NFL REDESIGN (NFC North 3/20)

nate.sweitz

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

On 11/27/2018 at 6:40 PM, scottyeagle said:

That sock stripe is killer.  Any chance we can see a yellow pants option?  *Ducks*

I'll add some other combos to the original post. I think yellow pants are more of a Rams thing, but I wouldn't mind seeing them on the Chargers a couple times a year as a callback to their history.

22 hours ago, buckeye said:

I would love to see a side by side comparison of your logos and the leagues current logos. One of the best series on these boards!

Thanks! I'll put one together at the end.

Next up, the Washington Redskins!

While I doubt they're ever changing their name under the Snyder regime, I think removing the Indian head (which isn't particularly well-rendered anyway) is a logical step for the franchise. (This would also allow for a seamless transition to Renegades or Redhawks or what-have-you, if that's the eventual route they go)

In its place is a new R logo. Its simple, inoffensive and has a lot more character the Cleveland Indians' block C.

The helmets feature the new R, with a feather in place of a stripe, like they had in the 60's, but running front-to-back this time. The alternate helmet features a modernization of the old spear decal. 

The uniforms aren't too much of a departure from their current threads. A sharp new block font replaces the standard block.

Yellow pants could be substituted for the primary pants a few times a year. I prefer the burgundy-over-white look, but I like the yellow as a change of pace.

I also made the burgundy a couple shades darker to better contrast the gold. The scripts are an adjusted version of the Parkside typeface.

Let me know what you think!

Redskins.jpg

Redskins-jersey-combos.jpg

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

I love it as well, however I would try to place an outline on the numbers, just like the current numbers have. I don't like the recent trend of dropping outlines on the numbers of jerseys. 

That's what I had originally, but it matched the feather on the helmet better without the outline. Since the point of the number font was to reflect the sharp angles and edges of the feather, I think it's important to the cohesiveness of the set that they match.

4 hours ago, nate.sweitz said:

I'll add some other combos to the original post. I think yellow pants are more of a Rams thing, but I wouldn't mind seeing them on the Chargers a couple times a year as a callback to their history.

While I doubt they're ever changing their name under the Snyder regime, I think removing the Indian head (which isn't particularly well-rendered anyway) is a logical step for the franchise. (This would also allow for a seamless transition to Renegades or Redhawks or what-have-you, if that's the eventual route they go)

In its place is a new R logo. Its simple, inoffensive and has a lot more character the Cleveland Indians' block C.

The helmets feature the new R, with a feather in place of a stripe, like they had in the 60's, but running front-to-back this time. The alternate helmet features a modernization of the old spear decal. 

The uniforms aren't too much of a departure from their current threads. A sharp new block font replaces the standard block.

Yellow pants could be substituted for the primary pants a few times a year. I prefer the burgundy-over-white look, but I like the yellow as a change of pace.

I also made the burgundy a couple shades darker to better contrast the gold. The scripts are an adjusted version of the Parkside typeface.

Redskins.jpg

This to me is exactly what the Redskins should move to if they decide to keep their nickname. Excellent work!

sms.gif

7 hours ago, nate.sweitz said:

Redskins.jpg

Love it! Any thought to a yellow alternate? I think it could be a good look against teams that go white at home.

On 11/29/2018 at 11:29 AM, ahowe6464 said:

Love Washington. That helmet stripe is amazing

Agreed. I'm a big fan of the old feather stripe helmet and never even thought of reversing the direction of the feather. I really like that element on this concept.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

Next up, the New England Patriots!

My goal here was to bring back some visual elements from their history without completely disregarding their dynasty era look.

The logo is somewhat of a compromise between Flying Elvis, Pat the Patriot, and their original tricorne helmet logo. It has a pretty unique profile, with the negative space on the bottom left formed by an implied jacket collar. I'm interested to hear whether you think that works or not. (It also kinda looks like Brady, so that's a bonus)

The American Flag-inspired striping pattern on the logo is reinforced on the uniforms. 

The number font is inspired by their current wordmark. The spurs on the numbers also subtly reference stars, reinforcing the 'stars and stripes' motif on the uniforms.

I also gave them a new 'NE' lockup logo, which appears on the pants.

Let me know what you think! I love the home uniform but I'm not 100% sure the away set works as well. I'd love to hear any ideas you guys have regarding that especially.

