NHL Refresh Series - "Desecrating" the NHL

OhioSportsMan61

Kudos to @Lafarge on your "Desecrating the NFL" series, you've really inspired me to force myself to take more risks and be more bold with my hockey concepts. Most of my uniform designs tend to be conventional and traditionally sound based off of the team's history. So I began this series with the goal in mind to reach a little bit out of my comfort zone design-wise. This concept series will follow the same rules as Lafarge's "Desecrating the NFL" with a few added notes.

THE RULES

1. The uniform must be brand new. The design may never have been worn previously by the franchise.

2. A team's uniform must be "drastically different." i.e. Obviously different to the average person on this site.

2a. Teams must also have a unique design element that sets them apart from the rest of the league.

3. Elements may be taken from current or former uniforms, and may be mixed and matched, so long as a new uniform is created.

4. Logos remain the same. This is mostly a uniform project.

4a. Logos can be recolored or slightly modified, but there may not be any new logos used.

5. Each team will have a primary colored jersey (home), a primary white jersey (road), and an alternate, third jersey.

(check out Lafarge's fantastic concept series here:) 

There's no real order to the team's I will be posting, but I am open for suggestions as for who to post next. 

Let's start things off with Calgary...

Calgary Flames

9aNAII1.png

KIo4Yez.png

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's a hot set coming right out of the gate! 

Home: I love the darker red and the complete removal of white striping from the red jersey. It actually makes me like the white Flaming C (which IMO looks terrible on the classic flames red throwback). The lack of white elsewhere makes the C pop.

Road: A good continuation of the home jersey's basic patterns. I think extending the yoke a bit and rounding it off would make it great.

Alternate: Too much black. On the home jersey, the lack of white was a plus. Here, a bit of white striping is needed. And maybe swap the use of yellow and red.

Overall, a great stab at a set of jerseys that no one seems to be able to get right.

Love the home and road. Darker red is fantastic and agree, the logo really pops now. 

The alt reminds me of the Cavaliers newer alternate (whatever they call it). I think maybe if you made the bottoms of the arms and hem red it'd give it a little more... I dunno. Something. Could also make the bottom parts of the pant stripe red. 

Cant wait to see the rest!

I applaude you for not embracing the retro colouring. That retro red badly needs black to compliment it or it looks cheesy and dated.

This colour red, and yellow, stand great on their own.

I would put a white "C" with red outline on the alts, and do the  same  with the font , but that is the only thing that I'd change. Well done.

Welcome to the club, good sir! I'm excited to see what sort of debauchery you can come up with!

I really like this Calgary concept. It's pretty down to earth, but definitely not something the Flames have suited up in before, which as you stated yourself is the main goal. I've always been a big proponent of darkening the red/gold color scheme in some way, and the maroon is a good way to go without using black. I also like the subtle reference to the pedestal uniforms in the pants striping.

One critique I do have: On the alternate pants, I think it would be more consistent (and better looking in general) if you were to add a red stripe in between the bottom two yellow stripes. That would improve the consistency between the stripes on the rest of the uniform (obviously this isn't a problem on the red shorts).

Overall a solid start! I'm excited to see the Original 6 get torn up!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

For Calgary, I think that those should be their uniforms, if they decided to throw it back full-time, while looking towards the future. For Chicago, that set somehow desecrates part of their tradition, especially that all-red uniform, but, don't get me wrong, it still looks traditional and clean. Great work on both teams!

On 8/24/2018 at 12:00 PM, OhioSportsMan61 said:

Thanks for all of the feedback so far! I'll go ahead and post the next team...

Chicago Blackhawks

1a9EnYd.png

AhDsYzZ.png

Not bad.  But since the point is "desecration," can we see a version where the C-hawk replaces the chief as the main logo?

On 8/24/2018 at 6:18 PM, B-mer said:

Chicago isn't too bad of a desecration, looks good overall. For some reason I feel like it aligns them a bit more with the Bulls, and you have a bit of classic Hawks with the tomahawks on the arms. 

Do Boston next!

Here's Boston!

Vg8ktTr.png

Ip7ksoM.png

On 8/26/2018 at 3:36 AM, NicDB said:

Not bad.  But since the point is "desecration," can we see a version where the C-hawk replaces the chief as the main logo?

Sorry, I am not going back and changing my concepts. If it was a small revision/execution error that is a different story, but I used the chief logo as the primary for a specific reason.

2LYbxnm.png

I'm taking my time looking at Boston. I like it a lot. Great decision with the B logo. Loving the brown and gold sets. The only thing I think might improve the balance on the road jersey is putting a brown stripe right above the gold on the hem. I see how you're keeping the consistency between each jersey but it just seems off balance. Perhaps if I saw it on a player with the pants bringing it together I'd say something different.

overall really cool though!

15 hours ago, B-mer said:

I'm taking my time looking at Boston. I like it a lot. Great decision with the B logo. Loving the brown and gold sets. The only thing I think might improve the balance on the road jersey is putting a brown stripe right above the gold on the hem. I see how you're keeping the consistency between each jersey but it just seems off balance. Perhaps if I saw it on a player with the pants bringing it together I'd say something different.

overall really cool though!

Good eye on that, what I was trying to do was actually incorporate the pants as part of the striping so that it stays consistent with the design on the arms. I don't have a good player template to use (the one I made is pretty outdated), but one of my goals is to make a newer one. So once that happens, I'll be sure to post it here adapting it to this Bruins concept.

edit: I'm having some trouble uploading pictures to imgur......once that's resolved, I'll post the next team!

2LYbxnm.png

Archived