Waffles

Inter Miami FC Reveals Logo, MLS Expansion Club for 2020

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

What does that matter, what non-soccer fans think or know?  The target audience is soccer fans, old or new.  New fans can be educated in the organic nickname convention some of these teams use as they are educated in the rest of the league’s peculiarities and particulars.

 

In the meantime, the clubs’ brands stand perfectly well without a nickname explicitly stated in the name.  Nobody doubts that NYCFC has a strong brand - even those who hate us have to admit that we’ve got a brand.  The front office adopting “Pigeons” after we proposed it way back when only strengthens the connection between club and community, and strengthens the brand in the city every time they reference what we gave them. 

 

Trying to see how a fan-generated nickname that isn’t part of a club’s official name is possibly a bad thing. 

 

It's not a bad thing per se, but I do think it's used as a overstated copout, and I find it grating. I've never heard "Pigeons" used outside of this board or an MLS columnist looking to stay fresh on second or third reference (not even from a friend who's worked for the club since year one). Meanwhile, I have had to explain to a casual that yes David Villa signed for the New York City MLS team but no, that's not the Red Bulls, it's a different one; I can see similar situations in having to explain that the Los Angeles Football Club that has a cool new stadium is not that lower-case football club called Galaxy. Maybe Minnesota and its Loons are the exception to prove this rule, but I would have preferred that sort of name-stickiness to have happened where MLS decided a generic-name competitor to existing in-market teams was the move. Of course ultimately it's more personal preference than anything and it's clear the names alone have little to do with a team's success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Digby said:

I've never heard "Pigeons" used outside of this board or an MLS columnist looking to stay fresh on second or third reference (not even from a friend who's worked for the club since year one).

 

The club itself does use it, though.  They've done April Fool Gags around pigeons, they placed a plastic pigeon on top of one of the goals, and they're selling a ton of pigeon merchandise these days.

 

DIfwSm1XcAEYP6C.jpg C8HVbdjW4AMNKnw.jpgDdVGnK5W4AAEHhi.jpgDJys1sNWsAAopuq.jpg

 

And if you've never heard it used by people, then you haven't spent much time on the fanbase's social media.  Because pigeon references are pretty common there. 

 

3 hours ago, Digby said:

Meanwhile, I have had to explain to a casual that yes David Villa signed for the New York City MLS team but no, that's not the Red Bulls, it's a different one; I can see similar situations in having to explain that the Los Angeles Football Club that has a cool new stadium is not that lower-case football club called Galaxy.

 

 

How is "New York City, not New York Red Bulls" any more difficult than: "Giancarlo Stanton is coming to New York.  No, not the Mets.  The Yankees."?  

 

Sounds like we're really talking about your personal preference for American-style nicknames, not a branding problem.  Which is totally okay if that's what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see why someone who doesn't follow soccer not knowing who the Pigeons are is an issue at all.

 

People who don't follow soccer don't know who the Toffees or Red Devils are either; it doesn't devalue their branding at all because it's more of an "inside reference" than a critical part of the brand like Cowboys, Celtics, Yankees etc.  Think of it like "Bronx Bombers", except every team gets a nickname.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Kaz said:

I don't see why someone who doesn't follow soccer not knowing who the Pigeons are is an issue at all.

 

People who don't follow soccer don't know who the Toffees or Red Devils are either; it doesn't devalue their branding at all because it's more of an "inside reference" than a critical part of the brand like Cowboys, Celtics, Yankees etc.  Think of it like "Bronx Bombers", except every team gets a nickname.

 

I get that idea, I do, but "Bronx Bombers" isn't meant to exist in the absence of "Yankees" the way it's implied with teams who leave their team name generic and leave the nickname up to the fans. Maybe this would bother me less if there was any sort of standard across the league, instead of variously cribbing from English and Spanish and German and Russian and Portuguese all at once. It's just all very scattershot and confused. Anyway. Looking forward to Miami IDGAF or whatever they're calling it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Digby said:

 

I get that idea, I do, but "Bronx Bombers" isn't meant to exist in the absence of "Yankees" the way it's implied with teams who leave their team name generic and leave the nickname up to the fans. 

