NFL REDESIGN (NFC North 3/20)

nate.sweitz

Thanks for the feedback guys!

On 10/10/2018 at 7:49 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

I'd love to see the same outlining from the orange alternate used on the home and away tops, but otherwise, that's the Browns!

Yeah that's what I had originally, but it was just a little too cluttered, so I went with this version. I'm gonna post it when I release some alternate takes later on in the series. 

On 10/11/2018 at 12:28 PM, VDizzle12 said:

I think I'd prefer the primary away combo to be white over orange, but that's just a personal preference.

On second thought, you're right. The orange pants really pop on the aways. 

On 10/12/2018 at 11:19 AM, BJ Sands said:

I feel like I should love this but it reminds me too much of the original Bengals look (which of course was based on the Browns). Maybe incorporate the current number font with the correct coloring? Still an upgrade on the real thing, however.

I see it. I'm not gonna lie, I forgot that the Bengals inaugural look was such a ripoff of the Browns. My other Browns concept preserves more aspects of their current identity, so it looks a little less like the Browns copying the Bengals copying the Browns. I'll post that one later.

Next up, the Buffalo Bills!

While I like their current identity, I think there are too many white helmet teams. Their red shells were much more distinctive, so I'm bringing 'em back for this concept.

I took a different approach than I usually do with this one, just to shake things up. I started with the logo, a more detailed, menacing buffalo that's charging at you.

I don't think it's necessarily an upgrade over their classic logo, but I wanted to try a completely different style of sports logo than their current logo, and I'm satisfied with how it turned out. I didn't want to add too many blues, but I did throw in a pretty unobtrusive sky blue that's logos-only.

Since the logo ended up pretty burly and detailed, I went with a distinctive number font to complement it. It's a variation of IFC Los Banditos. I went for a western vibe, after the team's double-entendre namesake. It's not a typical football font, but it adds some life to what's otherwise a pretty simple uniform. Plus, quite frankly, I was sick of block fonts.

The uniform striping takes cues from the logo, specifically the banner or motion line or whatever's stuck to the buffalo's horn.

The color balance is such that you could toss out any combination of pants and socks on the road and have a half-decent look. As for the home look, R-B-W-R is ideal, but red pants could work a few times a year, since Nike's thin pants fabric has caused the league to move towards more colored pants, maybe for good reason.

C+C is appreciated!

Bills.jpg

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, nate.sweitz said:

Yeah that's what I had originally, but it was just a little too cluttered, so I went with this version. I'm gonna post it when I release some alternate takes later on in the series. 

I see it. I'm not gonna lie, I forgot that the Bengals inaugural look was such a ripoff of the Browns. My other Browns concept preserves more aspects of their current identity, so it looks a little less like the Browns copying the Bengals copying the Browns. I'll post that one later.

While I like their current identity, I think there are too many white helmet teams. Their red shells were much more distinctive, so I'm bringing 'em back for this concept.

I took a different approach than I usually do with this one, just to shake things up. I started with the logo, a more detailed, menacing buffalo that's charging at you.

I don't think it's necessarily an upgrade over their classic logo, but I wanted to try a completely different style of sports logo than their current logo, and I'm satisfied with how it turned out. I didn't want to add too many blues, but I did throw in a pretty unobtrusive sky blue that's logos-only.

Since the logo ended up pretty burly and detailed, I went with a distinctive number font to complement it. It's a variation of IFC Los Banditos. I went for a western vibe, after the team's double-entendre namesake. It's not a typical football font, but it adds some life to what's otherwise a pretty simple uniform. Plus, quite frankly, I was sick of block fonts.

The uniform striping takes cues from the logo, specifically the banner or motion line or whatever's stuck to the buffalo's horn.

The color balance is such that you could toss out any combination of pants and socks on the road and have a half-decent look. As for the home look, R-B-W-R is ideal, but red pants could work a few times a year, since Nike's thin pants fabric has caused the league to move towards more colored pants, maybe for good reason.

C+C is appreciated!

Bills.jpg

I like the jersey style! The logo looks very Howard Bison:

70156582015.gif

So it's like they're getting Howard back for using the Bills logo...

6899.gif

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

1 minute ago, hettinger_rl said:

I like the jersey style! The logo looks very Howard Bison:

70156582015.gif

So it's like they're getting Howard back for using the Bills logo...

6899.gif

Thanks dude! Yeah, I was definitely inspired by the 3/4 view of Howard's new logo. (I could probably rename this thread "nate.sweitz steals logos from HBCUs and turns them into NFL concepts) Truth be told, I also used this old bull logo, (which I just found out was yours) for reference as to how to approach the legs from that perspective. 

