NFL REDESIGN (NFC North 3/20)

nate.sweitz

This is hands down my favorite Texans concept I’ve ever seen. I think you finally solved them. The logo is absolutely genius, I love everything about it. I like the navy helmet better, but I would add a red pants option that could go with the away and the alternate (and the home for Color Rush or “Battle Red” I guess), to better keep the red/navy codominance. With that addition, this is a set that could have a lot of good mix-and-match combos. Overall, terrific job!

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Love the red primaries. I'd really like for any red/blue NFL team to make red the star, but whatever, I guess. Very, very big on the blue helmet. Very well done!

Yeah, it bothers me a bit too that no NFL team is red primary and blue secondary. Honestly, I like (royal or sky) blue better than red anyway, but you would think at least one team would be different.

On 1/9/2019 at 11:41 PM, MJD7 said:

This is hands down my favorite Texans concept I’ve ever seen. I think you finally solved them. The logo is absolutely genius, I love everything about it. I like the navy helmet better, but I would add a red pants option that could go with the away and the alternate (and the home for Color Rush or “Battle Red” I guess), to better keep the red/navy codominance. With that addition, this is a set that could have a lot of good mix-and-match combos. Overall, terrific job!

Agreed. I know you were trying to do something with the logo, resembling a steer, but the logo is good enough that its abstract form brings the point home.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

On 1/9/2019 at 10:44 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

Love the red primaries. I'd really like for any red/blue NFL team to make red the star, but whatever, I guess. Very, very big on the blue helmet. Very well done!

On 1/9/2019 at 11:41 PM, MJD7 said:

On 1/10/2019 at 3:46 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

Texans look great, only tweak I see for the logo is to remove the spurs on the outside of the H. Just have the crossbar inside the H to form the eyes and it will read more like a steer head. Uniforms look amazing, one of your best overall concepts!

On 1/10/2019 at 3:52 PM, seasaltvanilla said:

Agreed that the blue helmet works best, and the logo is excellent. I notice no TV numbers but in the age of HDTV and multiple camera angles I don't think they're necessary.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm going with the blue helmet for the final. I'm keeping the spurs on the logo so it's consistent with the number font, and I went with no TV numbers so the flag pattern would really stand out. Here are a couple other jersey options as requested.

Texans-combos.jpg

Texans-combos-2.jpg

On 12/30/2018 at 3:09 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

really like this green and it pairs well with the silver. overall its a very nice uniform anf feels like an evolution of the Eagles. just a few things to tighten up here

im not crazy about the wings on the helmet. this might be too much of a departure from what they've always done. i think with this team thats something you want to respect and this feels closer to Oregon. looking at the stripes and number font, its very geometric; straight lines and sharp points. with the helmet wings though, the shapes are more feather-y and flowing, built on curves. i think if you rework the wings to resemble something a little more "Eagles" and build them with the same shapes/lines as you have the stripes and numbers, everything will tie into each other very nicely.

for the pants, i dont think you need to change the stripe from the green to white versions. take the jerseys for example: the stripes never change and the background (sleeves) stay consistent on each one. treat the pants stripe the same way. i think the green version is the better of the 2, they reflect the socks and jersey perfectly. maybe think about gray pants too? could look really nice

on the wordmark, clean up the kerning there; the spaces between the letters. theres a big gap between L-A and L-P in Philadelphia. in Eagles, G-L looks too tight. just make sure all those spaces look the same

Thanks for the C+C. Good catch. I adjusted the kerning a little and threw in some grey pants, which really complete the throwback vibe of this set. 

You've got a good point with the wings. It could probably stand to be a little less Oregon-ish. I'll get to it if I can, but for now, I'm leaving it as is.

I tried your proposed striping idea and it was a decent look, but a little too busy. It kinda distracted from the rest of the set, and I decided that it was more important to emphasize other details for the sake of this concept.

Eagles-New.jpg

Next up, the final team in the series, the Las Vegas Raiders!

Since the Raiders have likely played their last snap in Oakland, I decided to look to the future for this concept.

The logo is a streamlining of their classic mark. I went with cleaner, bolder lines, and took out the 'Raiders' script, though it still appears in the alternate logo.

The custom number font is inspired by the wordmark. It's a more modern take on the Raiders to usher in their new era in Vegas.

Silver numbers replace black on the away uniform, inspired by their excellent AFL throwbacks.

Color rush pants come back to be worn for a couple of night games a year.

C+C is appreciated!

Raiders-new.jpg

Congrats on the great series.  It's difficult to get through a whole league and have solid redesigns for 32 teams, so kudos on that. 

For the Raiders, I'm a little confused by the lines on the cheekbones.  It makes the raider character look awfully gaunt.  I really like the custom number font, but (and this is a personal gripe of mine) I've seen that wordmark font in far too many different places (restaurants, breweries, etc.) for me to like it applied to the Raiders. 

1 hour ago, scottyeagle said:

Congrats on the great series.  It's difficult to get through a whole league and have solid redesigns for 32 teams, so kudos on that. 

