subtly different and obscure it is, but I recognize I'm very likely in the minority on that one. The number font is intended to match the wordmark font using what was once the building's official font, so I'm not sure where to start in terms of alternatives. I'll look through some comparable art deco fonts and see if anything stands out!

On 2/21/2019 at 1:58 PM, Tore said:

Thats one high class uniform! I really love the collar patterns and sides and also how it really feels like a city inspired uniform! :D I can imagine Frank Sinatra using this uniform while smoking a cigar and holding a glass of whisky; it's one hell of a fashinonable and elegant uniform Hoopla! The tile floor pattern is absolutely stunning!!

Thanks for the positive feedback -- the elegant, Frank Sinatra style was certainly the goal!

On 2/22/2019 at 2:50 PM, Hoopskid said:

Refreshing and unique designs on all of these!

Can't wait to see more - great work

Thank you -- I appreciate the kind words!

There are a number of revisions I want to make on my previous Knicks City Edition uniform concept, but first I have another idea for which I could really use some thoughts and suggestions. 

A while back, @itsmb8 suggested I design some Bucks concepts. I kept drawing a blank for quite a while, recolored last year's City Edition uniform for an Earned Edition uniform concept, and have had them in the back of my mind ever since. 

The idea behind this concept is pretty simple, drawing inspiration from the city's brewing history. I started sifting through different beer can designs one day, wondered if any of the elements could be applied to a basketball uniform, and with Milwaukee being the logical recipient I Google image-searched "milwaukee beer can." The first result that stood out to me was an old, flat-top Miller High Life can from the '80s -- its gold base with green and red accents was vaguely Bucks enough. However, there were too many different lines and colors cluttering up the design, so I kept searching until I came across the much cleaner 2010 redesign

The design takes a bit of a cue from the '80s Hawks uniforms as well as the current Cavs City Edition uniforms, though the wrap-around, label-style design doesn't have any 1:1 NBA precedent to my knowledge. The "Milwaukee" script receives the same lettering treatment as the Miller logo and the front numerals are style after the "HIGH LIFE" lettering....so hopefully someone in the Bucks organization can pull some strings once their sponsorship deal with Harley Davidson expires to establish the good folks at Miller their official sponsor and make these uniforms happen. I'm sure these would be a logistical nightmare to engineer and produce, and I'm not sure they're even legal considering the white and non-white color-blocking, but those are minor details.

One thing that's been irking me is the left side panel. Many cans with similar labels have an awkward blank space between each end of the label, but it looks somewhat natural on the medium of a can. A basketball uniform is a bit different, though....it just feels bare and incomplete.

Hopefully it's a fun and unique idea despite still very much being a work-in-progress. As always, any and all comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Milwaukee Bucks City Edition Uniform Concept

XM2UemG.jpg

13 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

There are a number of revisions I want to make on my previous Knicks City Edition uniform concept, but first I have another idea for which I could really use some thoughts and suggestions. 

A while back, @itsmb8 suggested I design some Bucks concepts. I kept drawing a blank for quite a while, recolored last year's City Edition uniform for an Earned Edition uniform concept, and have had them in the back of my mind ever since. 

The idea behind this concept is pretty simple, drawing inspiration from the city's brewing history. I started sifting through different beer can designs one day, wondered if any of the elements could be applied to a basketball uniform, and with Milwaukee being the logical recipient I Google image-searched "milwaukee beer can." The first result that stood out to me was an old, flat-top Miller High Life can from the '80s -- its gold base with green and red accents was vaguely Bucks enough. However, there were too many different lines and colors cluttering up the design, so I kept searching until I came across the much cleaner 2010 redesign

The design takes a bit of a cue from the '80s Hawks uniforms as well as the current Cavs City Edition uniforms, though the wrap-around, label-style design doesn't have any 1:1 NBA precedent to my knowledge. The "Milwaukee" script receives the same lettering treatment as the Miller logo and the front numerals are style after the "HIGH LIFE" lettering....so hopefully someone in the Bucks organization can pull some strings once their sponsorship deal with Harley Davidson expires to establish the good folks at Miller their official sponsor and make these uniforms happen. I'm sure these would be a logistical nightmare to engineer and produce, and I'm not sure they're even legal considering the white and non-white color-blocking, but those are minor details.

One thing that's been irking me is the left side panel. Many cans with similar labels have an awkward blank space between each end of the label, but it looks somewhat natural on the medium of a can. A basketball uniform is a bit different, though....it just feels bare and incomplete.