15 hours ago, nate.sweitz said:

Thanks dude! Yeah, I was definitely inspired by the 3/4 view of Howard's new logo. (I could probably rename this thread "nate.sweitz steals logos from HBCUs and turns them into NFL concepts) Truth be told, I also used this old bull logo, (which I just found out was yours) for reference as to how to approach the legs from that perspective. 

Oh yeah! I thought I recognized those hind legs. That image actually got stolen by a Chinese fireworks company and I didn't know it until I was out one 4th to buy some fireworks and saw it!

OX2058-MAD-OX-25-SHOT.png

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

21 hours ago, nate.sweitz said:

C+C is appreciated!

Bills.jpg

I've never been a big fan of the red helmet, but this makes it look good. My only complaint is the number font, it's just too awkward for a pro football team in my opinion, and as I've said before, I hate single color numbers if the team has more than just one color and white. Wonder what the home blue would look like with red pants?

I love the fonts for Buffalo, especially the wordmark font! The one-color numbers look good. The red helmet is kinda odd, but it works well enough. I just think the logo's too detailed; it might be better without the red stripe.

Browns look great; no complaints! How clever with the striping in the letter outlines!

Great work, per usual!

I appreciate all the feedback!

On 10/17/2018 at 11:40 AM, ahowe6464 said:

I like the idea of the charging buffalo but it still feels that the logo's just a bit too much. Uniforms are great though, red helmet forever

Thanks. I got a little carried away with detail for the logo. Might end up streamlining it, depending on how much time I have.

On 10/17/2018 at 1:06 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

I've never been a big fan of the red helmet, but this makes it look good. My only complaint is the number font, it's just too awkward for a pro football team in my opinion, and as I've said before, I hate single color numbers if the team has more than just one color and white. Wonder what the home blue would look like with red pants?

I get the criticisms. If I end up reworking the logo, I'll probably have to change the number font, and if it ends up as more of a block font it'll probably have a red stroke. A stroke just didn't work with this ornamental of a font. Until then, here are a couple of other jersey options, including the home w/ red pants.

Bills-uniform-options-copy.jpg

On 10/17/2018 at 4:30 PM, vtgco said:

I love the fonts for Buffalo, especially the wordmark font! The one-color numbers look good. The red helmet is kinda odd, but it works well enough. I just think the logo's too detailed; it might be better without the red stripe.

Browns look great; no complaints! How clever with the striping in the letter outlines!

Great work, per usual!

Thanks. Without the stripe, it just becomes a blue blob, which is probably a sign that the logo isn't bold enough. 

Next up, the Pittsburgh Steelers!

I really like just about everything about their current identity, even their italic Futura jersey numbers. But in this series, no team is untouchable, so here we go.

This concept is essentially a modernization of their 1967 "Batman" uniforms. The yellow yoke returns, with a notch added on each shoulder that's about the same width as their helmet striping. The Steelers are pretty much the ideal grey-facemask team, so I brought those back, and dropped the grey stripe from their simplified primary logo so the helmets didn't get too grey-heavy.

The primary-colored star shapes from the logo are the most criminally underutilized part of their current identity, so they'll show up on the pants striping and back of the collars from now on.

The alternate goes full yellow and black monochrome like their color rush, with a black-background version of their logo. I was really digging the black pants I came up with for the alternate, which got me wondering why the Steelers never wear black pants. Now they can for a handful of games every year. They'd look pretty sharp under the lights.

I was surprised how much I liked the monochrome black look with the primary home jersey. The yellow yoke does a great job balancing the black.

I also threw in some white pants for the road if it's really hot or something.

I don't know if the Steelers are ever gonna make wholesale changes to their identity again, but in the event that they do, this is what I want to see.

Let me know what you think!

Steelers.jpg

Steelers-jersey-combos.jpg

While it's your same great quality.... this is the biggest no for me that you've done. Mostly because I've never liked the yoke for Pitt. Love the idea of the sparks on the pant stripe, don't mind the idea of black pants at all, but I just cant help but think these would be so much better if it was the standard striping pattern instead of the yoke.

I love this look for the Steelers. It’s a departure, and yet it totally fits them and has some history to it even still. I love how tasteful everything is, especially the little sparks on the pants that provide something interesting. And if the Steelers ever changed thier primary logo, I’d want it to be to something just like what you’ve got. The whole thing is another win. Well done!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 10/10/2018 at 4:05 PM, nate.sweitz said:

Browns_new_old.jpg

Looking back over the thread, I realized that despite the tradition of how the orange jerseys look when worn, I think they would look better with just a brown number, rather than white with brown. It fits the simple aesthetic of the other two jerseys and the pattern of the outer stripe being the color of the numbers.

But regardless, even looking over your earlier work, the quality is top notch!

Archived