I don't think soccer nicknames are meant to be used in the same format as "Yankees" either though - unless it is actually part of the team name itself like Queens Park Rangers.  From my observation it is usually Manchester United or the Red Devils, rarely Manchester United Red Devils.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it’s official. 

 

 

I’m a sucker for a good logo animation.  But I'd love this logo anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They also released their version of the MLS shield. 

 

DmU9dyeVsAYaEed?format=jpg&name=large

 

Can’t deny, it’s a fantastic color scheme. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Well, it’s official. 

 

 

I’m a sucker for a good logo animation.  But I love this logo anyway. 

 

Loving it!

 

They also fixed the grammar. The leak had Internacional Club de Futbol.

 

On 8/15/2018 at 12:16 PM, Conrad. said:

Bit larger pic of the Miami crest...

 mlslogo.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pleased to see that the original Internacional Club de Fútbol Miami was swapped out for Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami

That said, I did chuckle at one particular example of typically over-the-top marketing jargon in the official unveiling collateral. To wit...

 

"The sun's seven rays... symbolize the seven seas that bring people to Miami from the seven continents."

Yes, Miami has long drawn drawn scores of immigrants and visitors alike from... Antarctica??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

 

Loving it!

 

They also fixed the grammar. The leak had Internacional Club de Futbol.

 

 

 

Great catch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2018 at 7:41 AM, Digby said:

 

MLS: so organic. I don’t really buy the fan-made nickname idea as part of a brand. If you talk to a non-soccer fan in Seattle but ask them if they’ve been to a Sounders game, I suspect they’ll at least know what you’re talking about. Can we say the same about the “Pigeons”? If you ask about the Reds in Toronto, will they ask you if you took a wrong turn in Ohio (or Liverpool)?

 

I don't think that "Pigeons" or "Reds" are meant to fill the same functionality as "Sounders" or "Timbers." The latter are the official names of those clubs; the former are just nicknames that have been adopted informally over the years. It's like the difference between "Yankees" and "Bombers," "Canadiens" and "Habs."

 

No, the average person in NYC will have no clue what you're talking about if you ask about the "Pigeons," but they'd probably also do a double-take if you ask them about the "Bombers" without first referring to the Yankees (and might promptly have you arrested in our post-9/11 world ?). But most New Yorkers with even a passing knowledge of MLS would know what you're talking about if you said "N-Y-C-F-C," just like anyone in NYC knows exactly who the "Yankees" are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I'm pleased to see that the original Internacional Club de Fútbol Miami was swapped out for Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami

That said, I did chuckle at one particular example of typically over-the-top marketing jargon in the official unveiling collateral. To wit...

 

"The sun's seven rays... symbolize the seven seas that bring people to Miami from the seven continents."

Yes, Miami has long drawn drawn scores of immigrants and visitors alike from... Antarctica??

 

You're gonna love this then lol

 

 

 

 

DmUnWTlWwAAGjoW.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Referencing famous Italian and Spanish clubs at the same time! Double word score! At least it isn't Beckham United, and at least they found a Spanish speaker to proofread the logo (even though we're now introducing Red Bull New York-levels of "what is the name of the team, again?). Better than the Marlins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the logo. Love the colors. Hate the name. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

They also released their version of the MLS shield. 

 

DmU9dyeVsAYaEed?format=jpg&name=large

 

Can’t deny, it’s a fantastic color scheme. 

 

These badge recolors help demonstrate why the MLS rebrand from a few years ago was such a great success. It's really cool that the MLS logo is designed to be adapted to each team the way it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the Miami logo and color scheme, but can someone please tell MLS that you don’t HAVE to have FC or CF attached to practically every brand? I’m a diehard Sounders fan and the FC just feels forced and unnecessary. I bet it’s gone in 5-10 years. Most locals just say “the Sounders”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inter Miami FC Reveals Logo, MLS Expansion Club for 2020

September 5, 2018 - 15:26 PM

Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami, a Major League Soccer expansion side for the 2020 season has unveiled their team name, logo, and colour scheme via Twitter this morning… although the club prefers to be known as Inter Miami CF. The […]

Read More...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now