Minnesota Whitecaps (NWHL Women's Hockey) unveil new logo.

Burmy

Full story here.

B17B6866-36DA-4DC3-B6B7-936FD33F82A5_lar

A beauty, isn't it?  Plus you know I'm a fool for logos with hidden meanings.

Per the PR:

The new brand identity for the Whitecaps was created by M Style Marketing, a global strategy, marketing and branding agency specializing in sports, entertainment and consumer products. 

“The Whitecaps organization and these elite athletes have such importance in the hockey community, so we created the branding to match their lofty stature,” said Rob Striar, founder of M Style. “The whitecap wave element having the ‘M’ and ‘W’ in the graphic with the use of space for the waves resulted in a truly unique brand. M Style is honored to work with the NWHL and the Whitecaps to deliver this iconic branding as the team starts its first year in the league. With the talent on this year’s team, we expect that waves of offense will power the Whitecaps.”

Sounds to me like it could contend for the Logo of the Year award once it's added to the mothership...

bYhYmxh.png

Honestly, I'm not really digging it. I get what they're trying to do but it just isn't working for me as a primary logo. I feel like it would work much better as an alternate worn on the shoulders/sleeves.

spacer.png

If there's a "W" there it feels really forced, especially with the right most arm of the "W" becoming the border for the entire logo.  The "M" is easy to make out.  The "W"....not so much.  Along with that, the whole empty black space around everything feels exactly that: empty.  it's a rather bland logo overall.

I think the idea is good but the execution is horrible. I took a look at MStyle's webpage and their other work is far superior to this. Did an unpaid intern get this project? The transition from the right side of the wave to meet the circle is absolutely atrocious. I wish someone would have paid more attention to the minor details because there is a lot of excitement for this team, especially entering their first season in the NWHL. This could be a great crest with a few tweaks and major adjustments. As it is, it's just sad.

This doesn't feel like a sports logo to me. Feels more like a local shop or something.  The "Minnesota" is also pretty small. I think it might be near illegible at smaller sizes. The letterforms are a bit sloppy, too. Letters bend in weird ways along that curve.

The curves on this logo are terrible, especially on the blue and silver outlines.  It looks like they just offset the path without cleaning them up.  For example, the blue outline on the top of the left wave breaks the curve and goes into a straight line as it's going to the point. Clear example of offsetting path and calling it a day. Things like that are all over this logo. Poor bezier curves and linework. 

Archived