Vancouver Canucks Stop Use of Logo By Lacrosse Team

Vancouver Canucks Stop Use of Logo By Lacrosse Team

August 20, 2018 - 15:13 PM

A youth lacrosse team in British Columbia has quickly learned about the world of intellectual property theft this week when the Vancouver Canucks told them they had to change their uniforms. The youth team (which appears to have no name) […]

Read More...

The Canucks are clearly in the right. It's their trademark. I'm not a fan with the way their ownership has conducted themselves over the years, especially concerning Trevor Linden's recent departure, but that's besides the point. The club is only asking for the jerseys back. The Canucks are not dragging an innocent family into court and suing them for every nickel. No harm was intended from either side.

I posted the jersey in the Canucks bringing back the skate logo for their 50th anniversary thread.  It was a pretty nice jersey that was very similar to their current set and finally convinced me that Johnny Canuck on the front could work.  The team should actually make a deal with the creator to possibly make an official jersey in the future.

I really surprised at the reaction from some people on the news at how they think the Canucks were in the wrong on this one.  Whether it involves kids or even if it's not for profit, the Canucks and any other organization must protect their IP otherwise it could be subject to abuse.  If they didn't put a stop to this, then another group could come in and say why not us?  They did allow the kids to wear them for the games.  The parent should have known better and the company that made them sure should have known better to not just use one, but two trademarked logos.  They also had a small Vancouver Stealth logo on the front.  

Canucks couldn’t have handled this better, they need to protect their IP and they are supplying the team with new uniforms. The people complaining are likely the same crowd who whine about how “athletes get paid ‘too much’”, and feel the need to air out their superiority every February by letting anyone within earshot know they won’t be watching the Super Bowl and they’re smarter than you for it.

The Canucks are definitely right to challenge this. The law is likely different in Canada, but personally, I think a court should rule in favor of the youth team as this is the textbook definition of parody, and it doesn’t appear there was any malicious intent to monetarily capitalize on the work.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived