Carolina Hurricanes Ask Fans For Help With New Logo

Carolina Hurricanes Ask Fans For Help With New Logo

August 30, 2018 - 18:48 PM

The Carolina Hurricanes are looking for a new logo, and they’re turning to you for help. Team owner Tom Dundon, who has already made a lot of hockey fans happy with his seeming love for the Hartford Whalers chapter of […]

Read More...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do team mess with their identity and main logo?

You made your choice, now keep it. Look at the Rangers logo, looks outdated for sure, but would anyone dare to change it, no!

You made your choice, now stick with it though the good times and bad.  That is how uniform and logos end up as classics, not be changing everything every 10 years or so. Hurricanes had the right uniforms right from the start, and there is nothing wrong with their logo, it's a hurricane with a puck in the middle. 

12 hours ago, skip88 said:

Why do team mess with their identity and main logo?

You made your choice, now keep it. Look at the Rangers logo, looks outdated for sure, but would anyone dare to change it, no!

You made your choice, now stick with it though the good times and bad.  That is how uniform and logos end up as classics, not be changing everything every 10 years or so. Hurricanes had the right uniforms right from the start, and there is nothing wrong with their logo, it's a hurricane with a puck in the middle. 

I would definitely dare to change it. The Rangers’ logo has greatly devolved after decades of reproduction (and reproductions of the reproductions) to the point that the official artwork that exists today is a shell of what it originally looked like. Going back to the originals and creating new art would be a big step up in quality.

if you’re not a classic team like that, though, I don’t see anything wrong with changing your mark, especially if it’s not very strong or if people don’t seem to love it. Maybe new owners come in and  they don’t like what the original or previous owner chose. If you buy the Rangers or Bruins, sure, tread lightly because there’s nearly a century of hockey history behind those identities, but there’s not much history or passion behind the Hurricanes’ identity, so if you have an opportunity to make it better or improve it this early in the brand’s life, it’s smart to take that opportunity sooner rather than later.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I’ve got a better one. ;) 

9zt534ipbfprlfs2vsqfugw41.png

If you want it on a green or blue background, look to the top left:

6a0133ee99c85a970b0147e2c7e3a1970b-pi

Royal outlines looked terrible on the green background, likewise with green on blue. Green bottom/blue top should always be the colorway on it.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

If you want it on a green or blue background, look to the top left:

6a0133ee99c85a970b0147e2c7e3a1970b-pi

Royal outlines looked terrible on the green background, likewise with green on blue. Green bottom/blue top should always be the colorway on it.

I agree: never needed the all-white version.   Just put a white keyline around it.  Done.  Just no silver. 

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I would definitely dare to change it. The Rangers’ logo has greatly devolved after decades of reproduction (and reproductions of the reproductions) to the point that the official artwork that exists today is a shell of what it originally looked like. Going back to the originals and creating new art would be a big step up in quality.

if you’re not a classic team like that, though, I don’t see anything wrong with changing your mark, especially if it’s not very strong or if people don’t seem to love it. Maybe new owners come in and  they don’t like what the original or previous owner chose. If you buy the Rangers or Bruins, sure, tread lightly because there’s nearly a century of hockey history behind those identities, but there’s not much history or passion behind the Hurricanes’ identity, so if you have an opportunity to make it better or improve it this early in the brand’s life, it’s smart to take that opportunity sooner rather than later.

Agreed. They should embrace the freedom to deviate while they can. 

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Someone here did the Rangers shield with the letters from the sweaters and I can't think of any reason not to use that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

57 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I agree: never needed the all-white version.   Just put a white keyline around it.  Done.  Just no silver. 

I like silver as a tertiary color for the Whalers because it can double as a "whale grey." Plus, if the Canucks are locked into royal blue and kelly green, then a navy/kelly/silver scheme sets them off a little more.

16 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

No, but time would see to that, if you didn't mess with it.  That is how time works.

1 hour ago, skip88 said:

No, but time would see to that, if you didn't mess with it.  That is how time works.

Yeah, but a design working for that long and the team staying in place for that long are also sort of necessary. Otherwise, the team gets a new identity when they move, or some yahoo changes things up when he buys the club because things have gotten stagnant. That's also how time works.

6 hours ago, skip88 said:

I would probably agree... if this were 1930 and there were 6 teams in the league and terms like graphic design, licensed merchandise, marketing, social media didn’t yet exist.

Unfortunately, that is not how time works today. It’s much more complex.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

IIRC, the Hurricanes name was done by Peter Karmanos, he napkin-sketched the logo, and judging by that weird little sliver of white in the middle, whoever did it in Illustrator wasn't much better. There's nothing behind that identity but inertia.

Anyway, prediction time: the free crowdsourced logo the team chooses will have a negative-space H for "Hurricanes" but also "Hartford" to honor their history, and then there will be some esoteric symbol of Raleigh that no one recognizes because Raleigh doesn't mean anything to anyone anywhere else.

Archived