NFL REDESIGN (NFC North 3/20)

nate.sweitz

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback.

50 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I felt personally the design elements were way too modern (gradients, no, no)

design overall felt too gloomy (which makes sense, but still)

I get the criticism here. Gradients aren't something I would normally advocate for, but I think they could be an ownable element for the Ravens.

Next up, the Miami Dolphins!

This is essentially a compromise between their inaugural look and their current threads.

For the logo, I wanted to combine the sleek design of their current logo with the personality of their former. 

The numbers are a mix between their current font and a traditional block. On the road uni, they're teal with a single orange outline, even though it looks like there's a darker color in between because of the pixellation.

The sleeve striping takes cues from the logo. It can be a sun. It can be water. Either way, it screams Miami.

Speaking of Miami, I threw in a "South Beach" alt. I played with the idea of City Edition uniforms for the NFL during this series, as seen with Seattle.

For the "South Beach" alt, pink replaces orange and black is added as an accent. I might put together a full set with these colors later on in the series.

C+C is appreciated. Enjoy!

Dolphins.jpg

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its really cool to see someone with such a strong understanding of each team's identity also be able to execute logical extensions of those identities... nothing is overly "out there," yet everything feels a bit unique from anything I've seen on this site... so much attention to detail & maybe the first new Ravens logo that feels like a realistic next step for the franchise.

The Dolphins set is just clean and perfect!  Always love the south beach color scheme.

For the Seahawks, love both of the color scheme, but when I see that number font for the first time, I thought it fits Dolphins better lol. Maybe it looks like the dolphin's tail...

Really enjoying this concept, looking forward to the next team!

On 9/20/2018 at 3:10 PM, C-Squared said:

Its really cool to see someone with such a strong understanding of each team's identity also be able to execute logical extensions of those identities... nothing is overly "out there," yet everything feels a bit unique from anything I've seen on this site... so much attention to detail & maybe the first new Ravens logo that feels like a realistic next step for the franchise.

Dang thanks, man. That's some high praise. I appreciate it.

On 9/20/2018 at 4:46 PM, RealSkillsAbraham said:

Is the alternate supposed to be pink? If so, cool

Yep! 

On 9/21/2018 at 9:50 AM, ahowe6464 said:

The Dolphins are one of those teams that I'd want to keep as simple as possible (which makes their all-white set gorgeous). That being said, I really like what you did by keeping it simple yet unique. And the South Beach alt is fantastic

Thanks!

On 9/21/2018 at 10:51 AM, slikye1 said:

The Dolphins set is just clean and perfect!  Always love the south beach color scheme.

For the Seahawks, love both of the color scheme, but when I see that number font for the first time, I thought it fits Dolphins better lol. Maybe it looks like the dolphin's tail...

Really enjoying this concept, looking forward to the next team!

Thanks for the feedback dude. I do see the dolphin tail! That font could definitely work for either team.

Next up, the Denver Broncos!

The Broncos probably had my favorite uniforms in the league when I was 10, but since then they've aged significantly. My goal here was to preserve the clean aesthetic of their current threads but take it in a different direction.

Simply taking their color rush and applying it to the rest of the set makes a whole lot of sense, but we've all seen that a million times already so I'm trying something a little different with the uniforms. I'm going for a set that looks traditional from afar, and modern up close. The sleeve design takes cues from the horse's mane.

It's really hard to improve upon their current logo, which is one of the best in the league. I don't think mine's quite there, but I think its serviceable. If you want to imagine their current logo on the helmet, I won't stop you. My initial thought was to modernize their classic 'D' logo, but I think the head logo works better for this particular set. I kept the updated 'D' as an alternate.

The font is my own version of their current numerals. It's a modified version of 'Homestead'.

Let me know what you think! I'm open to ideas.

Broncos.jpg

15 hours ago, ATolly66 said:

It's hard to see the orange hair on the home sleeves. Trying making the sleeves white, with the orange hair. 

14 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Or maybe blue hair with white outlines, since I think white sleeve caps would look odd. And it would create an inverse effect of the blue jersey.

12 hours ago, HoopsCoach55 said:

How about navy sleeve caps on the orange and white jerseys to match the navy jersey? Keeps the hair and white stripe over the cuff the same on all three tops as well as making it easier to see.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I tried out all your ideas and the sleeve caps ended up being the only workable option. I'm not sure which one I like better, but I'm leaning toward the original. I'd love to hear it if you have a compelling case for either option.

Broncos_sleeve_caps.jpg

Next up, the Jacksonville Jaguars!

The Jags have been around for less than 25 years and have already had several different looks. My goal here was to combine aspects from all of them to create one cohesive identity that could unite multiple generations of Jags fans. There's a lot going on here so I'll break it down.

The new primary logo is a synthesis of their past two logos. It keeps the bold lines and movement from the original, with some of the refinements of their current. I threw in an updated shield logo for good measure. 

Helmets are glossy with subtle teal flakes. Think of it as the midpoint between their current helmets and their '09-12 helmets. 

Sleeve striping is a modern take on their '95-08 striping. The collars from their past two looks, a distinct and ownable element, return to the jerseys.

