AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

Dear Anaheim Ducks,

It's not that hard.

Sincerely,

Spider-Knight Jerseys

• Like 5
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

7 hours ago, nash61 said:

Dear Anaheim Ducks,

It's not that hard.

Sincerely,

Spider-Knight Jerseys

Being a Londoner it’s bittersweet to see these uniforms. 

Theyre from from the worst season in CHL history, but also marked the turning point in one of the most dominant franchises in the CHL. People on London either love or hate the “SpiderKnights”, no in between I’m one that loves

Forgive my incompetence/inability to post a photo directly, but anybody see the Grand Rapids Griffins specialty unis?

https://www.bardown.com/griffins-unveil-fantastic-jerseys-designed-entirely-by-a-fan-that-they-ll-rock-this-weekend-1.1241485?fbclid=IwAR0ao-zw0Bzl5TLc24crMvBRvb88qeoBQdAtf2N9joWskSHRaicw6dcp538

I like what they`re going for, but the G isn`t pronounced enough on the logo IMO.  

sig.png

Maine Mariners to take the ice as Wild Blueberries

January 16, 2019 - 16:36 PM

The ECHL’s Maine Mariners, playing in their second season after relocating from Alaska, will peek into an alternate universe where fans chose a different name for their team later this season. When the Mariners take the ice against the South […]

Read More...

Hadn't seen these on this thread. The San Diego Gulls broke out these homage jerseys on Willie O'Ree Night honoring the long time Gull and NHL legend back in mid November

San-Diego-Gulls.jpg

rostermoves2_111818-fe3da2b845.jpg

The major change from the jerseys of O'Ree/Western Hockey League era was the inclusion of the modern "SD" wordmark on the right shoulder like the Gulls standard home jersey, and the modern Gulls' logo on the left shoulder in place of the typical Duck's logo. 

• Like 4

On February 15 the Cincinnati Cyclones will play as the Cincinnati Flying Pigs to honor the cities pork industry, flying pigs and the Flying Pig Marathon.

Dxss7R0WwAEj98H.jpg

The story behind Cincinnati and flying pigs:

In the 1980s, as part of the 200th anniversary of the founding of the city, a park was built along the river and named Bicentennial Commons at Sawyer Point. British Artist Andrew Leicester was commissioned to construct a sculpture to stand at the park’s entrance. The piece he created consists of four crowned smokestacks, which recall the importance of the riverboat to the city’s history. Atop each smokestack is a small statue of a pig. In an apparent fit of whimsy, Leicester adorned the creatures with wings. He later explained that this was to symbolize the hogs’ ascent to Heaven, as they gave their souls to make the city great.

Signature intentionally left blank

Peterborough Petes announces they’re switching back to their Reebok Edge style uniforms for next season, also hints the CHL is moving to the CCM Quicklite template next season.

https://flic.kr/p/ShnY8w

Also found this, Knights could possibly be getting a new logo next year 

https://flic.kr/p/ShnY7E

(I’m on my phone, couldn’t figure out how to embed photos)

8 hours ago, philcar1994 said:

Peterborough Petes announces they’re switching back to their Reebok Edge style uniforms for next season, also hints the CHL is moving to the CCM Quicklite template next season.

https://flic.kr/p/ShnY8w

Also found this, Knights could possibly be getting a new logo next year 

https://flic.kr/p/ShnY7E

(I’m on my phone, couldn’t figure out how to embed photos)

Not surprised about the move the CCM Quicklite.  Noticed this year's CHL/NHL Top Prospect Game uniforms were Quicklite.

3 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

According to reports, this will be the final season for the Kootenay Ice. They will be relocating to Winnipeg for next season. Kind of unfortunate but I think the Ice have had some difficulty the last few years financially.

Report: Kootenay Ice to relocate to Winnipeg

From what I've read the owners have sunk their own ship. Trading away players, raising prices within their organization, dropping attendance due to this. I'm sure the team will do better in Winnipeg. They'll be playing out of U of M's hockey arena until a new arena for them is built

WHL: Kootenay Ice Moving to Winnipeg for 2019-20

January 29, 2019 - 19:24 PM

The Western Hockey League this afternoon announced that the Kootenay Ice will relocate to Winnipeg for the 2019-20 season. The Ice will play out the remainder of the current season at their home in Cranbrook, B.C. before moving to Manitoba […]

Read More...