Hopefully it's a fun and unique idea despite still very much being a work-in-progress. As always, any and all comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Milwaukee Bucks City Edition Uniform Concept

XM2UemG.jpg

Perfect, absolutely PERFECT!  So original, the color scheme is still Bucks colors, a perfect representation of arguably the biggest Milwaukee-based company.  Bravo my man! 

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

On 2/26/2019 at 10:12 AM, itsmb8 said:

Perfect, absolutely PERFECT!  So original, the color scheme is still Bucks colors, a perfect representation of arguably the biggest Milwaukee-based company.  Bravo my man! 

Awesome, I'm very happy to hear you approve and I really appreciate all the kind words! :) 

This next concept just kind of came together as I was looking up something on Basketball Reference while tinkering with a few parts of the template. More specifically, I came across Drazen Petrovic's name while I was working on connecting armhole trim to side panel trim and experimenting with two-tone materials/textures

For those unfamiliar Petrovic, he was a star shooting guard overseas in the '80s before a career in the NBA with the Blazers and Nets. An efficient scorer and one of the first truly great 3-point shooters, he was just beginning to reach his prime when he tragically passed away in a car accident at 28. He was inducted into both the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame as well as the FIBA Hall of Fame and is regarded as one of the figureheads responsible for helping popularize NBA basketball throughout Europe.

Anyways, I thought it would be cool to create a City Edition uniform concept in his honor.  

The uniform design follows the general template of the Nets' Association and Icon Edition uniforms -- consistent trim around the collar armholes, along the jersey and shorts side panels, and around the bottoms of the shorts legs, with a centered wordmark and numerals. The color palette is a nod to both the '90s Nets uniforms in which Petrovic played as well as the colors of his native Croatia's flag; the trim pattern is designed as a nod to the flag's striping. The white base of the jersey contains a subtle checkerboard pattern as another nod to the Croatian flag. The wordmark and numerals remain the same as the ones on his home white Nets' jerseys.

It's a clean, simple design that adds bits of familiar color to the Nets' palette while subtly paying tribute to the life, career, and legacy of Drazen Petrovic.

Thanks for looking -- any and all comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated!

Brooklyn Nets City Edition Uniform Concept

kVAAuHV.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've finished something worth sharing, but here's a City Edition uniform concept for the Houston Rockets. This actually came together when I was discussing scrapped concept ideas with @Tore, so much thanks to him for the suggestions and encouragement to finish the full concept!

The Rockets' City Edition uniforms each of the past two years have been a bit underwhelming -- this season's at least has a bit more character and deviation from their Icon Edition uniforms, and I understand it from a marketing perspective, but I think it's time to move on and start fresh. (For what it's worth, here's one of my previous takes on a Houston Rockets City Edition concept -- the jersey looks really orange on my screen right now, but I swear it was originally red.)

Considering Houston's status as "Space City" as well as their Rockets nickname, the inspiration behind this concept comes from a NASA space suit prototype for the upcoming mid-2030s Mars missions. (Here's an article describing the space suit prototype in detail -- I found it really fascinating.) 

I'm typically not a fan of logos replacing wordmarks, but it makes a bit more sense in context here. The overall design of the uniform takes cues from the Cavaliers' Statement Edition uniforms, and I originally had subtle horizontal pinstripes on the entire uniform as a nod to both the space suit prototype's material and the team's '90s pinstriped uniforms. It felt like a bit too much, though, especially on a base uniform color comparable only to that of the Dallas Mavericks' early 2000s trash bag uniforms.

The logos and numerals incorporate a brighter shade of red along with the shade of crimson from the team's City Edition uniforms - per @Tore's suggestion - to create a bit of a glow effect as seen on the space suit prototype. The side panels mirror those of the space suit prototype as well, and all other details remain simple with sharp hits of black and red similar to the team's old gray uniforms.

As always, thoughts, suggestions, comments, and criticisms are very welcomed! Thanks for looking!

Houston Rockets City Edition Uniform Concept

H644gOx.jpg

The Rockets City edition just blew my mind! Its so clean and aggressive, I can very much imagine Harden pulling up with this uniform during a conference showdown with the Warriors! :D This is without a doubt on par with your Bucks City and Earned Edition, just a outstanding concept!

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

On 9/26/2018 at 7:56 PM, Hoopladawg87 said:

Portland is weird. It's one of my favorite places on earth, in part due to how outrageously quirky and charmingly odd it is. So I guess it's fitting that this concept is a bit different, too.

My original plan for this series was to start out by creating full sets for four teams with classic looks - the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, and Bulls - to iron out some wrinkles in the template. However, before starting on the Bulls, I felt like creating something new and exciting rather than replicating uniforms that already exist or at best tweaking them. 

When Nike originally took over as the official outfitter of the NBA, I was intrigued by how they would design for different teams. Based on their work in, say, college football, not all teams are created equally. Some teams get basic, templated designs, while others get exciting one-off uniforms, exclusive gear, etc. I kind of hope the NBA eventually trends in that direction.

The most logical recipient of the Nike treatment - at least in my mind - is the Portland Trail Blazers. They're the namesake of the Blazer, Nike's first basketball sneaker, and Nike's Beaverton headquarters is located just a short distance west of Portland. My goal was to create something new and exciting for the Blazers....something different and outside the box.

The broader inspiration came from the Oregon Ducks' new Nike football uniforms. Originally criticized for having gimmicky over-sized numerals and not much else, I absolutely love the clean design, bold colors, and identifiable look. I wanted to create a set that was somewhat minimalist, emphasized the team's rich color palette, and was Blazers through and through.

The sash design has been a core design element for much of the Blazers' uniform history, so it had to be retained in some form. I experimented with a number of different twists on it, an eventually settled on spacing out the color blocks -- a nod to their logo in which the pinwheel colors never touch. The sash design is obviously iconic, but somehow it was omitted from the recent Just Don x Mitchell & Ness No Name collection. Taking things to an extreme, I proceeded with the intention of using no wordmarks on the jersey because the sash is sufficiently prominent and iconic.

I studied a number of Nike soccer kits while experimenting with the sash, and one thing I noticed was how often the numerals were strategically placed right under the Nike swoosh. This seemed like a logical application, so the sash was flipped. I also noted various truncated collar and armhole trim patterns, and decided to apply that idea to the front of the jersey as well. The chest sash is a bit overwhelming, so cutting off the trim pattern alleviates clutter and also nicely moves the eye to the Nike swoosh, numerals, and ad patch. (I later realized Adidas used a similar pattern for Michigan's basketball team years ago -- though I'm not too fond of it there.) 

I own a pair of J.Crew sweatpants and a pair of Nike basketball shorts that both have waistband designs that extend all the way around the back but cut off at the front of each hip. I wanted to incorporate that same design on the waistbands here, but it looked a bit bland and without purpose. To fix that, I added over-sized wordmarks as belt buckle logos -- quite similar to the design of boxing trunks. This helps fill the negative space along the waistband, account for the lack of a wordmark on the jersey, and create a cohesive uniform between the jersey and shorts. The shorts also get side panel trim that extends along the back of the legs, but not the front -- something about the shorts transitioning into same-color leg sleeve accessories without any contrast in between seems to work well.

The font is a custom typeface I made based off the one used on the Oregon Ducks' new football uniforms -- it uses a lot of the same ideas, but is rounded in places where that font uses angular straight lines. It feels like a good mix of modern and retro with a bit of quirkiness to it. (I originally wanted to put chrome pinwheel inlines in the numerals a la the Oregon's football numerals, but that plan was scrapped....I may experiment with it some more, though.)

The Association, Icon, and Statement Edition uniforms are three different colors of the aforementioned design.

The City Edition uniform, on the other hand, draws inspiration from the team's Oregon Trail-themed schedule release video. It focuses on the simple, pixelated graphics of the old computer game where the goal is to complete the 2,170-mile excursion from Independence, Missouri to Oregon City, Oregon (just southeast of Portland) without dying of dysentery. The colors as well as the font come from the old screen on which the game was played. The belt buckle contains '2170' in reference to the miles traveled to successfully reach Oregon City, Oregon, and a pixelated Blazers logo accents the bottom of the shorts leg. (It's also conveniently Oregon Ducks-ish in it's color palette -- let's get this $$$ @Nike.)

Thanks for looking -- hopefully you at least find it interesting. As always, any and all thoughts, ideas, comments, and criticisms are always appreciated! 

Portland Trail Blazers Association Edition Uniform Concept

eeTuhnm.jpg

Portland Trail Blazers Icon Edition Uniform Concept

vGLmJuK.jpg

Portland Trail Blazers Statement Edition Uniform Concept

oEzM7ZM.jpg

Portland Trail Blazers City Edition Uniform Concept

viBd79M.jpg

You could literally replicate this design for Chicago but use the Chicago flag instead of the Blazers 3 stripes for the Bulls set too.