For the Raiders, I'm a little confused by the lines on the cheekbones.  It makes the raider character look awfully gaunt.  I really like the custom number font, but (and this is a personal gripe of mine) I've seen that wordmark font in far too many different places (restaurants, breweries, etc.) for me to like it applied to the Raiders. 

Yeah the face looked really flat without the cheekbone marks. Might be overkill but it gives the face some much-needed definition.

As far as the wordmark goes, you're absolutely right. In all fairness, I put this together almost a year ago before it had been co-opted by every meat market in existence. 

As of this moment, I am actively searching for alternatives.

18 hours ago, nate.sweitz said:

Next up, the final team in the series, the Las Vegas Raiders!

Since the Raiders have likely played their last snap in Oakland, I decided to look to the future for this concept.

The logo is a streamlining of their classic mark. I went with cleaner, bolder lines, and took out the 'Raiders' script, though it still appears in the alternate logo.

The custom number font is inspired by the wordmark. It's a more modern take on the Raiders to usher in their new era in Vegas.

Silver numbers replace black on the away uniform, inspired by their excellent AFL throwbacks.

Color rush pants come back to be worn for a couple of night games a year.

C+C is appreciated!

Raiders-new.jpg

Beautiful! Maybe.... maybe.... add a pair of black pants for a home night game? Otherwise, it's what the Raiders should always look like. Love the new fonts too.

4 minutes ago, Darth Brooks said:

Was there any specific reason you dropped the "E" from the logo? 

Just to clear space for the bell. But I've never been a huge fan of hiding the first letter of the nickname in the logo. It can work with the first letter of the city, but it always felt redundant to me to have an eagle with a hidden 'E' or a falcon with a hidden 'F.'

I absolutely love the custom font for the Raiders. It’s sleek and modern, but still feels as timeless as a block font. I also think you cleaned up the face well in the logo. 

I do think your alternate mark should remain the primary, though, and I’d be interested in the road uniform still having black numbers with a gray stroke (I go back and forth over which I like better, but often feel the old AFL style numbers mean the road set doesn’t have enough black). In that case, I’d make the road set with the gray number an alternate for road games against old AFL foes. 

Those are just personal preferences though. Doesn’t diminish your excellent work in any way. 

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I'll be going back and tying up a few loose ends over the next couple weeks.

First, an update to the Bears. I made the mistake of trying to reinvent the wheel with my hometown team when in reality they'd be better off with some subtle streamlining and modernization.

For the primary logo, I updated their classic Bear logo. I never really realized how much of a mess it was until I looked at it this closely.

Bears-logo-comparisons.jpg

I really wanted to slap this bad boy on the helmets, but there's no replacing the wishbone C. I made the decision remove the C's white stroke, and did the same for the sleeve stripes. This gives the identity more of a 'Monsters of the Midway' vibe, which honors tradition while still feeling fresh. 

I kept the 1936 throwback as an alternate. I really love those shoulder stripes, even if they're a little too much for a full-time look.

Let me know what you think!

Bears-new-logo.jpg

That’s awesome. The number font is very unique and also has a vintage/old school feel, which is perfect for the bears.

Your new front facing bear is great too. It’s a nice, clean update of the classic logo. My only criticism of it would be that it might be a bit too clean and contemporary for the Bears’ brand.

My one gripe about the uniform themselves is with the stripes on the blue pants. Maybe flip them so they’re white/orange/white, “matching” the jersey stripes.

Randomly stumbled into this and did a quick look through all of them. Wow dude, you have some serious talent. There are some very fresh takes on logos people consider timeless, and i applaud you for going there. Some that stood out as being very very good were - Packers, Steelers, Texans, Colts, Raiders, Bears, Cowboys. The Panthers C eye would be a great alt logo for sideline caps and stuff. Also the Falcons sleeve design is executed very well. 

Love your LA stuff, especially the letter mark. Did you ever tinker with a front facing Rams logo? I have a thing for symmetric logos for hats, and other than the Dodge Ram logo, I haven't really seen any front facing Rams logos that work. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 4:14 PM, nate.sweitz said:

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Next up, the New England Patriots!

My goal here was to bring back some visual elements from their history without completely disregarding their dynasty era look.

The logo is somewhat of a compromise between Flying Elvis, Pat the Patriot, and their original tricorne helmet logo. It has a pretty unique profile, with the negative space on the bottom left formed by an implied jacket collar. I'm interested to hear whether you think that works or not. (It also kinda looks like Brady, so that's a bonus)

The American Flag-inspired striping pattern on the logo is reinforced on the uniforms. 

The number font is inspired by their current wordmark. The spurs on the numbers also subtly reference stars, reinforcing the 'stars and stripes' motif on the uniforms.

I also gave them a new 'NE' lockup logo, which appears on the pants.

Let me know what you think! I love the home uniform but I'm not 100% sure the away set works as well. I'd love to hear any ideas you guys have regarding that especially.

Patriots.jpg

I love the silver. It's one of my favorite parts of New England's current identity. I would consider placing more silver in the body of the jersey, whether it be in the piping or an outline around the numbers. This is a fantastic series.

St. Joseph of Arimathea, Pray for Us

"Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God." Mt 27:54

Archived