2 hours ago, philcar1994 said:

From what I've read the owners have sunk their own ship. Trading away players, raising prices within their organization, dropping attendance due to this. I'm sure the team will do better in Winnipeg. They'll be playing out of U of M's hockey arena until a new arena for them is built

The current Winnipeg-based owners may have had one foot out the door since they bought the team a few years ago, but Kootenay's been a sinking ship for a while now. Attendance was already dropping and there has always been issues with the viability of Cranbrook.

I'm still not convinced about the viability of Winnipeg though.

IbjBaeE.png

2 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The current Winnipeg-based owners may have had one foot out the door since they bought the team a few years ago, but Kootenay's been a sinking ship for a while now. Attendance was already dropping and there has always been issues with the viability of Cranbrook.

I'm still not convinced about the viability of Winnipeg though.

Yeah, Winnipeg seems a bit saturated with the NHL and AHL in place.

41 minutes ago, SportsLogos.Net News said:

kootenay-ice-logo.png

The Western Hockey League this afternoon announced that the Kootenay Ice will relocate to Winnipeg for the 2019-20 season.

Remove the "ICE" wordmark from the logo, update the depiction of the creature so that it appears more emaciated, and rename the team the Winnipeg Wendigo

Then again, maybe a human being transformed into a cannibalistic monster by a malevolent spirit from indigenous North American folklore isn't exactly where a junior hockey team wants to turn to for branding inspiration.  

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I don't think it will be saturated too too much. Look at Mississauga. You have the Maple Leafs (NHL), Marlies (AHL), Beast (ECHL), Furies (CWHL) and the Stealheads (OHL)

The Steelheads however were ranked second last in average attendance last year, but I feel like Winnipeg will be a different story. Not as many teams in the area compared to Toronto or Vancouver

5 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Especially since the WHL team isn't owned by the NHL team, while the AHL team is. The WHL team is also not playing in the NHL arena, while the AHL team is.

Part of the reason the Calgary Hitmen survived in the late '90s was because they always played in the Saddledome and the Flames bought them a couple years in. Compare that to the then Edmonton Ice who started a year after the Hitmen (1996 and 1995 respectively), but were forced to play in a different arena and essentially run out of town by the Oilers to Cranbrook after only two seasons. The WHL had failed previously in the NHL markets until the Hitmen and now the Edmonton Oil Kings are doing well, but they were started in 2007 by the Oilers and have played in the same arena as the Oilers. The outlier being the Vancouver Giants who were never owned by the Canucks and never played in the Canucks arena. The Giants started in 2001 and played in the old Pacific Coliseum until a few years ago when they moved to a Vancouver suburb.

I can't see the Jets ever doing anything with the Ice because the Jets own the Moose and now the Ice and Moose are going to be competing for the same market, i.e. the cheaper more family-friendly hockey market. From what I've also seen recently, the Moose attendance has been on the decline so maybe that money will shift over to the Ice, but it remains to be seen.

3 hours ago, philcar1994 said:

I don't think it will be saturated too too much. Look at Mississauga. You have the Maple Leafs (NHL), Marlies (AHL), Beast (ECHL), Furies (CWHL) and the Stealheads (OHL)

The Steelheads however were ranked second last in average attendance last year, but I feel like Winnipeg will be a different story. Not as many teams in the area compared to Toronto or Vancouver

With all due respect to the Furies and the CWHL, I don't think they really factor into the market. I'll also say that for the Beast as weel. From anecdotal evidence, junior hockey does have more support in Canada than minor league does. The Steelheads average attendance is higher than the Beast too. 

You also have to take into account the population of the GTA compared to the population of Winnipeg.

There can be a market for NHL and CHL teams, the real issue for Winnipeg is the addition of the AHL team which is already owned by the NHL team.

IbjBaeE.png

Not a fan of three teams in Winnipeg nor a Dub team as far east as Winnipeg is. Isn't the arena in Abbotsford open? Is there an arena in southern Oregon?

I'm not really a fan of the Moose being there, either, though I understand that it's not an easy place to send guys up to and down from. Thunder Bay ior Saskatoon would be a headache for everyone, and the traditional AHL circuit isn't any easier.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