(Can i request that be done too??)

shado_logo.gif

On 2/20/2019 at 7:30 PM, Hoopladawg87 said:

New York Knicks City Edition Uniform Concept

38i6IzB.jpg

This reminds me so much of the screen animation that used to play when DSJ scores for the mavs. It was in the same style and colors.

Excellent!

On 4/2/2019 at 9:37 AM, Tore said:

The Rockets City edition just blew my mind! Its so clean and aggressive, I can very much imagine Harden pulling up with this uniform during a conference showdown with the Warriors! :D This is without a doubt on par with your Bucks City and Earned Edition, just a outstanding concept!

Thank you very much, my friend -- I appreciate the kind words!

On 4/8/2019 at 12:10 AM, Shadojoker said:

You can do a whole set based off this template and would sell like hotcakes! Absolute 🔥

I originally started with the green version of the warm-up, but switched over to the white version before I got too far....maybe I'll finish the green version at some point!

On 4/8/2019 at 12:14 AM, Shadojoker said:

You could literally replicate this design for Chicago but use the Chicago flag instead of the Blazers 3 stripes for the Bulls set too.

(Can i request that be done too??)

Ha! I feel like Chicago absolutely nailed the flag-inspired design with their City Edition uniforms this year. If anything, I think this year's City Edition template needs to be recolored with last year's City Edition colors. I'm pretty sure someone on here posted a concept like that well before Nike even took over as the outfitter of the NBA, but I couldn't find the thread with a quick search.

12 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

This reminds me so much of the screen animation that used to play when DSJ scores for the mavs. It was in the same style and colors.

No way....I'll have to see if I can track that down!

• 1 month later...

This Utah Jazz Statement Edition uniform concept is part of a full set of uniforms for the Jazz I hope to finish at some point. I've had some rough ideas for this one in the back of my mind for a while, and I found some time to see the entire conceptualization process through. Quite a few projects I've started recently haven't been completed for one reason or another - and I don't have many if any ideas when it comes to details of the Association, Icon, and City Edition designs to round out the set - but it feels good to finally finish at least one thing worth sharing.

Utah's current identity is one of the more solid, yet understated looks in the League, in my opinion -- the color palette is unique, the typefaces are clean with a bit of subtle character, and the uniforms inoffensively tie all of the elements together. However, I also wouldn't mind it if they were to make a change sooner than later. Given my '90s nostalgia, I wouldn't mind something a bit closer to their '90s identity....but the color palette needs to be more focused, the maximal-ist wordmarks and numerals need to be toned down, and for the love of everything the mountain gradient needs to be left in the past. 

Anyways, the inspiration for this concept started with Utah's late '90s BFBS alternates that I'm pretty sure caused David Stern to ban any additional teams from wearing BFBS uniforms for a period of time. The color palette was intriguing, the design elements were dialed down without being boring nor generic, and overall I feel like it's a pretty underrated uniform. Basically, I wanted to bring the spirit of that uniform forward to today's era and see how it could be modernized.

More inspiration for this concept came from these Pete Maravich-era throwbacks -- I really like how things contrast with only the wordmark and numerals in white against a dark background.

(Early drafts of this concept were also influenced by an Avengers: Endgame advertisement that popped up as an ad while I was online.)

The uniform uses a modified version of the team's current 'UTAH' wordmark with the tops of all four letters leveled rather than arced; the current numerals are unchanged. The color palette remains the same, though the balance has been tweaked to create a darker atmosphere while allowing the white applications and copper trim to pop. (My biggest issue with the '90s BFBS uniforms is that the copper doesn't work well in volume -- relegating it solely to collar, armhole, and side panel trim as well as numeral strokes alleviates this.) Lastly, the color-block gradient from the team's current City Edition uniforms has been re-purposed on the side panels -- it reminds me a bit of the purple-ish glow of the Utah night sky, but mostly I just think it looks cool and like it as a signature branding element for them. 

Anyways, that's all for now. Any and all thoughts and feedback on this concept as well as the (eventual) direction for the rest of their uniform set is greatly appreciated!

Utah Jazz Statement Edition Uniform Concept

pCbAXjm.jpg

On 5/10/2019 at 4:20 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Throw some orange and there and that’s a hell of a suns concept

Ha! Thanks!? I looked at the Suns' black alternate uniforms from the '90s on more than one occasion in hopes of differentiating the Jazz concept at least a bit. Even with the copper instead of orange, though, the color palette certainly invites the comparisons.

The '90s uniform I ended up taking the most inspiration from was actually the Hawk's away uniform -- mostly with respect to balancing the gradient/color-blocking at the top of the jersey vs. the bottoms of the shorts as well as the trim pattern.

Archived