Angels Rock Sweet California Throwback Unis

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

In your position. I’d probably want to change the subject too. ;) 

?

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

But you can’t talk about the relationship between LA and OC without discussing the Orange Curtain.   And you can’t talk about that without acknowledging the racism that caused it to be hung in the first place.

I mean you can, especially when we're just talking about the baseball team, but you didn't.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I like just about everything to their current set except the weird silver drop shadows on the scripts and that the halo is silver instead of gold (athletic, not metallic). A Los Angeles script would be nice, leave the Big A on the hats as a compromise to Anaheim and because it's a solid cap logo that's been there in one form or another for the vast majority of the franchise's existence. I can't decide whether the crowns of the caps and the undershirts should be red or navy; navy objectively looks better but for marketing purposes I respect the red/blue dichotomy between the Angels and Dodgers.

I agree wholeheartedly on just about everything here. It's why I loved the 50th anniversary season hats with the gold halo. A "Los Angeles" script would be a little too divisive among fans, as evidenced. The A on the hat wouldn't be a compromise, it'd just be what its always been. I also agree that the navy blue crown does look just aces. I don't like it with the current logo (it would need the aforementioned gold halo), but generally speaking it does look better. But we've established that Red/Blue Angels/Dodgers thing, which is nice.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They’re in the LA metro area.  That’s enough to justify the name.

The Rams didn’t change their name when they moved to Anaheim.  The Angels really didn’t have to either, except for that whole “Orange Curtain” thing that was going on.  Now that the situation has changed, the name “Los Angeles” isn’t quite so radioactive in Orange County as they thought it would be back in 1965. 

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

They’re in the LA metro area.  That’s enough to justify the name.

The Rams didn’t change their name when they moved to Anaheim.  The Angels really didn’t have to either, except for that whole “Orange Curtain” thing that was going on.  Now that the situation has changed, the name “Los Angeles” isn’t quite so radioactive in Orange County as they thought it would be back in 1965. 

Tell that to all of the Ducks fans who had to listen to Kings fans chant "This is our house!" during an elimination game (which happened to be Teemu Selanne's final game, BTW). Many Anaheim fans still don't want their teams associated with Los Angeles.

28 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Many Anaheim fans still don't want their teams associated with Los Angeles.

That’s true.  But I don’t think it’s anywhere near as many as felt that way in the 1980s.  Demographic changes have done wonders for that.

And besides, the demographics of hockey fans are very different from those, say, of baseball fans.  Hard to compare the two. 

Didn’t the change from Anaheim to LA anger many fans anyway? 

I rememeber during the recent Super Bowl, Al Michaels referred to the Angels as “California Angels” which lead to the official Angels twitter account correcting him “It’s Los Angeles” but with many of the reply’s (assuming Angels fans) filled with “It’s Anaheim”. 

XM4KeeA.png

8 minutes ago, insert name said:

Didn’t the change from Anaheim to LA anger many fans anyway? 

I rememeber during the recent Super Bowl, Al Michaels referred to the Angels as “California Angels” which lead to the official Angels twitter account correcting him “It’s Los Angeles” but with many of the reply’s (assuming Angels fans) filled with “It’s Anaheim”. 

Even if social media can be taken as emblematic of a larger group of people (it can’t), I’m still not sure your assumption is a valid one.  Just as NYCFC fans love to tease RBNY fans that the name can’t hide a New Jersey address, so too do Dodger fans like to remind the red caps that they’re the LA suburbs, not LA proper. 

The LA Rams kept the LA name upon moving to Anaheim. So the precedent was set back then, that you could call a team in Anaheim by the "LA" name.

And of course the North Stars almost moved to Anaheim in the early 90s. They were going to be the Los Angeles Stars.

So let's say that happened. And we have the Los Angeles Stars playing in Anaheim. The "Anaheim" name that was normalized with the Mighty Ducks isn't used. Do any of us have that much of an issue with an Anaheim-based team using the name "Los Angeles"?

I think it seems weird because we were all so conditioned after 40 previous years of them NOT being Los Angeles. 30 years of California, sure. Switching to Anaheim for 10 years, a little weird but makes sense. Switching to LA while playing the same old stadium was just a hard thing to get used to, and I'd be the anti-LAA crowd would be less vocal if it were a brand-new team starting up there. (The whole "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" thing didn't help anyone's cause to be taken seriously, either.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Assume space travel is just as efficient as driving / mass transit is now, and intra planetary travel (including local moons) is just as easy as driving to the mall.

• There's people living on every planet and moon of our solar system.
  • There's a league where there's one or more teams that represent each planet of our solarsystem.
  • Earth has two teams
    • Team A plays in Tokyo, we'll call them the "Earth Ham Fighters"
    • Team B plays on the Moon.
      • Should / could Team B be called the Moon Marinerzz?  Or the Earth Marinerzz?
  • Jupiter has only one team, but it plays on Io.  Can that team be named Jupiter 84679951 (the area code there)?  Or would it have to be named Io 84679951?

I'd argue in either case that naming the moon teams after the planets is the right thing to do, because 

• The moons have no meaning or name value to anyone outside of their immediate local planetary area
  • The planet has the gravitational pull that keeps the moon in orbit - the moon couldn't function independently, and has little gravitational pull of its own.

LA is Jupiter

Anaheim is Io.

Anaheim has no significant MSA that I'm aware of.  Without the LA MSA, it would be a small market.  It needs the rest of the LA MSA to be viable, much like a moon.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Anaheim has no significant MSA that I'm aware of.  Without the LA MSA, it would be a small market.  It needs the rest of the LA MSA to be viable, much like a moon.

You totally lost me, but pulled it out at the end. Take your Like. 

7 hours ago, Digby said:

I think it seems weird because we were all so conditioned after 40 previous years of them NOT being Los Angeles. 30 years of California, sure. Switching to Anaheim for 10 years, a little weird but makes sense. Switching to LA while playing the same old stadium was just a hard thing to get used to, and I'd be the anti-LAA crowd would be less vocal if it were a brand-new team starting up there. (The whole "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" thing didn't help anyone's cause to be taken seriously, either.)

This is it, really.

If they had been the LA Angels through and through since the original move to Anaheim Stadium, there would be zero issues whatsoever. That’s just what they’d be. As Ice Cap evidenced with the Rams move. (Would the Ducks be the Anaheim Ducks or the LA Ducks? I’m not sure, because of the Disney influence. Mighty Ducks of Los Angeles is a weird one.)

But the Angels changed, separating from LA. And changed again, localizing to Anaheim. To jump backwards over those two things and over 40 years is difficult.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived