Angels Rock Sweet California Throwback Unis

Angels Rock Sweet California Throwback Unis

August 28, 2018 - 14:05 PM

The California Angels were back in action again last night in Anaheim, as the *Los Angeles* Angels took to the field wearing throwback uniforms based off of what the club wore originally from 1976 through 1985. Paired up against the […]

Read More...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, this is the look I always envision when I think about the Angels. It’s the look I grew up with.   But it’s not a good look by any means. 

The workmark is inferior to every other version they wore, excepting only the Disney debacle. The logo is like they ran every other logo in their history through a machine designed to drain it of all character.  And let’s not even get into “California”, a transparent attempt to cater to the racism endemic in the Orange Curtain of the day. 

47 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

To be honest, this is the look I always envision when I think about the Angels. It’s the look I grew up with.   But it’s not a good look by any means. 

The workmark is inferior to every other version they wore, excepting only the Disney debacle. The logo is like they ran every other logo in their history through a machine designed to drain it of all character.  And let’s not even get into “California”, a transparent attempt to cater to the racism endemic in the Orange Curtain of the day. 

Well, I guess they could be called "Golden State Angels". But you're right, let's not get into it.

The late-80s logo with the thicker halo has far more character than the early-80s version does. But I'd rather take the 60s look with the intersecting LA (or CA) and halo top or the mid-90s look any day.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Better that they claim all of California?  :blink:

Good point.

Better rename them to The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and/or California with iconic Husky Stadium jaws and BFBS.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Great look and name to occasionally throw back to, but I'm not here for talk of bringing either back permanently.  For all the flaws with the Angels branding themselves as LA, it still makes more sense than literally every other option.  

In hindsight, it probably would have made more sense to name the team after the Hollywood Stars from day one (especially when that's the team Gene Autry was part owner of).  Maybe we could have eventually bought California Stars or Anaheim Stars, but the Angels name really only works when it's tied to LA. 

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I actually like California Angels.  Yea it's out of date but it just has a flow to it.

I read this in Ranch Wilder's voice.

f3324b27-dfdc-4f50-ac13-a9e588f85ca4_100

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

13 minutes ago, the admiral said:

No, the schwa at the end of "California" and the A don't flow together well at all. "Los Angeles Angels" has a much better cadence.

Anaheim Angels rolled off the tongue best of all. Among the best in the league! I don't care about the rest, I like it for that reason alone.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Elaborate please.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

Elaborate please.

61v0PNKIQkL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This book does an excellent job of explaining it.

I also prefer Anaheim Angels, with Los Angeles as a close second. Let's remember that it was the ANAHEIM Angels that won the 2002 World Series (Dusty Baker is baseball's Marty Schottenheimer).

Archived