Jacksonville Dolphins Unveil Bold New Logos, Colours

Jacksonville Dolphins Unveil Bold New Logos, Colours

August 28, 2018 - 16:13 PM

The Jacksonville University Dolphins today unveiled their entire new set of logos at Swisher Gymnasium, the home court of both their men’s and women’s basketball teams. Designed by Joe Bosack & Co., the new marks highlight the pride the Dolphins […]

Read More...

13 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

Bosack hit this one out of the park.

Agreed.  I especially love the reverse arched "Jacksonville" in the primary.  It's a great nod to the Artis Gilmore uniforms without being too obvious.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

11 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

Bosack hit this one out of the park.

This is definitely some of his finer efforts.  I love the gold under the JU and how it looks with the gold "surfboard" shape that sorta creates the bottom of the dolphin.

I also really like how the letters are just single color.  A lot of restraint was shown, and it payed off.

The "N" in JACKSONVILLE kind of annoys me though, since it's spike points left, but the spikes on the right side of the wordmark point right.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, Placebo said:

That old logo with the Dolphin hung up on the letters was not good.

Hot take. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Its cool... of course an upgrade, well-rendered, subjectively meaningful, and all that... just playing devil's advocate, we will look back on this minimalist era for sports design as a bit more gimmicky and "sign of the times" than most people realize right now... I think its easy for designers to fall down this wormhole, but, through the process of simplification, distinguishable and identifiable elements of logos/identities are becoming more subtle and less accessible. For example, its cool that the wordmark curves to match the old basketball jerseys... is that actually "meaningful" or a clumsily ornate & obscure detail that not even most JU students would recognize without prompting?

There are a lot of poorly-rendered, gaudy logos out there that still need replacing, but some of them end up a bit "overcorrected" and lose all their kitsch, which is the hallmark of college sports identities, IMO. The pursuit of "polished" is causing a fair amount of inadvertent whitewashing in this field.

I can appreciate your perspective C-Squared, but I would disagree with the premise. Less complex, uncluttered logos may one day feel like a trend of sports design in the twenty-teens, who knows, but simple, icon based, letter driven logos have endured at all levels of sport. I believe that visual brand identity, in any capacity, should not only reflect it's respective subject in the here and now, but also be aspirational for the future. Sports design of the 90's and early 2000's tried to tell the whole story, on the surface without anything left to the interpretation of the viewer. Because of that, designers should resist the temptation of trend, or design for a specific shelf life, and maintain a long view. As the famous logo designer Michael Beirut has said, "no logo is timeless the first time you see it", and time will tell at JU.

What's more is that simple design is far more difficult to get right. There's a challenge in building with less and when the pieces fall into place and you find it, the results are magic.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and perspective, I can always respect a dissenting view when well though and well presented. 

2 hours ago, Joe said:

I can appreciate your perspective C-Squared, but I would disagree with the premise. Less complex, uncluttered logos may one day feel like a trend of sports design in the twenty-teens, who knows, but simple, icon based, letter driven logos have endured at all levels of sport. I believe that visual brand identity, in any capacity, should not only reflect it's respective subject in the here and now, but also be aspirational for the future. Sports design of the 90's and early 2000's tried to tell the whole story, on the surface without anything left to the interpretation of the viewer. Because of that, designers should resist the temptation of trend, or design for a specific shelf life, and maintain a long view. As the famous logo designer Michael Beirut has said, "no logo is timeless the first time you see it", and time will tell at JU.

What's more is that simple design is far more difficult to get right. There's a challenge in building with less and when the pieces fall into place and you find it, the results are magic.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and perspective, I can always respect a dissenting view when well though and well presented. 

I appreciate it! This identity itself is sharp, I just drifted to a half-related tangent :)

Last-gen 00's NCAA logos were definitely gaudy & cartoonish - usually well rendered, but often a bit cluttered. This current wave is well-rendered first and foremost, but can also over-correct towards indistinct and ornate. I question how well current trends capture the identities these logos were designed to represent & how many wash that identity away to fit those trends. I even question how many schools want a long-term cohesive design. When school reps use terms like "enhance our brand perception" & "raise the profile of our university," it sounds like they want to follow whichever trend manufactures the perception of legitimacy, which always seems to change every 10-15 years.

I think next-gen NCAA logos will shift back a bit towards unique identity expression over rote standardization. It really is great to see well-rendered & thoughtful work get the spotlight it deserves, though.

On 8/28/2018 at 11:46 AM, Mac the Knife said:

Man, for a minute I thought that from out of nowhere we had an NFL-like Cleveland Barons/Minnesota North Stars on our hands.

Yeah, I really wish some of these smaller schools would consider changing their generic nicknames.  Especially when it's the name of an NFL team in their own state.

2 hours ago, NicDB said:

Yeah, I really wish some of these smaller schools would consider changing their generic nicknames.  Especially when it's the name of an NFL team in their own state.

The thing is, though, as it relates to collegiate sports, Dolphins is a unique nickname.

There are a grand total of four NCAA schools that use that nickname: Jacksonville, Le Moyne (Division II), College of Staten Island (Division III), and College of Mount St. Vincent (Division III). There are five community colleges that use it, and then Cal State-Channel Islands that has no athletics.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

11 hours ago, C-Squared said:

Its cool... of course an upgrade, well-rendered, subjectively meaningful, and all that... just playing devil's advocate, we will look back on this minimalist era for sports design as a bit more gimmicky and "sign of the times" than most people realize right now... I think its easy for designers to fall down this wormhole, but, through the process of simplification, distinguishable and identifiable elements of logos/identities are becoming more subtle and less accessible. For example, its cool that the wordmark curves to match the old basketball jerseys... is that actually "meaningful" or a clumsily ornate & obscure detail that not even most JU students would recognize without prompting?

There are a lot of poorly-rendered, gaudy logos out there that still need replacing, but some of them end up a bit "overcorrected" and lose all their kitsch, which is the hallmark of college sports identities, IMO. The pursuit of "polished" is causing a fair amount of inadvertent whitewashing in this field.

If anything, I see the the current “minimalist trend” as a return to the processes and techniques that built so many of those great identities. Are there really any great college identities that are more complex than this one? When I think of a great college identity, all the ones that come to mind are ultra-simple, much simpler than this, even. Any identity can be supplemented with a wacky cartoon with loads of character, but its most effective being just that; support. It’s not flexible enough to build a brand around, which is why you see that approach going away.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived