Moving to a new State and embracing your new local sports franchise(s) looks

Olmec

My brief two cents... support the local teams within reason and don't give up your former home teams... BUT just please don't be like those people that wish death upon the local teams just because your former teams still exist... I'm so sick of hearing "I'm a _____ fan for life I'll NEVER support those losers the _____."

I was sitting behind a family of Cubs fans this year at my home team's ballpark and the mom said she refused to buy a soda because it came in a cup with my home team's logo on it... let that sink in for a moment... also don't forget that this woman and her family paid money to the same home team for the tickets to the game. THAT thinking drives me nuts.

Go out and enjoy the local sports here and there and, as long as they're not playing against your former teams, then root, root, root for the home team!

I've lived in Salt Lake City, Chicago and southern Wisconsin. I've spent many summers in Southern California and Las Vegas with family as a kid. I am a native Utahn, so I will always be a Jazz fan. I am a diehard Ute fan. 

I grew up cheering for the Rams (because my uncles in California) and Cowboys (because my brother was a fan). I never really have had a strong tie to any NFL team. I love the game and I'll always have a passing interest in the Rams, Chargers, Raiders, 49ers, Cowboys, Bears and Packers. I felt that same way about baseball until I lived in Chicago and adopted the Cubs as my team. I still have passing interest in the Padres, Angels, Giants, Brewers and A's. Never cared much for the White Sox. But, the Cubs come first.

And, yeah, I jumped onto the Golden Knights bandwagon this past year. I never got much into hockey but my love for Vegas and their play made me want to watch. And, I've fallen in love with the game. I don't see myself really having much interest in another NHL team outside maybe the Ducks?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

7 hours ago, Kaz said:

Interesting; nowadays Pensacola is firmly a Saints and Bama town - granted the Bama part was maybe not the case 10 years ago - with a sprinkling of Gators, Auburn, LSU, and FSU.

Accurate observation. And let me help you out with that: BANDWAGONERS!!

Prior to 2005, you couldn't find a Saints fan anywhere between Gulfport MS and Jacksonville FL if you tried. The second they started winning some games, then everybody wanna act like they been diehards from day one. Yeah--they ain't fool me.

(And this same thing is true of all the Bamaheads running around down there, too--never heard a peep about anything Alabama while Florida and Florida State were battling it out for CFB supremacy in the mid-late '90s and early 2000s, but soon as Bama started winning titles...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

22 hours ago, MC Buffalo said:

I have NEVER understood and it bothers me to no end when someone born and raised in one City is not a fan of the hometown team, but claims to be a huge fan of another team in that league. Unless of course there are family ties back to the other team. They are almost always "front runners", when I was younger, I could drop a bomb on Western New York and I don't think I would have hurt one New England Patriot fan, now if I spit out of my window, a Patriot fan will probably get wet.

I get it, it's fun to root for a team that's winning all the time, but it's just seems so disingenuous.

This ^, I get when kids do it, heck I grew up during the heyday of Michael Jordan, there were more Bulls fan than Nets and Knicks fans in my elementary and middle schools combined, but as adults I just don't get it.

On 8/29/2018 at 12:02 PM, Olmec said:

This ^, I get when kids do it, heck I grew up during the heyday of Michael Jordan, there were more Bulls fan than Nets and Knicks fans in my elementary and middle schools combined, but as adults I just don't get it.

I think you have the rise of fantasy sports and the loyalty to individual players, as well as the ease of watching out of market teams with streaming to blame. With the first part - like I said my NBA teams are the Nets and the Cavs, but you can bet I will be following Lebron in LA as well (by no means a Lakers fan, but I am a Lebron fan). 

For the second part - it's just as easy for me to watch the Devils with Game Center as it is to watch the Lightning on Fox Sports. Wasn't always like that - I owe my lifetime of Jets fandom due to the fact my grandparents rabbit ears picked up Jets games better than the Giants in Scotch Plains, NJ, so my dad watched the Jets. 

Archived