Jersey numbers are a compromise between their past two number fonts. Modern and sharp, but tasteful and readable. 

Pants are inspired from their '13-'17 pants. I liked their color distribution, but the execution was a little clunky. Pants striping is consistent with the uniforms.

Socks are basically their current socks, adjusted for consistency.

Jerseys and pants can be mixed and matched. I put together some of the other options we'd see the most of. I don't usually go for mono black jerseys, but I'd love to see this one once or twice a year.

Let me know what you think!

Jaguars.jpg

Jags_jersey_combos.jpg 

2 hours ago, nate.sweitz said:

Next up, the Jacksonville Jaguars!

The Jags have been and readable...Let me know what you think!

Jaguars.jpg

Jags_jersey_combos.jpg 

This is excellent. If only you brought back the full bodied Jaguar; it'd make this perfect.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

On 9/9/2018 at 6:07 PM, nate.sweitz said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll be posting updates periodically.

Next up, fresh off their week 1 upset, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers!

I have to admit, I don't hate their current threads as much as everyone on these boards seems to. I like the addition of silver and the color blocking, but the execution was lacking in a few areas, namely the numbers. So instead of completely scrapping the look, I'm attempting to build off of it.

Sword-like imagery is my main design element here, featured in the striping, numbers, and reinforced in the logos. The logo set is very similar to their current ones, but I think I made some significant improvements. I constructed it with bolder, more organic lines, and I think the skull ended up a lot more menacing and visually interesting. An updated ship logo, originally intended to be the primary, is featured on the pants.

Black is removed from all logos. Orange is relegated to logos-only.

I also put together an all-white set to suit Tampa's climate. White pants could be paired with the red jersey a couple times a year to mix it up.

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

Buccaneers_New.jpg

I think this is overall a fantastic concept. I like the font the most.

On 9/16/2018 at 11:25 AM, nate.sweitz said:

Next up, the Seattle Seahawks!

Going for a tasteful modern look here. I wanted to keep the essence of the team's identity, i.e. custom fonts, creative striping, emphasis on grey, but take it in a different direction.

The logo is a simplification of their current logo, designed to match the jersey striping.

The custom number font takes cues from traditional Haida art. I like that their 2012 rebrand attempted to incorporate some traditional Pacific Northwest imagery into the sleeve striping, but the addition of volt negated most of that effect. Volt is out, replaced by the teal of the Seattle flag. I've also prepared a version that uses an Emerald green that fits the city as well.

C+C appreciated!

Seahawks_City_Blue.jpg

Seahawks_Emerald_Green.jpg

I think this is another great set. Both of them.

Much like the Vikings logo though, I am too big a fan of their current logos that anything other than those are hard for me to get on board with.

Me personally, I hate that number font they used and like the newer one better, I like the updated jaguar head and the combinations. Although you balanced out the gold more the striping seems off? Maybe make it go all the way around the sleeve? Or maybe adding the full body

logo, ala their 90s uniforms (which I’m a sucker for if it isn’t apparent) otherwise, looks good! I really do appreciate the color balance the longer I look at it lol

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

6 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Me personally, I hate that number font they used and like the newer one better, I like the updated jaguar head and the combinations. Although you balanced out the gold more the striping seems off? Maybe make it go all the way around the sleeve? Or maybe adding the full body

logo, ala their 90s uniforms (which I’m a sucker for if it isn’t apparent) otherwise, looks good! I really do appreciate the color balance the longer I look at it lol

Thanks for the feedback. If you look a little closer at the number font I created, the forms are almost nothing like the '13-17 font. It shares more similarities with their new block font. The only significant difference is the addition of diagonal serifs, which is the only thing that differentiates the numbers from the other block fonts I created. The serifs that I made are also a lot less dramatic than the old numbers. Here's a comparison:

FB_NFL-_Jacksonville-_Jaguars0.png

6_8321510.png

Screen_Shot_2018-09-25_at_8.35.43_AM.png

To someone not really caring a whole lot, those jags and bucs number fonts look kinda similar from a distance. Something to keep in mind if you’re tryna make each team unique. I understand the differences in the jerseys and the colors and whatnot, but the numbers, minus the weird blue jays thing on the bucs one, look pretty similar.

The Dolphins are a well-done combination of retro and modern. The sun striping's strange but fun. Good work there!

Your Broncos head logo is a big improvement over their current logo. I think the blue sleeve caps are the best way to make the mane striping work, but something feels off about the concept in general. The D logo horse's legs and torso have weirdly-weighted outlines. Needs some work.

The Jaguars update is really amazing. Logo is a perfect combination of the old and new. With the cool striping and colors, you really elevate their new font. I'd do black/teal/black at home, black/white/teal away, and all-black third. 

Really outstanding work!

W O W

These are all amazing. The Jaguars update is what they should have done irl. The Dolphins is an almost perfect modernization of their 2000s logo. Ravens logo looks outstanding. The Jets, Rams, and Colts are all great updates and modernization. I love the logo you did for the Bucs as well, pretty outstanding. I don't think I have any suggestions because these are all near perfect. Amazing job, keep it up. 

Archived