Austin FC

Waffles

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Anything with chain stitching is pretty good.

That's an entirely different club.  The Scorpions folded when the NASL failed to find anyone who wanted to buy them. 

SS&E didn't buy the team, but they did buy his stadium and training facilities for their expansion USL team.  The owner of the Scorpions then continued to try to find a buyer before eventually giving up.

Yup. It's confusing because of the links between the teams. Because there was no break in between and the majority of the players were retained in some manner we tend to think of them as the same team.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Digby said:

If we were gonna #KeepAustinWeird AND tie in more recognizably with the local culture... shoulda dusted off the old digital bat.

TampaBayMutiny.png

That’s not really the point of a local identity, though, which is what MLS identities generally aspire toward. Don’t get me wrong, a bat would would have made a great mark, but it would have been just as recognizable to everyone outside Austin as it would have been to those in Austin, and I don’t think that’s necessarily the goal with an MLS identity. The bats are tourist territory at this point with Austin blooming into a destination, and I really don’t blame them for not going there. It’s still a top mark despite featuring one of the most static and familiar symbols in the league.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Yup. It's confusing because of the links between the teams. Because there was no break in between and the majority of the players were retained in some manner we tend to think of them as the same team.

There are no links between the teams, other than one bought the stadium after the other folded.  They also signed a couple players who had suddenly found themselves unemployed, but I don’t know it was a majority. 

6 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

Are you hoping Columbus sticks around? What if Austin gets an expansion team instead of relocation?

1) Yes.  

2)  That seems unlikely but that would be fine.  Although Precourt is a scumbag and a cancer on the league.  Austin would be welcome to apply for an expansion club in my universe, so long as he was not involved. 

The crest itself is... serviceable. The situation behind it is very {censored} so this comment is just my opinion on the logo & other elements itself.

There are some good things going for it like:

• The use of green -  As of the 2018 MLS season; only four teams (Columbus, Orlando, Portland, LAFC) out of the twenty-three current teams use a color that isn't dominant in shades of red or blue. It somewhat helps with the identity that they are going for. Under the right circumstances, black and green can work out very well. (I did leave Seattle out since they use blue and green, and LAFC does have red as part of their brand but doesn't use it to an extent like Atlanta)
  • The Badge - Honestly the shape is expected of an MLS team at this point. This will sound like dammed by faint praise or so but, it could be worse (New England). I'll explain the missed opportunity below.
  • The font - thick and bold like the state its in. It's fitting.

However, there are bad things going for it.

• Black as a main color - Texas is hot and miserable during the summer! Since Austin is in the middle of Texas, It doesn't really get a nice breeze form the gulf. But since it doesn't stop other teams in similar situations, this complaint is minor.
  • White - At least add a white border between the green borders or have FC be in white. Or something. Or don't use white at all.
  • Badge shape - the coat of arms for Austin is a missed opportunity. it could had been incorporated into the logo or form the basis of the logo. At least it will help with the ummm..... "the bond between Club and City" a little more.
  • The Name - Austin FC? Thats it? This is America! We can't keep copy and pasting overseas traditions. I say embrace a nickname and put it on the badge! And quit it with the FC. if you're calling it soccer, use SC!

In the end, I say the badge in my opinion is a work in progress.

I will also say that MLS as a sports league needs to change their business model. Their current model no longer has a place since all teams are somewhat profitable and the US soccer pyramid can do better with pro and reg and have fan owned teams. But that's a discussion for another day since there are nuances for pro and reg ad ownership of teams...

Plain “FC” or “SC” names are good when they give the supporters a chance to organically coin the team’s nickname.

The crest is well-designed all things considered, but really not unique, which everyone’s hit on.

It really bothers me that “Austin” is in white and “FC” is in green.

6fQjS3M.png

I see a lot of harping on black as the main color, but the press image does state that verde is the signature color, so I don’t think you can assume the black will be dominant.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

6 minutes ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Hmmm, now we know why FC Cincinnati was rushed into play next year. It's all about money.

All Crew fans need to be welcomed in Cincy. Maybe there should be a bring your Crew gear night and torch it.

There should be a Hell is Real Derby that gets Snake and Shuffle to realize they'll be better off staying put or selling off the team that currently inhabits Ohio's state capital. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Personally, I think a black and green striped shirt could look very good (see: Plymouth Argyle but with a lighter green).

Regardless the official colors, manufacturers have a habit of changing them slightly every few years. But that's a good place to start.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Black and green stripes is a great and underused look. I loved the Celtic away kit from 2006 or whenver that was. Plymouth Argyle's new home is less good, because the green is too dark and the white accents are too much, but same good idea. I hope a team that is not the Zombie Columbus Crew picks this up and runs with it.

CelticASS0607.gif

Kits.png

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 8/22/2018 at 8:06 PM, NYCdog said:

City of Oakland & the Warriors might not be fans of this too... 

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/1032459648106983425?s=21

68747470733a2f2f662e636c6f75642e67697468

town.jpg?itok=c49d_JwL

As would those across the Dumbatron Bridge in Menlo Park.

WVMgTjE.jpg

The top is the existing logo.  The three on the bottom were also given to the city council in 2013, but they decided to keep the existing one.

• I like those colors together. To be fair though I'm a biased due to green, black & white being the team colors of the youth football and baseball clubs I played for as a kid.
  • I'm not wild about a tree for a logo, but it was well done.
  • Team name had no effort put into it IMO. At this point going with City Name FC/SC or City Name United is just lazy. Hell even going with a North American/Euro hybrid name like Austin Roots FC (needed something tree related to go with logo) would have been better than simply Austin FC.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

22 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

That’s not really the point of a local identity, though, which is what MLS identities generally aspire toward. Don’t get me wrong, a bat would would have made a great mark, but it would have been just as recognizable to everyone outside Austin as it would have been to those in Austin, and I don’t think that’s necessarily the goal with an MLS identity. The bats are tourist territory at this point with Austin blooming into a destination, and I really don’t blame them for not going there. It’s still a top mark despite featuring one of the most static and familiar symbols in the league.

So...a bat would be bad because it would be just as recognizable to people outside of Austin as to those from there.

Meanwhile the tree is “a top mark” despite being “static and familiar.” 

I think you talked yourself in a circle. 

Archived