Patriots.jpg

I like the new logo! But silvers got to go in my book does nothing to the design it only works at home and still there is much prefer white. Outside of that I’m not sure how to feel. While the number fonts an upgrade I’m not the biggest fan, if it were me I’d copy most of the elements from their color rush, it’s their best look, except for the silver helmet

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Uniform design is great, but the logo feels too blobby and undefined to me. It takes me a second to register what it is every time I look at it (and I'm not sure what the red and white stripes are?) I like the attempt to combine aspects of each old logo but it for me it didn't work out.

Redskins are great, especially the new helmet logo.

If you’re looking for ways to possibly improve the away uniform, I think using a striping pattern similar to the helmet stripe might help. Although silver has become sort of integral to the Patriots’ identity due to their success with it, I think you could afford to remove it in place of white. Either way, this is another great look in one of the best series on the boards!

I get some wanting to move away from the silver, but the Pats have been far too successful in it to whitewash it away... but the same probably goes for their current logo, too. This new logo is objectively well-designed, but feels like a change for the sake of a change. This set altogether is a really nice meshing of several eras!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've been really busy with final projects the last couple of weeks, but now that the semester's done I'll be posting a lot more.

On 12/3/2018 at 5:16 PM, BellaSpurs said:

I like the new logo! But silvers got to go in my book does nothing to the design it only works at home and still there is much prefer white. Outside of that I’m not sure how to feel. While the number fonts an upgrade I’m not the biggest fan, if it were me I’d copy most of the elements from their color rush, it’s their best look, except for the silver helmet

I disagree about the silver. I think they've been too successful in it to toss it aside. The home jersey is basically the color rush but I doubled the stripes so it was more flaggy. I'll put together a concept without the silver though since a lot of people want to see it.

On 12/3/2018 at 8:19 PM, seasaltvanilla said:

Uniform design is great, but the logo feels too blobby and undefined to me. It takes me a second to register what it is every time I look at it (and I'm not sure what the red and white stripes are?) I like the attempt to combine aspects of each old logo but it for me it didn't work out.

Redskins are great, especially the new helmet logo.

Thanks. I appreciate the logo critique. The stripes were intended to reference the American flag but I guess they don't read very well. I agree that it can be improved.

On 12/5/2018 at 7:31 AM, C-Squared said:

I get some wanting to move away from the silver, but the Pats have been far too successful in it to whitewash it away... but the same probably goes for their current logo, too. This new logo is objectively well-designed, but feels like a change for the sake of a change. This set altogether is a really nice meshing of several eras!

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of this series ends up becoming change for the sake of change. Especially as we're nearing the end. The reality is that most of the NFL has really strong logos. But I'm holding myself to try and create new logos for every team as a challenge, whether they're necessary or not.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:57 AM, JB Designs said:

What if you left the shoulders and arms of the white jersey with a blue base and kept the same striping pattern as the Home? Essentially keeping the upper part of the home intact on the road so you can keep the red-and-white flag striping 

I'll try it out. I'm not usually a big yoke guy but that could be a cool solution.

Next up, the Tennessee Titans!

The current Titans update is a disaster, so I built this mostly from their inaugural look. The one idea I kept from their latest overhaul was the sword motif on the shoulders, but I took a different approach to it. The unifying element here is the striping pattern that appears on the sword. It's also reinforced by the inline on the jersey numbering. The number font, which is constructed from the Homestead typeface, is inspired by the sharp angles and circular forms of Greek characters.

The new primary logo features a 'titan' in profile, with the Tennessee flag stars on the side. I think its a well-rendered logo, but I'd love to see if anyone has ideas about how to improve it so it better fits the Titans.

Titans.jpg

Titans_jersey_combos.jpg

It's fantastic logo, but I'd tweak the mouth and eye. It looks more like hes yelling at his mom for taking away his xbox than it does like a battle cry or anything heroic. I love the execution of the sword-yoke.

tinysig.jpg

Much more a fan of the Columbia blue instead of this neon blue, i don’t know what it is but that logo is off, it doesn’t seem professional, I also agree with @Jake3.roo about the mouth. Maybe it’s the curviness and roundness of it that takes away its intimidation. But it needs something. 

Now I think the font is a HUGE upgrade, I love it. The shoulder stripe is an upgrade too, although it loses some of its connection to swords without the silver. I’d love to see the hay pattern transfer to the pants, I think that would look really nice.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Archived